Friday, December 11, 2015

Decking our Halls

November 29 - December 5, 2015

Sunday 11.29.15
After church, and live nativity practice {I am helping the young men with their parts. And man they are a quiet group! But I did find out that 12 year olds were invited to come. Austin is coming with me next week for sure!} Kurt, Ruth, Lucy and I went to visit Grandma Romans in the hospital in Ontario. She had had a small stroke when we were in Utah. Bill, Cindy & Nancy were there too. Grandma should be released from the hospital tomorrow. The girls were having too much fun with her walker.



We came home to have the most spiritual family scripture study to date. We ended early because everyone was laughing so hard at nacho libre quotes. Kurt even had to call a time-out during the prayer {can you even do that??!!?} so we could control our laughter. "My life is GOOOD."

Monday, 11.30.15
Emma picked this scripture to ponderize this week. I think it is memorize worthy.

Austin woke up with a stomach bug, always a great way to start the week. And really it was just a foreshadowing of what the week would be like. Since he was sick I left the little girls home with him when I ran the other to school.
After dropping them off at school I went directly to Norma's house and we went to "The Neighborhood" to practice Spanish together. We read the first page of 3 Nephi 11 together. It is slow and painful for me hahaha. I love having the google translate app on my phone. Its fast and easy.

While the kids were all resting after lunch I took advantage of Cyber Monday and finished my Christmas shopping. My goal was to be done by December 1st. Check.

Our lesson for noche de hogar was about why we give gifts at Christmas. We discussed the first and most perfect gift given to us from Heavenly Father and what gifts WE can give to Jesus. The next three weeks we will discuss {individually} the gifts the wise men brought. And since we too are wise men seeking Jesus in our life we will offer gifts of frankincense, gold and myrrh to our Savior also. I hope this will become a new tradition and an ever constant effort to keep our Christmas spiritual and centered on the Savior.

Tuesday, 12.01.15
We are studying the different names of Christ each day until Christmas for devotional. I loved doing it last year and really enjoyed the insight and focus.

Jesus is the Comforter. "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come unto you." John 14:18

Another advent tradition is a daily act of service. Today we thanked a ballet teaching for her many hours of service in preparing girls for their roles in the nutcracker.

The kids were SOOO excited to get their very OWN chocolate Christmas countdowns this year {that we had made at Sisters Day.} Thank you Kelli for making the first day of December so magical.

Nutcracker day! I had the time line written out in the kitchen so hopefully no one would get lost in the shuffle. Emma was feeling poorly {or just wanting to skip the few hours of school before we had to leave for the nutcracker} so she stayed home. I took the kids to school & then got Lucy ready for smart gym & prep for the long day ahead. We took Lucy to gymnastics and then picked up Ruth from school and headed to Caldwell. Ruth was in an educational show at 1 plus the dress rehearsal before that. We got there just in time. Luckily the baby mice put on these massive head pieces so it didn't matter if her bun was a bit messy in the rush.



They were well prepared to stay quiet back stage.  

Unfortunately we couldn't watch the show {for schools only, no tickets available} so we ran to Target to get Emma a light colored leo {all we have are black!} She had to keep me focused so we could make it back to pick up Ruth in time. Phew.
 Ruth found the mouse king's mask in the hall and we had to pose by it.

We went back to Nampa to pick up a vinyl order {Christmas presents to make for the branch} and grab some lunch before we had to be back for Emma's dress rehearsal. I noticed during the Angels rehearsal that our friend Kolette wasn't there so I sent her mom a text. Unfortunately I was the bearer of bad news - she thought the performance was on Wednesday, had her ticket purchased for Wednesday and was not prepared for it to be today. They were on their way to dance class so thankfully close by.  They arrived after the angels had finished their dress rehearsal. So it was jumping through a lot of hoops to see if they would even let her perform. In the end the ballet mistress said it was fine. Emma was somehow prepared with extra ballet shoes in her bag for Kolette to use & I gave her one of our tickets so she could watch. The boys were more than HAPPY to oblige. {Lucy took the other boy ticket because she actually wanted to go!} So gentlemanly of them.  
Thanks to Kelli and Kurt for keeping things running back in Ontario while we were at rehearsals.
 The Bon Bons

 Jane did so great to hang out with us all day. She did a lot of coloring in between reading and Dora.

As soon as Emma's practice was over {and thankfully it finished early} we headed back home for the sole purpose of taking Jane home. I did not want to sit through the nutcracker with her after she had to sit around rehearsals all day. We realized that our babysitter, Kaitlin Hasler was no longer necessary since Austin wasn't going any more. Tio and Kurt were at the house when we got there. We dropped off Jane, grabbed some dinner, gave a few hugs and headed back for the show.
 Fellow Bon Bon friend
 She was so excited to be there!

