Saturday, December 19, 2015

Winning

December 6 - 12, 2015

Sunday, 12.06.15
Jesus is the EXAMPLAR: "For the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do." 
3 Nephi 27:21

Daily Act: write Christmas cards to soldiers.

The Rick and Jolene were blessing their new baby, Clay that morning in Vale so Kurt and I went over for it. We left after the sacrament so that Kurt could get back to Nyssa in time for his meetings. Spencer & Lucy had talks in Primary. Emma helped them prepare while Kurt and I were in Vale. It was Lucy's FIRST primary talk. She was a little shy but did well, her picture is precious and my favorite part.
 


 We are in full music swing to learn all things Christmas {in Spanish and English.} After the branch was over I learned that it was Elder Whitaker's birthday. So I invited them over, & Nelson for cake and a new member lesson after the Christmas devotional.

After church I threw in the cake, whipped up some cookies for live nativity practice & lunch for the kids.
 Jane took snack matters into her own hands while I was getting lunch ready. 

 Then it was back to the church for the nativity practice. I brought Austin with me this time. Kurt, Tio and the other kids met us at the church for the Christmas devotional. There was technical difficulties trying to get the satellite to broadcast. Poor Kurt spent practically the entire time trying to jimmy rig it together so we could have both site and sound. Appreciate him. I think it was a good devotional haha.

Back at home I frosted the cake and made some peanut butter popcorn while the guys {including Austin} had a new member lesson with Nelson.




Monday, 12.07.15
Jesus is the ROCK: "Jesus Christ is the rock upon which we must build our foundation." Elder Donald Hallstrom

Daily Act: deliver goodies to RPM employees {Emma took a 2 gallon bag of peanut butter popcorn.}

This week we are ponderizing this - Spencer used it in his Primary talk and it is perfect {always} and especially for the season.

Even though it was raining Brittney and I still went running at 5:15 am in the dark. By the time we finished her little car was stuck in the mud. I tried to push her out but I was slipping and sliding in the muck. I was soaked and covered in mud. It seemed like a typical way for Monday to start. hahaha I just gave her a ride home.
 sadly the picture doesn't do it justice

I practiced Spanish with Norma after we took the kids to school. This time we started to read the next chapter in the gospel principals book. It was on Baptism. It gave me a great opportunity to teach and testify to her as we struggled to read together. I feel like this might not be the best Spanish learning experience but it is important for Norma's spiritual learning.

We went straight to the Draper's afterwards to do some Christmas gift crafting.



We went straight to Ontario after we were finished to run a few errands {groceries} before the kids got out of school. Sister Jensen had a doctors appointment that afternoon so we rescheduled our piano to Friday. That freed up a bit of time but Emma still had art & Austin basketball practice.

Kurt came home with a surprise that night - another Christmas tree {real!} I have been asking for a few years to have my own Christmas tree so decorate to my own pleasure. He prefers real trees anyways and so all things worked out to my favor this year. I feel totally spoiled and I love it! Can't wait to start decorating!! Thanks honey

We continued our gift study in NDH this week learning about Frankincense. It was burned as incense to worship and so we discussed ways that we could give greater, more devoted worship.

Tuesday, 12.08.15
Jesus is the LAMB OF GOD: "The Savior's atonement was a symbolic act as the sacrificial lamb of God. "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter." Isaiah 53:7

Daily Act: tape quarters to vending machines


I needed to pay a bill at Zion's bank & they weren't open {I had 20 minutes to kill} so I went to Wal-Mart. I went there last week too!! Why is it that I've gone to wal-mart MORE since I moved to Nyssa than the entire 3 years I lived in Willow Creek?! It gave us a good opportunity to do our daily act. And if I'm honest Wal-Mart is dead at 8:40 am in the winter so it wasn't too horrifying {but I will probably not admit that if you ask me in public!} haha

Lucy is always so excited for Tuesday and gymnastics! Jane and I ran a few errands {post office AND picked up our Robotics t-shirts. I LOVE how they turned out!!} We got to the school during recess. We played for a few minutes before scooping up Spencer for his mommy date.

Ruth has been loving tether ball during recess currently. She will always tell me who she beat or who beat her that day. I was happy to watch her play and capture her current recess play.

