Tuesday, December 10, 2013

W49: Tis the Season

December 1-7, 2013

Happy December. Happy Christmas season. Happy Christmas music. Happy Christmas decorations. Happy Christmas acts of kindness. Happy Happy Happy!

I sound like I've finally caught Lucy's excitement of a few weeks ago, "I'm so EXCITED right now {{shaking}} because Christmas is coming!!! {{insert grin so big your cheeks hurt.}}

After church we had our family council and looked at the calendar and made a plan {I love making good plans full of fun and wonderful things.} We scheduled a day for the family traditions that are important and fun to make sure they happen before the year is over {Polar Express Night, Gingerbread House making, Sledding, and Caroling.} We also made a list of people we want to give Christmas kindness to. We are calling it: DACK {Daily Act of Christmas Kindness.} We are going to DACK everyone's halls to make them merry and bright! ;)

For our spiritual thought we watched a Christmas Mormon Message that said it perfectly:

We put Christ in Christmas 
when we give the gift of ourselves. 

That is our goal. And naturally we want to record it all.

Sunday, December 1
We DACK the halls for Kea by making her a scripture and carol Christmas Count. .

That evening we went to the Stake Great to be Eight for Spencer. That boy made me smile that night. He was so eager and so excited. He raised his hand for every question and knew all the answers. I'm grateful for his obedience, desire and preparation to be baptized. His baptism date has been set for
April 12, 2014. Its gonna be here before I can blink.

Monday, December 2
We DACK the halls for the residents of the Dorian nursing home in Ontario. As a Girl Scout troop we went caroling. It is only a short distance from the school. After we sang the girls went around each of the residence to shake hands and talk with them. I was really proud of these girls. What a great group of young ladies. I was touched by the spirit and truly nothing can put me in the Christmas spirit better or faster than caroling.





Look how cute and excited my kinder is to ride the bus!

 Before we went caroling all the girls made Christmas ornaments to take home.


That morning I subbed preschool for Gwen {she is in the presidency with me) in Nyssa. It made for a crazy week. I dropped the kids off at school, drove to Nyssa, dropped my girls off at Maria's and then rush to the preschool to teach. I finished the 2 classes with exactly enough time to rush and get the kids from school. It was fun to teach again. BUT it sure made the day and entire week more hectic and crazy. I cannot tell you how strongly and grateful I am to NOT be a working mother. Even something like preschool can take you away from your focus {raising your own kids.} Biggest shout out ever to my husband. GRACIAS!!!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013
We DACK the halls for the Bair family by delivering a goodies and a Christmas Countdown chain.


I persuaded Lucy to stay home from Cub Scouts so we could reclaim our house {laundry, dishes, other necessary chores} since we would not be home much with preschool this week. Kurt says I don't like to be home and maybe some of that is true. But I need at least ONE day to be home otherwise I might go crazy with the dysfunctional state of the house.

Jane is loving her bumbo. She was totally chilaxin.

We made bird seed feeders in Cub Scouts. Emma finished this painting in art. {the easiest and fastest yet according to her.}

After Cub Scouts we visit taught. The kids did great to entertain themselves. When we were finished I found the chairs set up in a row in front of the stage. All the gym lights off except the stage spotlight, the curtains drawn and my phone set to record, ready for action. Naturally they were sadden that they could carry out their show. I love their creative minds and that they can self entertain while I do my visiting teaching.
Braining storming play ideas {and taking selfies.}

Wednesday, December 4
We DACK the halls for Grandma & Grandpa Romans by bringing them dinner {on Monday Grandma was released from rehab after her hip surgery.}

There is more to this DACK though. When I picked up the girls from Maria's she had soup and bread waiting for me. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness. It isn't often that it happens and when you are always the one giving sometimes its a nice surprise. As we were leaving Nyssa I knew I needed to visit Grandma and Grandpa especially after I learned she had just gotten home. I used that soup that Maria had made for me to give to Grandma and Grandpa. Ok so Kurt thinks its so funny that I was so grateful for the service shown to me but then I turn around and give it to someone else. I knew there was someone else that needed it more and I am grateful to Maria for enabling me to service someone else that day. I think it was a beautiful chain of service. PS I did not give away the bread. The kids and I consumed it {ALL} before gymnastics. Deliciouso

Lucy and Halle - to silly peas in a pod

We stopped in at the library to make Christmas crafts while Spence was at gymnastics. When I asked them to look at me so I could get a picture. Lucy put her wreath on her head and then gave me this pose. While I didn't bat an eye the lady across the table started laughing loudly at Lucy's antics.

Thursday, December 5
We DACK the halls for Grandma & Grandpa Romans by putting up their Christmas tree. It was a process and I do not have an engineering mind. I am so grateful that Austin was there and luckily grandpa remembered one clue that proved to be very helpful. Eventually we got it up although it was missing so many branches I'm not so sure we did them a service...

