Monday, June 12, 2017

A God of Miracles

May 21 - 27, 2015

Sunday, 05.21

Monday, 05.22


Tuesday, 05.23
 



Wednesday, 05.24

 



Thursday, 05.25
Happy Birthday, KAREN!


When I answered the phone Tana said, " Your boy..." I could tell by the way she was talking that something was wrong. "Is he alright?" I asked. "No, he's trapped under the vehicle and it's so heavy. Bring someone to help lift." I ran out the door and yelled for Austin. We jumped in the suburban and tore up the dirt road across from our house. (The girls were on the tramp and I didn't even tell them what had happened or where I was going in my panicked state of mind.) When we pulled into the yard I immediately saw the Ranger flipped on its side with Spencer's little leg trapped underneath. I gasped at the reality of it as my heart sank to my stomach. I ran to the other side to see, and talk to Spencer. "Have you prayed?" I asked him. "Yes!!! 12 times." He cried out. "Keep praying!" Seconds later Austin, Elaine, Tana and I tried to lift it. We couldn't even make it budge. We tried again for the sake of trying. Still nothing. It hit me then how stuck he was and how helpless I was to fix the situation. It was a dark reality.

Tana called 911. I called Kurt. He was more an hour away hoping to just make it to graduation on time. As I got off the phone I pleaded, "Who can I call? Who lives close and can come quickly?" The clear answer came, "Craig Froerer. He loves Spencer." I called Marla and she answered after the first ring. I quickly explained the situation and where we were. Meanwhile, I did all I could to help keep my boy calm until help could arrive. We prayed some more, we sang hymns together and we imagine a happy place free from pain (it was Braxton's house!) He was in so much pain. He would get so worked up and his breathing would get rapid. I helped him do controlled breathing so he wouldn't hyperventilate. He was worried he was going to lose his leg. He apologized for getting in the accident. He promised not to do it again. And then he apologized some more.

Craig and Marla arrived before the EMT responders. Craig assessed the situation to help get Spencer free and Marla offered support to me. (that was so comforting and wonderful to me.) At some point not long after the ambulance and EMT crew arrived. I'm not sure what all happened - my only focus was trying to keep Spencer calm and comforted. I know Craig hooked a chain onto the ranger with his pickup. They dug the tire out a little so it wouldn't crush Spencer when they flipped it. They ended up lifting it (at least 6 guys at this point) and slid Spencer out. Craig said later that it was so light. The motor is in the front and they are heavy vehicles. It shouldn't have been that light. He knew angels were assisting. We figure he was under the Ranger for at least 30 minutes.

I held him on my lap after he was out and they immediately started to assess his situation. They got his shoe off and pant leg cut. You could see his bone. It was crazy. "I want a picture!" I said urgently. My phone didn't have enough storage available so we were scrambling for someone to get a picture. Meanwhile, Spencer isn't feeling anything in his feet and there is no color return in his toes. I could hear them talking about reconstructive surgery. The EMT is getting impatient with my picture request and just as they are about to splint and wrap his leg when Tana was able to get the picture! I know, I know I was totally being a crazy mom. But I'm especially grateful now that I have documentation of this miracle.

They loaded him onto the stretcher and into the ambulance. A police officer asked me a few questions, made a few vague arrangments with Marla and then I grabbed my purse and jumped into the passenger seat of the ambulance. Did I even say goodbye to Austin?? Luckily they were able to start an IV in the ambulance to give him something strong for the pain. I only had 12% battery at this point. So I made a few calls and texts to get things situated for the kids, especially Austin to graduation. When we arrived at the hospital the EMT told the nurse basic rundown of the accident and concluded by saying, "Possible fracture." I laughed. "Possible???!" How could it NOT be broken?  The Doctor came in quickly and after seeing his leg declared she had never seen anything like this. The X-Ray tech said the exact same thing. The fat in his foot had basically made a cushion around his bone. NOT A SINGLE BONE WAS BROKEN. I'm still in shock as I type this! After they left the room from delivering the amazing news I told Spencer that there were angels protecting him today. "I know mom." He immediately bowed his head and said a prayer out loud of his gratitude for the safety and protection he received.

We waited for the x-ray result to come back. Spence was able to get a nap at that point {thank you pain meds!} Then we received the instructions on the art of wearing a boot and using crutches. He was mildly excited about that. We will see how long it lasts. I never would have believed that he would have walked {with crutches} out the hospital that evening. Truly there is no other way to explain what happened. It is a miracle. I feel so humbled and overwhelmed with the magnitude of it all. I truly felt the Lord's love tonight as I witnessed so many miracles. That is an amazing and unexpected birthday gift.

We finished up just as Austin was done at graduation. He took a few pictures and then wanted to go to the hospital to see Spencer. Bill and Cindy brought the girls home. Marla had left pizzas and popsicles for dinner when we got home. So so grateful for our village. My heart will always be indebted to them.



Friday, 05.26
Happy Birthday, MOM!

Saturday, 05.27

~~~Romans Reflections~~~







No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...