Sunday, May 31, 2015

Like a Lamb to the Slaughter

May 24 - 30, 2015

Sunday 05.24
When we woke up that morning Kurt said, "Today is the day that changes our lives forever."
The nerves completely accompanied that statement.
I kinda went through Vale 1st in a fog. And then church was over. We drove to Nyssa. I asked Kurt how he was doing {he has been completely excited and ready to get to work throughout the waiting to be set apart process - unlike my constant desire to puke.} He said he felt like a lamb going to the slaughter. I couldn't have described better myself.

The missionaries asked me to play the organ again. My hands were shaking so badly - nerves from what was going to happen - I had to exercise a lot of inner focus to get it together so I could play the hymns. After the sacrament I sat down with the family. The missionary conducting turned the time over to President Timmons. He announced the names of the Branch Presidency, asked for our sustaining vote and then they went to sit on the stand. The presidencies and their wives all bore their testimonies followed by Elder Cole {from the mission presidency and he is over the Spanish missionaries.} Kurt gave a powerful testimony. It was a witness to me that spirit has no language barriers. Kurt translated my testimony because my faith is not strong enough for the gift of tongues yet. Austin loved Sister Gonzalez Spanish, "She has the best Spanish here!" Chelsey Mendez gave her testimony in Spanish, it was simple but I was so jealous {in a good way!} I want to be like that!!

Directly after sacrament meeting we went down to the Stake President's office to have them set apart. Austin came with us plus Cindy, Bill and Jeff. Julie stayed out with the kids. I was grateful because I wanted to actually hear the blessing. Kurt said as soon as they placed their hands on his hand he felt the weight of the calling. The first line of the blessing was the work will be hard & you will know where to focus your efforts.

President: Kurt Romans 
1st Counselor: Antonio Gonzalez 
2nd Counselor: Chris Mendez 


Branch Presidency plus Stake Presidency
{P: Alan Peterson, 1: Ron Jacobs, 2: Alan Timmons}

After our meetings we had a delicious meal that Sister Gonzalez had prepared. She has a generous heart. It helped the branch instantly bond and feel like a family. It is going to be a blessing to belong to this group. I have NO DOUBT that this will be hard and a lot of work. But I also have NO DOUBTS that this will be a choice time in our lives, that we will be stretched and grow and therefore blessed beyond measure.




 And Kurt can be quoted {many times} saying, "Let's Get to Work!"

It was also Vale's graduation. So after leaving Nyssa at 5 pm we headed straight to Amber's house for her grad party. By this point my head was going to explode. I had been sneezing a lot with allergies coupled with the tears and exhaustion {up till 1 am finishing a grad picture slide show} and extreme emotions it was a deadly combo. It was fun to see the Alberts again. We made plans to meet for a day trip to Anthony Lakes this summer. Hopefully we can make that happen.


Kelli's grad was our other stop. We were able to visit longer but about 9 pm I had to pull the plug before my head shattered on their lawn. Lots of meds before passing out.

Monday 05.25
Memorial Day, Karen 28th Birthday and my 35th. I knew specifically what I wanted to do and what I NEEDED especially after the intense Sunday we had. Day Trip with my family to Strawberry Lake. That is my happy place in Oregon. We packed a lunch, sweatshirt and left our house at 10. The day was completely PERFECT. I can't think of one thing I could do to improve it. The weather was perfect, we were worried about it being too cold {we had never been to Strawberry that early in the year} but after getting our bodies warm with the hike to the lake it was perfect. Thankfully because Kurt had accidental left his sweatshirt at home. The absolute BEST part of the entire day is that the kids were amazing hikers. The hike to Strawberry lake has always involved tears, dramatics and major diversion to reach our goal. Not this time. Jane jabbered happily in the back pack carrier and Lucy was an "expert hiker" {as she called herself.} It made the whole day so enjoyable. After a short rest at the lake we hiked to the falls. It never disappoints.

 Before the hike right after lunch 


 Lucy was certain that every log was meant for her to sit on and so we had to try them all out. 























We stopped for milkshakes on the way home at "Austin House."

We got home around 8 pm. Kurt and Austin went back into town to help take down the flags. I started feeling all the effects of sickness from the day before. I really think it was a tender mercy to have good health at Strawberry all day!

