Tuesday, August 27, 2013

W34: And so it begins

August 18-24, 2013

The start of the 2013-2014 school year has arrived. I am now the mother of 4 school kids. We are taking over 4 Rivers Community School one Romans kid at a time.

Monday we went to the movie theater with the Forsbergs and watched Planes {Austin, Caysen and Ethan watched the 2nd Percy Jackson movie instead.}

Tuesday the kids requested one last cousin day before school started so the Bairs came to play. The soon-2-be-kinders did a fashion show complete with Emma doing their nails. Due to circumstances I didn't get a picture. :( Trust me they are READY and super cute!


Wednesday Spencer and Lucy had their yearly check-ups. They are both doing stellar. As goofy as ever.



I had them look at Jane also because the thrush is back and I urgently do not want to get it again. They prescribed another antibiotic. I guess we'll see what happens and in the meantime we are nursing cautiously.

We came home and prepared for our Back-2-School party. Emma was in charge of table and decor, Ruth dessert and boys games. We wanted everything ready at 6 o'clock when dad came home so we had enough time for everything.

Emma did a fabulous job making apples to hang from our lights, an artistic and impressive banner and I helped her with the centerpiece. It looked great. She is a super helper.



Spencer helped with the spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, water melon, corn on the cob dinner. Ruth and I made the cupcakes from scratch and for some unknown reason they flopped. The boys didn't seem to mind. After dinner we had a dance party followed by father's blessings and scripture study.

The blessings were beautiful. I was especially touched by Austin and Emma Lynn's. Here are the highlights:

Lucy
- Be mom's helper
- Learn to be potty trained
- Be happy
- You are the JOY of our lives

Ruth
- Heavenly Father loves you and He knows you.
- Seek out what makes you happy.
- Help kids in your class follow directions, be a leader and lead by your example.
- Seek out new friends and choose friends who make good choices.
- Love of learning
- Your teacher will love you.

Spencer
- Heavenly Father loves you and know you.
- You make everyone happy and smile.
- You have a gift to make others happy.
- Share your light with others.
- School will become easy.
- A desire to want to read and a love of reading.
- Help your teachers, be obedient and learn principles of the gospel.

Emma Lynn
- You are a talented young woman.
- Use your talents to bless others.
- Heavenly Father wants you to be His hands
- Make good friends.
- School come easy as you open your mouth your tongue will be loose
- Pray for help, Heavenly Father knows you and loves you.
- Pray about your fears to overcome them..
- Help your siblings. Do not be annoyed or fight with them.

Austin
- Heavenly Father know you. He gave your great talents and abilities. USE them!
- Learn and obey
- You know what is right and wrong so choose the right.
- You are very smart. Do not take it for granted, use this talent to help others and be humble.
- Meet new friends. Watch wisely at the choices they make and don't follow or talk bad about them
- Help your teachers
- Turn in your homework and be responsible.
- The Lord knows your heart and watches over you.

I never sleep very much the night before school starts. I am excited for the kids to begin a new chapter, to learn and grow and further develop their talents and strengthen their testimonies. This year I was craving the stability of routine. There is always a lot of self reflection {especially when sending a kinder.} Did I teach them all they need to know? Are they well prepared? Will they be able to CTR? Did I spend enough time with them? Did we read enough books? Did we make lasting memories? And I could go on and on. The time is so fleeting and each day needs to be cherished or the time has past.

Kurt made a delicious pancake breakfast that morning while the table was set with Good Luck notes and first day accessories {belts and watches for the boys, necklace/earring for the girls.} Excitement was tangible and faces alight with anticipation. And of course the traditional first day pictures:







Kurt was kind enough to take Lucy into work so that I would have less distractions when dropping off the kids. Ruth told me that I didn't need to take her to her classroom, "I know where it is." Wow, ready much? First day rules, mom goes with. :) Ruth was by far the most excited while Spencer and Emma Lynn were experiencing a few nerves. Like I knew he would, Austin took off the minute we got there {and I didn't see him again until pick up.} The rest of us took Spencer and Emma to their classes and then made our way up to kinder.

                                                        Ruth and Senora Brito
                                        She hung up her backpack and found her table.

And then its a hurry escape for the mom as tears are already coming. As I was driving away I really, really wanted to turned around, run into the classroom and take her home with me. Sigh.

Picked up Lucy and then we met Jen at the Starlight for breakfast. It was great to visit with her and a perfect distraction of time! She even brought me a freezer meal. So grateful for good friends. After cleaning, laundry and naps it was time to get the kids!!


Happy Happy kids! It was fun to listen to everything they had to say on the way home. The car was full of happy chatter and sharing {oh why can't every car ride be like that?!} Ruth exclaimed, "I made a best friend! This is the BEST day of school ever." The others were also very happy with how the day went. Ruth was just happy to find out, "We get to go to school tomorrow too?! Awesome!"

Saturday Kurt and I went over to Boise. He watched Jane so I could do a session. So great! LOVE the new video and so grateful.Then we went to a sealing together for a family in our ward. That night Jane and I went to a Stake dance.

Jane is 6 weeks! She is very alert and will stay awake in between feedings, makes eye contact and follow you. She is feeding once or twice during the night. Her first smile was this week on the first day of school! Thank you sweet girl. Still has thrush and on antibiotics. Likes to be held and travels extremely well. Perfect little snuggler. Smitten.










4 comments:

Ben and Elaine said...

Jane is so cute! I'm sorry she has thrush again, I am praying you don't get it. That's the last thing you need. Sorry. The kids are too cute in their school uniforms. Ruth is a darling kindergartener. Love them.

I like how you involved the kids in planning the back to school party. I will need to remember to do that with our next party. Kids love to be involved. :)

I love you and your beautiful family. Reading your blog makes me miss you all SO much. I'm happy your happy and enjoying love to the fullest.

Maren Richards said...

Ya'll look great! I love Emma's creative back 2 school poster. And you look fantastic btw in the school photo with Ruth you posted. All those photos of Jane are just adorable. I am dying to meet her in person. Love you!

Joseph Richards said...

Cute kiddos. 4 in school! Can't believe they are growing up so fast! You have a great family.

Karen and Roger said...

Cute, cute cute! I love all the thoughtful traditions that go into the first day of school. Of course they're excited!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...