Friday, November 13, 2015

Our Thankful Hearts Week 1

November 1-7, 2015

"We are Thankful for Education." - Austin
Sunday, November 1st
Fast Sunday. I knew I could NOT prolong bearing my testimony in Spanish another month. I sat down with Austin and he helped me with 5 simple sentences. And then I said them over and over in my mind {and heart.} I was emotional just thinking about it. When they turned the time over for testimonies no one got up so I did - time to get it over with. I was crying before I even got up to the stand. But I did it. My heart is grateful and I am humbled.

My mom also bore her testimony. She had it written out and she rocked it. Spencer was epic-ly irreverent in Primary and I told him that bear his testimony would be ONE way to show Heavenly Father he was sorry for his behavior and that he loved him. The spirit worked on him and soon after he too bore his testimony.

I'm grateful my parents could come to the branch and join in the classes and meet our branch family. I love how fully they were able to participate as they have been studying Spanish in preparation for this mission in December. I keep thinking as I reflect upon the happy visit that like Nephi I can say, I have been born of goodly parents. It has been the foundation of my faith and a constant blessing {that spans the generations.}
 It is a mystery as to what I am doing...

We had a nice dinner but the main highlight was the lemon bars Grandma made. So delicious.

The sisters stopped by and shortly after Kurt and I went to visit the Buenos family while the kids stayed with grandma and grandpa. They watched a church movie they had brought with them from their library. When we got to the Buenos house all the lights were on. As we walked up to the door and knocked all the lights went out. No one answered the door. All we could do was laugh. It could NOT have been more obvious they were avoiding and didn't want to answer the door. Good to have a true missionary experience.

"We are thankful for the Gospel" - Emma Lynn
Monday, November 2nd
This week Kurt picked our ponderizing scripture as we strive to have "no contention in the home." LOVE this verse. To go with it we started learning "Cuando hay amor" {Love at Home.}



It would be awesome to report that we had a wonderfully peaceful, happy week on the home front. Why is it that it seems to be worse when you are trying to focus & improve it??!!? Happy endurance.

After I picked up the pig for my grandparents from the butcher my parents got back on the road to head home. It was wonderful to have them come visit. We love having them come!

Took Halloween down and put up Thanksgiving decor.

But most exciting of all is that the Delgados came for dinner {I had invited Rosa when she came to church the day before.} They actually came {minus Oscar who was working} plus they brought Paula. Tio was also there! They had a lesson afterwards {between the Spanish and running after little kids I don't even know what the subject was about.} Paula who is not a member seems the most excited about the gospel. I hope her excitement will rub off on the rest of them. The evening made me happy!

"We are thankful for animals" - Spencer
November 3rd
This will also not come as a shocker but Spencer was throwing up again that morning. This has been 4 weeks in a row that he has missed a day of school because of throwing up. This happened at the beginning of the year also. In the end we put him on probiotics to get some healthy flora restored in his stomach. So I started that again and started looking into possible food allergies...

After I dropped off Lucy at smart gym I met Kelli at Grandma Renae's to help box up some items to put in the DI trailer.

Then it was back home to my sick boy. He had been napping so he picked out a game for us to play while Jane was taking nap. Random one-on-one on a Tuesday? Pretty great. If he hadn't been throwing up I would have thought he was faking sick to hang out with me! ;)

Lucy is also SO excited to show me what they had been working on in smart gym that day. I just love her excited for EVERYTHING. Look at all this great counting she did.

In Robotics I divided them up into 2 groups and half worked on the presentation and the other half robotics. I'm glad Austin is there to handle the robotics part. Everyone looks to him {including me!}




Marcus came home with us afterwards and Chelle picked him up on her way home. We were already gone to dance at that point. Austin worked on the robot while Marcus pondered??

Jane was overjoyed to go to the Penny Pig library again {she had been staying home on Tuesday with Austin since xc was over.}

"We are thankful for family." - Ruth
Wednesday, November 4th
Spencer and Emma are BOTH on Harry Potter 5. It drives Emma crazy that he caught up to her. He is just really into the books. Every free minute both of their heads are in the book. We currently have TWO copies checked out at the library. Check them out as we drove to school:

Sister Collins {who lived in Vale as a greenie last year} was doing splits with Sister Guitterez. I had them both over for lunch. It was great to have them time with both of them. On Saturday we found out that Sister Guitterez was being transferred. It made our lunch date even more special to me.

After school I made them get together so I could document this HP obsession.

We got down to the church late and Spence missed his cub scout field trip ;( I felt really bad but he was FINE to go home and read more HP. Emma had activity days. They made play dough which she is giving to Lucy and Jane for Christmas {its hanging out in the frig downstairs until then.} Austin went to open gym at the school for basketball which is starting in January. Not super excited for more running back and forth BUT super excited its doable with our location. Happy he can get exercise with his friends. We had 15 minutes before it was time to pick up Emma for our mommy date. We went to M&W so he could get one of their famous donuts while we chatted.

That evening Kurt and I had a few moments to sit on the couch before mutual. That always a rare but enjoyable experience. We love watching the kids play together {especially when love is involved.} I think this had something to do with a circus and training animals.

Kurt and Austin went out to the shop to start building the LEGO table for Robotics before mutual.


"We are thankful for helping mom & dad." - Lucy
November 5th
While Lucy was at preschool that morning {Roche's house} Chelsey and Livi came over to study Spanish. She found a workbook for us to use on Amazon. It went well and I'm excited to have a study buddy. Still looking for a native speaking partner. I know the spirit will lead me to the right person.