I took Spencer to Albertsons. Natural choice for a mommy date right? I gave him the "Christmas Challenge." These were the rules: he had $1.50 to spend, & it had to be RED. If he chose to use his money to buy something for someone else he would get a total of $3.
He found a red box for cereal for his sibling and a red pez dispenser {all the candies were red too!} He rocked that challenge. His siblings appreciated the oatmeal break the next morning too.

The kids were super excited about their new shirts during robotics that afternoon. It was like herding wild cats, lets be honest. Kurt and I were really feeling the crunch for our competition THIS WEEK while the kids were bouncing like squirrels on crack or too concerned with basketball to focus. Ahhhh!! I hope we survive this. Kurt and I just keep saying - let's get through Saturday and then it'll be all good. It is hard not really knowing what to expect.




The girls and I rushed off to dance. Jane hadn't had a nap at this point because we had been running around all day. She was in phased-out-exhaustion-zone on the way over. Claire thought it was so funny & tried to copy her. She eventually did fall asleep.

Always a good day when we can go to the penny pig library!

Kurt went to the temple that night because Tristan Anderson received his endowments. Kurt hadn't been feeling very good that day but during the session it got really bad. His stomach was churning and he was burning up with a fever. Cortney and Doug gave him a blessing in the temple parking lot and then he drove home.

Wednesday, 12.09.15
Jesus is the PRINCE OF PEACE: "The Savior is the source of true peace. Even with the trials of life, because of the Savior's atonement and His grace, righteous living will be rewarded with personal peace." Elder Quentin L Cook

Daily Act: deliver poinsettias

I was really, truly hoping we would be sick free this week. Sadly no such luck. Kurt continued to feel terrible with stomach issues. He even stayed home from work. Ruth also stayed home from school with a fever.Hopefully we can get it all done before Christmas comes!


I met up with Kelli and Brittney in the school parking lot. We took Jonathan and then Brittney went to her sisters day while we all headed to Westfall to help clean. I had left Jane at home to play and nap in her own bed since Kurt was home. 

I LOVE Cindy's new house. Sadly it was the first time I had seen it but it is so GORGEOUS. I just couldn't get enough. The view, the wood, the kitchen, all the details. I love all of it. I AM SO HAPPY for her. She deserves it to have her dream house. 



The kids did great to play and the girls even helped clean for a bit. They loved playing hide and seek with all the empty spaces. If only it could stay that way. haha It seemed like we had to leave all too soon to get the kids from school.

When I picked up Austin from basketball practice is was dragging. We had to go upstairs to get the laptop we had been using for robotics and email some programs so Kurt and Austin could keep working on it after hours. Many late nights ahead.

That evening was the Nyssa 2/Branch Christmas party. Kurt and Ruth were still sick and did not attend. EVERYONE wanted to know where el presidente was. Its good to be loved. We ate first and everyone was raving about the tamales that the branch brought {they actually got together Tuesday night at the church to make them.} I love the 2nd ward. They have been so welcoming and so kind about the branch joining our stake and sharing part with their ward. I'm so grateful for their loving attitude. 
                                      

                                       

Then it was time for the program. They had asked the Primary to prepare 3 songs. And we knew them well. They had the stage all set up with chairs for the Primary to set on. It looked really good except when it was time to sing they were so far back it was hard to hear them. Oh well. Jane made up for that. For some reason she went up on stage and sat with all the other kids {like she was big or something.} She was 3 rows back but when it was time to sing and all the kids stood up she moved to the front row. She stood there and smile and then sweetly turned circles, still grinning, sometimes lifting her arms or pausing to look at the audience. And when the song was over she sat back down in her seat. It wasn't loud or flashy but pain adorable. If I wasn't leading the kids I would have taken video and pictures of it! 
Kurt was suppose to be Samuel the Lamanite {again} but Hermano Gonzales took his place. I also really liked their decorations. There was a lot of use of natural greenery.


After the program Santa made an appearance. He came to a different room and wasn't the main focus, I liked that. We stayed late to help clean up. It was a great celebration and party.




 My girls were cuddling up with Sister Froerer. Lucy told her, "We're friends." And Jane? That face should be a health poster of the dangers of a sugar high.


