Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Halloween Festivities

October 25 -31, 2015

Sunday 10.25
First let me take a selfie on the way to church.

Tio spoke in sacrament meeting and did a great {from what I understood. It is so difficult to wear the translator when I'm trying to help Lucy and Jane be reverent.} Ruth gave Tio more presents she had made for him. She sure adores him or see his need. I love her giving heart. Sister Mendez, Sister Webb and I did a musical number of "How Great Thou Art." I'm not sure how it sounded ... but its over!

After church the kids and I got the house ready for our trek kids to come over. Kurt picked up Trevor and Kailee from Parma. It was the first time we had EVERYONE back together since Trek. Plus my birth children - ahhhh it made me so happy!! We had caramel apples. pumpkin cookies and popcorn. We had a short spiritual lesson {as some kids ran amuck} and then played a few games.



My kids adore the trek kids and they are so good to play and interact with them. What a blessing families are.

Monday 10.26
Emma picked out our ponderizing scripture this week:

Sadly Spence woke up sick. Quote, "I have egg burps. I'm going to throw up today." It carried on long enough I could tell he wasn't faking it so I left him moaning on the couch while I took the others to school. 10 minutes after I got back he threw up. He called it. This is becoming a bad habit for him since we moved into this house! Poor kid.

The sunrise continues to take my breath away.


Emma went first for piano lessons which allowed me to drive her straight to art after she was done {and pick up Austin and Ruth on time after their lessons.} Emma was happy because she was early for lessons for once. Lucy was happy to play with her friends. They sent us home with a bunch of peppers from their garden. YUM

Ruth had earned enough piano points to buy something from the piano prize store. She was super excited about her purchase. Good practicing Ruth!

Then it was the mad dash to get dress and beautified for family pictures without stressing. HAHAHA The girls went to town on the peppers after they were ready. Maria was worried we would run out of day light and wanted us to come as soon as possible! As soon as Kurt and Emma got back from Vale and they got dressed and I touched up Emma's hair we were out the door {and 15 minutes before our appointment. GO US!}




We took our pictures down by the river on the Froerer family's property. It seemed like we were done quickly and very painlessly. It seemed too good to be true. No complaints!

 Kurt and the girls getting their picture taken.

Their 3 youngest kids came with them and were playing on the playground during the shoot. Our kids joined them when it wasn't their turn. By the time it was done they all plotted to have ice cream together {it is our tradition to reward ourselves with ice cream after surviving family pictures!}  So the Drapers came to the house and we all had dinner together {soup from the crockpot and they brought pizza.} Most importantly root beer floats.

Tuesday 10.27
When I left to take the kids to school I found this pleasant sight.
Totally what I wanted to do this morning. At least the sunrise was still beautiful. 

We had met Kelli at the school and Tyler and Coleson came over to play while she got her hair done. Coleson is a cutie and the girls love to love on him. We met up at Lucy's gymnastics.

They made these super cool ghost

Robotics was awesome. Barbara set up for a guest speaker to come and present, Montessa Young. She also worked for the extension office {4H} but on the Idaho side and she has been running a robotics team for 3 years. It was so great to ask her questions, let the kids see and touch the competition Lego kit and do some very basic programming. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for the competition on December 12th but her presentation, time, experience and knowledge were invaluable to me. 




Because robotics took longer than normal it was rush to dance afterwards. It was observation week! YAY!! These happen once a semester so they are golden to me. I left Jane at home with the boys so I would be able to watch the girls dance. Spencer had basketball practice.

Ruth is first with Jazz and then Ballet 2 in which Emma is the class assistant. She leads the girls in warms up and stretches, does the dance up front for the girls to follow and whatever else Miss Amber needs help with. Claire helps with Lucy's class. Great experience for the older girls. It was wonderful to see the younger ones dancing and the older girls helping. So rewarding all around for me. I LOVE watching Ruth. She is so precise with the moves and counting and is so focused. She rocks it!




At Lucy's age I'm grateful that she listens and follows directions. haha She has fun and loves it. 