Kelli brought Lucy and Jonathan home and we invited Tyler to stay too. The 3 of them had so much fun the next couple of hours together. After playing inside for a short bit they spent the rest of the time outside. We love good friends!

 She's the cutest, showing them her Project Life book! 

We had Robotics after school. I am starting to feel the stress of getting ready for our competition in December. I finally voiced it enough to Kurt and he will be coming next week. Phew!


While Spence was having his drum lessons we were loving all the leaves.







Claire was sick that day and not going to dance. So immediately after Spencer finished we all headed to Star. The older kids were excited to have the chance to go to the famous penny pig library.
 Look at these kids. We could very easily and comfortably live in the library.
Since Olive passed away the library was given a new guinea pig. They let you vote on a name and the kids all had fun with that. The little girls like Pumpkin and the older ones Sparky.

"We are thankful for phone, email and texting communication." - Mom
Friday, November 6th
Chelsey introduced me to a new app called YouFood. It is a picture food journal to keep track of what you are eating, get new healthy meal ideas and encourage others on their journey to eating right. I have been enjoying it. The little girls love sharing my Green Smoothies in the morning!


We also enjoyed family breakfast with Ruth. Still glad she lets us come.


Afterwards we went to the hospital to visit Kea who had surgery the day before. We stayed until the girls got very comfortable {aka loud and jumping around but thankfully not on Kea.}


Lucy had fun creating during Jane's nap.

I got a call from the library that afternoon that Emma had won their drawing contest! She is now the spokes person for the library bookmobile for this school year. Her drawing will be made into posters, bookmarks, her picture in the paper and a prize. I'm so excited for her! I love that her hard work and talent is being acknowledged. They wanted me to keep it a surprise as they would be announcing the winner at their library board meeting next Thursday the 12th. I realized afterwards that Emma couldn't be there because she is in Star for dance at the same time. ;( The library was understanding and said to come in the day after. Since she wasn't going to be able to attend the announcement I told her after school. Her reaction was so cute. These pictures are just screen shots from the video Kurt took so not the best pics but she was surprised speechless and then excited!

 
We headed to Star {3rd time this week!} for nutcracker practice shortly after. I practiced Spanish and napped while she danced. Then we drove over to the temple. Kurt and tio were headed over to do a session just a little later. I did institories while Emma Lynn read in the car. She had a huge blanket and the car keys to stay warm. She was super worried someone was going to come get her. I told her the temple parking lot was the safest parking lot to be in. We said a prayer before I went in. While I was in the temple I got a note, "Sister Romans, your daughter is in the waiting room. Love, Brother Romans." Evidently when he got there he saw the suburban and went to check on her. She was cold and worried so he took her inside to wait. I finished the name I was doing and then went downstairs to get her. We went to the Cracker Barrel for dinner {since Kurt wasn't with us and he hates that place.}


"We are thankful for mom." - Dad
Saturday, November 7th
After getting home late from the temple Kurt and Tio we up and gone early to go elk hunting in West Fall. He came home that evening exhausted after hiking all day. He reported that they didn't see anything but beautiful country.

Spencer had his first basketball games that morning in Vale. He played a Vale team at 9 and a Parma team at 10. They lost both games. But he had fun, played good defense and made 3 baskets.


The little girls loved sitting by the Wilsons and their stash of Halloween candy. Lucy bonded with Hannah.

After the game we met Maggie for lunch at the Miracle Eatery {used to be Dairy Queen.} It was good to catch up with her.

Let's be honest - they just went for the ice cream. 

While we were at the game Austin and Emma Lynn went to TVCC's science day {for 5th-9th grade.} They divided them up and rotated through didn't science experiment stations. The theme was about COLOR. The parents were invited to come back at 3 to watch a magic show. When we got back from the game Spence went to play at Ashton's house. The girls watched a movie while Jane napped. When it was time to go to the show ALL 3 of them were asleep. I woke up Ruth and told her I was leaving and then took Jane with me {she had been asleep a long time.}




We enjoyed the science magic show and hearing the excitement from their day. Popping the gas filled balloons and putting bubbles on fire were the best. It was fun that friends were there too. Love fun and educational events for my kids.




Quiet evening at home playing games, watching a movie and doing Project Life.

~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- When discussing our ponderizing scripture during devotional one morning Ruth said that Satan brings contention into our house by tempting us to wear our shoes in the house and our shoes have goat heads {puncture weed} on them and made us mad.
- Lucy is currently obsessed with meat sandwiches. She asks for one as soon as she wakes up for breakfast and every meal. One day we were out of lunch meat and cheese so she made a miracle whip sandwich, and loved it. Blech but she was happy!

- Jane having halloween withdrawal and wanted her face painted every day
- Tio drew a picture for Lucy {she asked for one after she saw Ruth's} and she was so excited and immediately colored it!

When Kurt and Tio were driving home from West Fall on Saturday night after their day of hiking {supposed hunting} they claim to have seen a UFO sighting. Kurt told the story in great detail and is now a complete, firm and devoted believer of UFO sightings. And he's dead serious. I keep waiting for him to be like just kidding. But he hasn't. In all my years I NEVER would have thought I would hear him talk like this about UFO's let alone become a believer. Its just weird. He searched the internet to see what news stories covered - they are reporting a missile launch in California. He is convinced its a "Government cover up."  

- I always use a paper towel to open the bathroom door after I wash my hands in a public bathroom. Lucy has asked me why and we often talk about keeping away the germs. I was surprised when I looked down to see Jane using a paper towel to open the library door. What a cutie.

1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

Maybe I'll stop reading your blog because it just makes me miss you guys. :) Tell Emma congrats! That's so exciting that she won! I'm glad you have a book and a partner to practice espanol! :)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...