I was really disappointed with our seats. They were the VERY last row in the theater. I thought I had gotten really good seats. Apparently I was looking at it backwards when I bought them online. So sad. But we could see them and nothing was blocking our view. The girls did perfectly. I was so proud of them! I love the music & the dancing {especially the second after.} So fun. 
 The girls with their flowers and new nutcrackers

Wednesday, 12.02.15
Jesus is the Messiah: It is translated "the anointed" prophet, priest, King and deliverer. Used as an office or title. Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah. 

Daily act: thank cub scout and activity day leaders for their time and service in their callings.

Grateful for late start after a late night at the ballet. Lucy woke up with a fever. Austin was again sick with stomach issues.

Kurt had bought pellets and started the stove as per Ruth persistent request. Lucy was grateful for a warm spot to cuddle. I left them to rest with Austin when I took the kids to school. I picked up Coleson while Ty was at a Doctor's appointment but before going home again Coleson and I picked up a food order from the church and then delivered it. Its an easy service to do and I enjoyed it.
We kept the other two away from Coleson. Jane likes Coleson, I just had to convince her that she wanted to hold him! ;)


Spence had scout and Emma had activity days after school. As soon as they got home Spence and Ruth were helping me drag out all the Christmas totes and boxes. They were determined to deck the halls. The absolutely could not wait another day {or minute!} Poor Lucy just lay in the recliner and watched everything. You KNOW she was not feeling good if she couldn't participate in the Christmas cheer. They couldn't wait for Kurt to bring home a real tree so the boys hauled the fake one and put it together. After Kurt got home I gave them their new ornament for the year.







 Kurt was teaching them a country step to our festive Christmas music

Thursday, 12.03.15
Jesus is the Light of the World: "I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world." D&C 93:2

Daily Act: Pass out an entire box of candy canes to individual strangers. I love this picture of my happy service giver. The joy of service is becoming.


Hey hey its a miracle all 4 children went to school today. In other good news Lucy's fever had broke in the night and she was back to sunshine. Thankfully well enough to attend her preschool group a Halle's house {the letter J.} Check out their cool jellyfish.

Meanwhile Jane and I had to brave Walmart while she at school. I had to buy and deliver the robotics shirts so they could get printed in time for our competition next week. There wasn't enough time to go to Nampa and I knew that no other store would have 18 black shirts {in various sizes.} deep sigh. Well even though the check out lines were horrendous we made it out alive. phew.


Yet another robotics practice after school in prep for the competition. Kurt and I are definitely feeling the stress to get ready for this event {NEXT WEEK!!!} This is way more time consuming than we ever realized. I have not been pleased with the schools commitment to our endeavors. We seem to be the only ones caring that we are not prepared for this event. The time conflict with basketball practice has really been rubbing me raw. I'm trying to not let it fester.

The girls and I worked on our core values poster. These are a good group of girls!

Spence had drum lessons. His teacher was playing bass while he was rockin - it sounded awesome. I wish I would have gotten some video of it! Next time.

In between activities {basketball practice and dance} we continued to deck the halls. It seems to be a daily process, here and there, in the moments we are home. I love the kids excitement for everything.




I am going to love this long cupboard space for my nativities.

Friday, 12.04.15
Jesus is The Only Begotten Son: Jesus was the only person to be born of a mortal mother, Mary, and an immortal father, God the Father. From his father, he inherited divine power. From his mother, he inherited mortality and became subject to hunger, thirst, fatigue, pain and death.

Daily Act: Thank your mail lady for her hard work. I was actually at home when she delivered the mail & found the goodie we had left for her. It was fun to see her surprise and then smile with an unexpected thank you.

These two wake up with creative juices flowing. They love to water paint and color and draw.
All. The. Time.




So let me tell you about this time I procrastinated. Even as a 35 year old. You would think I've learned by now. MONTHS ago I offered to help Maggie with Kea's wedding. She asked if I would make the bridesmaids necklaces. I told her I didn't have a lot of experience with necklace making but I would try. Week of the wedding and I figured I'd been get that project done. I started Wednesday night and realized I would need to change the method that Maggie had to start. Thursday at Walmart I bought supplies to try a different style. There was one item I still needed so I was hopeful it would still work without it. Thursday night it was very obvious I definitely needed the missing item. Friday morning the first thing on the agenda was to go to Joanns and get the missed and greatly needed supply. Since they don't open until 9 I volunteered at the school until they opened. Mrs. Bodily had me trace a map of the world.