It was really bugging me that we didn't have all our Christmas decorations out. So I used the hour before gymnastics to set up the nativities. I love my world wide collection. Lucy does too.

After gym we picked up Ruth from school to take her to the dentist. She had 2 cavities that needed filled. She has already had a lot of work done in her short life and the last time was a bit traumatic. But she was older and we were hoping it would go better. She was a rock star! They gave her a stuffed puppy to hold and said she could keep it if she did really well. She earned it plus two prizes. So grateful. She has been lovin' on that puppy {named Fluffy} ever since. She had a lot of swelling and was talking non-stop {not that abnormal for her} but it was not very coherent. She was ready to go back to school when the numbness wore off {about 2 hours later.}



Ruth was suppose to have her ballet Christmas party that evening in Nyssa but after getting grandma's tree up she was starting to look a little ragged, the pain was starting to set in and her face still swollen. I wanted to get her home and into bed. She didn't argue. Before we left town we bought a Christmas tree from a local Boy Scout troop in Ontario. They secured it on top of the suburban and everything. Unfortunately we didn't have time to decorate it that night but we were able to enjoy the beautiful scent and satisfaction of taking one more step in the direction of Christmas Decor completion.
  
Friday, December 6, 2013
We DACK the halls for the Rufs. We Candy Cane attacked their front door and Ruth gave them a one-of-a-kind wreath she made at school.

Kurt and I went to the temple that morning. It was just about THE lamest date ever. I will clarify. The temple was NOT lame. {We did sealing and officially completed all the family names my dad gave us for Christmas last year. I love doing sealing around our anniversary.} But we had to drive over separate cars. THAT was lame. He needed to pick up parts. I needed to pick up supplies for Super Saturday. We did not have enough time to pick up all our items together and make it back into time for the school kids. So we drove separate, ran separate errands and met up for lunch at the Olive Garden. It was delicious especially the part where Kurt had a gift card and the meal was free.


When Kurt got home that evening we decorated the Christmas tree. The music was blaring and hot chocolate consuming while the kids got busy. Usually I try to filter some of the ornaments that go on the tree. I was trying to get the lights and garland up around the nativities so ALL the ornaments are on the tree. LOL its special. But Christmas is for kids and they love it.


Ruth made this adorable card for Rudolf.






That night at dinner Jane would not stop eyeing our food. And since she is so close to 5 months {and I usually give them rice cereal the minute they are 4 months} we decided to bust it out. {I even had some in the pantry.} She ate a little bit. She would let her tongue hang out of her mouth forever before trying to swallow. It was funny. She wasn't overly impressed but didn't ever cry.




Saturday, December 7
We DACK the halls by inviting Grandma Cindy to come to the nutcracker with us. It was the first time she had been to a ballet. It was fun to share that with her. I love the nutcracker. This is the second year and a fun Christmas tradition to share with my girls. Lucy is already asking to come with...I'd better figure out what age she can join us. ;)


We woke up Saturday morning to 4 inches of snow. Kurt spent most of the day plowing our driveway, the church parking lot, and sidewalks. He is a good man.


Most of the day was spent crafting at the church. YES! It was Super Saturday. I kinda love these days. I invited Angelica to come again and she did. She brought her girls and we didn't see them again until it was time to go ;) Everyone is kind and welcoming to her, it makes me happy. I was in charge of 2 crafts this year {I volunteered to help because I'm a dork like that.} It went well and it will be nice to have some sleep again.



Spencer also had his last basketball game on Saturday. Because of super Saturday he went with the Bairs. There were only 5 kids and apparently they got into the groove and won both games. Spencer made a basket in each game!! I'm so proud and excited for him. I'm really sad I missed it. I'm glad he could finish his season on such a high note.

I was able to take a short nap before we went to the nutcracker. It was necessary after all the late nights this week for preschool and super Saturday. I must be getting older because I cannot crank out those late nights like I use too.

~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- We stopped at McDonald after the nutcracker to get cookies and milk {too cold for ice cream.} Their reader board said, "Mcrib is back!" Emma asked me what "M. Crib." was. I said I didn't know. She asked again {and again} and so when we got to the window I asked the lady. "You mean McRib?" Bahhahahahaha 
Ya, that!
- Emma took these two pictures this week while we were getting ready for school. It made me realize two things:
1. Look at her. It really struck me. She looks like every other teen and pre-teen I see posting selfies all over the place. How does she know how to do it so effortlessly. And why is she looking so big?
2. I need to smile more.
                                          

And Jane is rolling with it all. Kurt likes to come and prepare her {mentally} for all the challenges and drama of being a girl. I have no doubts its helping. ;)

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...