I think the kids were slightly tired too.

Tuesday 05.26
Happy 60th to my mom. What a wonderful lady and truly the sunshine of our lives. She celebrated the day in the temple. I was grateful I had the chance to go that evening also.

I have been encouraging the kids to start going through things {throw away, give away!} Emma tackled the large job that was her desk. Yikes.


I met Maria for lunch - without kids - that is the beauty of summer when you have children old enough to babysit. The lunch was very needed, on both accounts. True friends are a blessing from God.

I was home for but 40 minutes and then left for the temple with Christy. Kurt was in Fields that day working on some pivots so I invited her to go with. It was stake temple day and Ethan Forsberg had had surgery earlier that day. It would be a perfect opportunity to stop and visit after the temple. Surgery went well and now they are waiting on biopsy results + 4 weeks on crutches.

Wednesday 05.27
That morning Emma had her first non-family babysitting job. She babysat for David and Leah Atkinson. Kurt and I were at a Robotics meeting at 4Rivers. We picked Emma up on the way home. She said it went well. The kids had enjoyed the games she had prepared. I love excited babysitters and its so great to see the babysitting kit from Activity Days in use!

I took Emma back to the school and she helped the teachers clean up their rooms for summer and then went to dance with the Robins. We picked her up that evening from Parma. There was less of the push for the littles to sleep on the way home {love you summer!} but Ruth still did. That girl likes her sleep {which is interesting because she was the hardest baby for sleeping.}

Kurt had his first presidency meeting. He also had the opportunity to talk with the High Counsel. He is excited to work with his counselors.

Thursday 05.28
I worked in the shed {sorting and organizing and throwing away} all morning and early afternoon. While I was organizing the shed the kids were practicing a play they had written {even though they were suppose to be helping me.} "Sherlock Aplartments" {and no that is not a typo.} I'm sure opening night will be coming to a theater near me {family room} very soon.


Then we got the little girls ready for their clogging pictures. The actual picture happened during Women's Conference and we missed it so I thought it was super nice of them to have a make-up day just for us.
We picked up Jonathan, Baylea and Cayson on our way back home so they could play.


 I was craving some popcorn balls so I made a few batches. 

When Kurt got home I went and did some visiting teaching and he took the Forsberg kids home. 

Friday 05.29
I spent most of the day at the computer editing pictures and up-dating the blog. It takes a ridiculous amount of time. Keeping a record is important I keep reminding myself. In between we ate, read some books and cleaned. When we work together as a team it makes mom so much happier. I sure hope they can learn that {and save our summer!}

That evening Kurt extended a calling. He always comes home, "There's so much to do."

Saturday 05.30
Emma and I left that morning for her ballet recital. Marti took Spencer to baseball practice. Then Kurt dropped off Jane and Lucy with her when it was time to leave for the recital and took Spence {Austin and Ruth} with him. They picked up Grandma Romans on the way and Cindy met them there. Meanwhile Emma went through the dress rehearsal, I sold tickets, DVDs and gave back pictures. I like being there for the dress rehearsal because it allows me to take pictures close up and then I can just watch during the show. Emma and I ate lunch at Subway {its becoming a tradition} and bought safety pins {need to pin a belt to her costume.} And then it was time for me to leave so they could get ready for the show to start.

They presented the ballet of "Charlotte's Web." Each class danced a piece to tell the full story. It was great and so well done. Ballet 4 was Fall Leaves, Tap 3 was The Band, Ballet 5 was Rain. Emma did such an amazing job. She was so well prepared {she practiced daily}, confident and a graceful leader. I could watch her all day. It was great not having the little girls there because I could more fully enjoy the show. At the end Miss Amber presented awards for those who had the most practice points. Emma received an award. Its great to see hard work paying off. BRAVO Emma Lynn!! We love you amazing, hard working, diligent dancer.

Kurt took Grandma Romans home and the kids and I went shopping at Wal-Mart {gasp! but it was only a few blocks away} in prep for our trip to the coast. That evening we started washing and cleaning out all our camping gear. Getting excited to get away!!




~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- When your sisters peels a cucumber like a banana and tries to trick you and you just don't care.

- "I miss knitting. I should knit a few dish cloths." {Kurt}
- Austin came up with the saying: P.S.-Y-cho {it spells psycho}


No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...