I didn't get a picture of Emma and Claire in pointe prep. They do not learn dances or perform it is strictly conditioning and exercises. I was surprised that Emma was struggling because she is faithful about practicing at home. But it was good for me to see so we can keep working on strengthening her core at home. Miss Amber is wonderful, she is where she needs to be and she such a hard worker. I know she will master it. Look at the cute cookies Miss Amber made for ALL of her students for Halloween. She loves cats ;)

While we were at dance Kurt told me that President and Sister Timmons were coming over at 7 to visit. My first thought was, "There are dissolving the branch??!!" Kurt made a similar joke when they arrived. In stead they brought a huge basket of chocolate, fruit and a Marie Calendar pie just to show their appreciation. Wow, that was thoughtful.

I realized after the Robotics presentation that we needed to get our kit put together outside of our club time. Time is precious to program, design, refine, etc... So I finally gave Austin the "go ahead" to start building the pieces of our kit {used in the competition.} It had arrived a week ago and it was killing him not to open the box. He was pretty much in heaven and glued to this spot for the next 24 hours. I was rude and made him go to bed and school in between.


Wednesday 10.28
I continue to organize and unpack little by little. My parents coming the next day is a super incentive. In the process I found the dress up dress. The little girls were so delighted.

Cayson came home with us after school to help work on the robotics kit.


Spencer had a cub scout field trip to the Nyssa Fire Station. Just as the parents were picking them up a real fire call came in and the fire fighters left on their trucks in a hurry of lights and sirens. How is that for an effective field trip?!

Exactly 24 hours late Austin had the entire kit built. He was obsessed about it and showing us the finished pieces. No doubt, very cool.

That evening we had the branch for a NDH {noche de hogar} bonfire. {We had to do it on Wednesday because of our family pictures on Monday night.} It had been drizzling all day, a true yucky fall day. I was wondering if we needed a backup plan or if anyone would come {that is always the concern.} People came and stayed and roasted lots of hot dogs and s'mores. Warmed up by the fire with hot chocolate. It was GREAT. I LOVE hosting events like this. I love that people came. Like Angelica and the kids. Louis and all his kids. Chema's non-member friend Norma. I love sharing testimonies around the campfire. It felt great to do something and that it was successful. I love our little branch and we will keep inching forward with tiny baby steps.














Tio gave this drawing to Ruth tonight. She was over the moon and immediately wanted to laminate it so it would stay nice {which we did.} I love their friendship.

Thursday 11.29
This was destined to be Lucy's BEST.DAY.EVER. She truthfully and sincerely says that about every ordinary day {love her happy outlook} but today was stacked with so much fun and goodness. First off was her Mommy n Me preschool Halloween party at the Drapers house. We had A LOT of fun with the hair, face paint, glitter {body and hair} 



Elsa slightly dominated the party {and Halloween in general.} Love my busy, happy, beautiful BEE!


Then we immediately drove to Ontario so she could join her smart gym preschool class for their Halloween party. SUGAR OVERLOAD.

I was running back and forth trying to finish up laundry and making sure the house was ready for my parents to arrive. Its never finish but luckily my parents always love me. After school we started getting Lucy and Ruth ready for a super-fun mommy date to FROZEN Disney on Ice. We went all out with our costumes. I'm going to blame it on the fact that it was Halloween week. But look how happy and beautiful they are!





During this process Mom and Dad arrived!!! We stopped to give them a tour and hug and then I rushed off again to take Spencer to his music lesson. As soon as I got home from that we rushed off again to make our show on time. I felt rude to leave so quickly after they arrived in a flurry of activity but its pretty typical of me. Dad was super helpful to pick up Emma from her dance carpool in Parma while 2 had meetings with branch members.

We met up with Andrea Roche and her twins, Oakley and Reagan {in Lucy's preschool group} at the Chick-A-Fil parking lot. After eating we rode over together. The show was magical, the girls were completely captivated and we had so much fun! I loved sharing it with my girls












Friday 10.30
Even after our late night {at least some of us} we managed to get the kids to school on time. It helped that the little girls would stay with grandma and grandpa. The school kids were motivated by the Harvest Party that would be happening at school. We decided to join them after lunch. It was nice to have the morning together especially since I had run around crazy when they had arrived.

The girls loved going for a walk with grandpa. They were in search of a rainbow. 