It took me hours to finish the 8 necklaces. I one point I broke two and had to start over. Ahhhh! I was so frustrated because it really should NOT have taken me that long to make. And I'm sure Maggie was starting to get anxious that she didn't have them yet. They are done, that's all that matters.

Jane was hilarious when we picked up the kids from school. She had the blanket over her head. "I'm hiding." They couldn't find her anywhere.

Let me tell you about this boy. He LOVES egg nog. He has been asking for his own carton to drink. All by himself without sharing. So I made a deal, if he got all his chores done all week I'd buy him his own carton of egg nog. He is generally very good about his chores but this week - he was extra motivated. He earned every drop.

Kurt and I went to Kea's wedding rehearsal that evening and then headed straight to the temple. Kurt let me sleep on the way over while he tried to memorize the wording of the civil wedding ceremony from the red handbook. It was a good session. 

Saturday, 12.05.15
Jesus is The Creator: "Behold, The Lord hath created the earth that it should be inhabited; and he hath created his children that they should possess it." 1 Nephi 17:36 

Daily Act: Bring treats to your local librarians

Marathon day. I thought we already had this day a few week ago. How has EVERY Saturday turned into the most jam packed day possible??!!! We could not have fit one more thing into this day if we had tried. Literally running from each event. Tio Jorge came over to work on a few projects at our place {namely, hanging Christmas lights!!} The boys helped clean up the yard, and porch a little before it was time to go. Spence had basketball games in Payette. Austin, Cayson and Marcus stayed at the house to work on programming the robot. Robot Work day. {Side note. They broke the robot while we were gone. After they finished program a sequence it was pulled out of the computer too fast, too hard. It is fixable but not with the deadline of competition in a week. We ended up buying a second robot, one day shipping, and had to start programming ALL over. It is ok to cry at this point.}

Spence did great at his games. As he said, he was "in the zone!" So fun to watch. They won both games. Grandma Cindy came and got some good pictures too!




Kurt & little girls left after the first game to head back to Nyssa. He took the girls home before heading to the funeral of our neighbor, Neil Petterson. {He built the house that we are living in.} Emma and I left 15 minutes after the second game started to meet up with the Book Mobile for the winter parade in Ontario. We walked {sometimes ran} with the bus throwing candy to parade watchers as we walked. It was a gorgeous day. It was a little alarming at the kids and adults desire for candy. Regardless Emma and I had fun participating together.





After the parade we met up with Cindy, Spence and Ruth so we could take them home. They enjoyed their pizza lunch with grandma and I appreciated the help as we tried to be everywhere at once. We rushed home to get ready for the baptism. Ruth and Austin came with Kurt and I to The FIRST baptism in the branch. SOOOO exciting! 18 year old Nelson Amaral. His father is already a member but he lives with his mother {who it against the church.} A young man from Nyssa 2 who is in his grade starting having the lessons in his home with Nelson. It was a beautiful service. The spirit was sweet, tender and almost innocent. I was so happy for Zach to have this missionary experience. So Happy for Nelson to feel the joy of the gospel and begin his journey back to our Father. It was a privilege to be there. Tender sweetness.

Nelson, his father Louis, sister Paola, and brother Brandon

Next I ran home to get the other kids ready for Kea's wedding. Kurt and Ruth left sooner because Kurt was getting nervous and did not want to be late since he was marrying them. We slid into our seats with just minutes to spare before they started walking down the aisle. Kea looked beautiful and happy and the whole event was decorated beautifully. But more importantly Kurt did a great job with the ceremony part. All his member buddies were teasing him, "good job preacher man!" Without a doubt he is glad its done. We enjoyed the rest of the evening festivities. The kids room, a delicious meal, the candy bar, and dancing. It was a fun night. Wishing Kea and Peter every happiness.







Coming home to this sight was icing on the cake to a long - but great - day. Thank you SO MUCH Tio Jorge!!






~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- "Being dead is complicated." - Lucy Romans age 4
- We are in full swing of the clementine season. Lucy, Jane and I consume our weight in them daily. And guess what, Jane can peel it "by myself." {shocker}
 - We are quite content living off of candy canes alone. Spencer likes to take the challenge to see how sharp he can make his candy cane.
- Jane thinks Christmas is just about the best thing ever. Every time she walks into the living room she throws her hands in the air and exclaims, "It's Christmas time!!"

1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

Roger thinks candy canes are gross so we never buy them but I have fond memories of sharpening my candy canes as well. :) The pictures of Kurt and the kids dancing are too cute. :)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...