They also loved the dress up clothes grandma brought.


When we got to the school it took forever to find the kids {they were divided up into groups stationed throughout the school in different centers.}

 This is the face of {crazy} EXCITEMENT 





After school Grandma and Grandpa took Ruth to A&W in Nyssa for her special baptism date {since they will be on their mission when she is baptized.} She loved being with them one-on-one. I think the feeling was mutual. :)

Austin went home after school with Marcus. He was super happy, he's been asking a long time for an opportunity for them to hang out.

Lucy finally crashed after all the excitement of multiple parties, favorite visitors and an ice show. She plays hard and then will crash wherever, like the stairs.

Emma finished her drawing for the Library Theme competition. We will turn it in tomorrow {the deadline and yes it was stressing her out that it was wasn't submitted yet!}

The 2 of us headed over to Star for her first Nutcracker practice. She was worried that she didn't know the dance they taught her at the audition. I tried to reassure her that is why they were having practice. We were both tired. She slept on the way over and I did during her practice. We stopped at Target on the way home for a few things before picking up Austin.

At home they watched a movie together - it was a perfect wind down after all the parties.

Kurt spent the time installing a new water filtration system. It is like MAGIC and the water is so divine. I can drink my 8 glasses a day without gagging now. And a bonus, I feel my love for my husband renewed each time a drink a glass. Water has never been so delicious to me!

Saturday 10.31
Happy Halloween!


That morning the girls and I made pumpkin sugar cookies for our neighbors, a few people in the branch and ourselves of course!




Austin, Lucy and Jane went with me, in costumes, to deliver to our 3 neighbors just below us. We stopped to visit at each place. They were very kind and sent us away with candy, popcorn and even a wooden pumpkin decoration I had complimented them on!! It was a perfect time to introduce ourselves and start a friendship.

Kurt and Tio were home when we got back and we made individual homemade pizzas. During which Kurt admitted that he prefers Papa Murphy's over homemade {WHAAAT??!!} I'm still in shock. The rest of us thought they were delicious.

We loaded up into 2 vehicles to go to the 4 Rivers Cultural Center to see the Dia de los Muertos exhibit. The 3 oldest had worked on the exhibits in their language groups at school. It was cool to walk in and see big pictures of our grandparents on the alter.


Always a little Harry Potter going on. always.

We enjoyed the Japanese garden. Jane loved looking at the "Wish-eees"



When we got home the kids played Halloween games while Kurt took a nap and I visited the Delgado family {I visit teach her. She is our inactive RS president.} Although they didn't know who I was when I arrived I was grateful their teenage daughters were home to help translate. It was very good


When I got home we started getting hair and make-up done for trunk er treat. During that time Bill and Cindy stopped by to visit. The kids were excited for even more candy {we hadn't even gone treat or treating yet!!} Luckily they were here long enough to see everyone in their costumes.

Lucy, the bee this time, crashed waiting for everyone else to get ready. Halloween festivities are exhausting!

Pictures before we headed to trunk er treat

Jane as a Dragon {or Liz the Lizard when she was with me.}


Lucy as a busy bee {she did put on her striped leg warmers and black boots!}


Ruth as Piggie {from Piggie and Gerald books}

And Hermonie, Harry and Ron 




 I love this capture my mom got of what it looks like to get these precious photos ;) haha

Miss Frizzle and Liz the lizard. 
I really need to dye my hair red but we had fun. 

Tio was a great sport and wore this clown get up that the kids gave him.

I thought the Nyssa trunk er treat was a bit lame. Maybe the Branch will be in charge next year! But the most important is is that the kids had a fun time. Spencer saw his friends the second we got there was off for the rest of the night. Proof is in the next picture when we couldn't find him for our group shot. He was with his own group.




Kurt was an identity thief. 






Another Halloween is in the books. I love this new tradition of having family visit :D




~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- 4/5 rock Dia de los Muertos. Sugar skulls made by Emma Lynn and Spencer.
   
-
- I love hearing my kids at the piano. Practice before school gets you 5 extra points :)

1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

I love Lucy in the rabbit costume on the bridge. It's just such an awesome picture. :) And I guessed what Ruth was even before I saw the book. Fun costumes!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...