Not sure which list this one is on. haha

Thursday, 12.10.15
Jesus is the GOOD SHEPHERD: "I am the good shepherd, and I know my sheep, and am known of mine ... and I lay down my life for the sheep." John 10: 14-15

Daily Act: return all the shopping carts in the parking lot to the store. We stopped at Grocery Outlet because they don't have any return cages in their parking lot. As we jumped out of the car we saw, Quentin, Spencer's basketball coach, who works there. It was fun to give service to someone we know.

That morning Lucy and I hosted the mommy and me preschool party. It was suppose to be Brittney's turn but they are in the middle of a big house remodel {new tile and carpet} so we switched turns.

We talked about the birth of Jesus and why we give gifts to others. Made gifts for our parents, decorated some Christmas trees, played a few games and exchanged presents. It was a success and all these cute kids were happy. Love this group of kids.





Austin didn't go to school that day - he slept till 12:30! Since he was home I could leave the little girls with him when it was time for Robotics. I ran a few errands before hand. I don't know that we feel anymore ready for the competition after that practice. Kurt and I walked away saying, it is what it is.

After we got home from Spencer's music lessons I saw that my new living room curtains had arrived. WAHOO. I got the iron out and set to work. It took me 1 and 1/2 hours to iron 12 sheer panels {more ironing than I've done all year!} But it was worth it. I LOVE IT. Every time I walk into the living room I smile. Great addition of color and the sheer still allow us to enjoy the nice view.

I love that Emma noticed the minute she drove in from dance. 

That evening my parents were set apart as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Sam, Grandma Karen, Kay, Sonya and Lorraine were there to support them. This picture makes we swell with love. I am so grateful and so proud of their example.

Friday, 12.11.15
Jesus is the REDEEMER: Redeem means to pay off an obligation or an debt. Redeem can also mean to rescue or set free by paying a ransom.

Daily Act: Visit a widow {our neighbor just below us, Ruth Petterson, who's husband passed away last week. She was watching a Hallmark Christmas movie so we stayed 45 minutes to finish watching it with her.}


That morning Brittney and I put together the baskets for the RPM employees {ham, clementines and chocolate} in preparation for the party that evening. We had piano after school and then stopped at our neighbor's to visit. Kurt was at Trevor and Nathan's wrestling tournament in Nyssa. They actually wrestled each other.

When Kurt got home we left for the RPM party. We all met at Shanghai in Ontario. It was easy to just go to a restaurant but there were still those awkward moments and lame speeches. Some things never change.

We were up late making sure we had all the right documents, batteries, cables and supplies for the competition. Hope we have everything!

Saturday, 12.12.15
Jesus is the COUNSELLOR: "The Lord counseleth in wisdom, and in justice, and in mercy, over all his works." Jacob 4: 10

Daily Act: pick up trash in a public area {Austin and I were able to do that at our Lego competition.}

We woke up at 6 and started gathering all our items and loading up the cars. I left to pick up Cayson and Kurt & Austin headed to the school. The twins still were not there so Kurt and I left with half of the kids and Raeshelle brought the rest after the twins arrived. We found our pit station and got everything unloaded. Kurt and I attended the coaches meeting and got a schedule for the day. Opening ceremonies kicked off the event. It was good to see what other teams did and I made lots of notes of things we should do "next time." There was A LOT of Star Wars influence. One team was called The Yodas complete with capes and yoga Santa hats. That was a little much for Kurt. "Just embrace your inner nerd" he kept telling me all day. It was a stretch to have him wear the nerd glasses I brought for the team just for the picture. The rest of us were happy to wear them all day.

The BOYS
 THE GIRLS



We had one practice run first thing shortly followed by our first "real run." You have 3 times to let your robot run the competition course and the highest run out of the 3 is your final score. We scored 290 for our first run. Even though it didn't complete everything it could have {and has done in practice} it was still a good score. The kids hoovered around the score board until they posted our score. They were excited to see we were in 4th! 

Then it was straight into our presentations. First was  'Core Values" & the presentation of our poster. The 4 girls worked hard on the poster & also the presentation piece. They had all their parts memorized. The twins are very shy and don't like speaking in public but did so well. I was so proud of them! As a team they had to participate a group team building activity {provided by the judges. We had no knowledge of what they were going to do beforehand.} They each had straws and had to blow all the balls into the marked off area. I was really pleased with how they worked together and all spoke kindly to each other and easily completed the task. Good work. Kurt and I were allowed to watch all the presentations but couldn't say anything.

The next presentation was on our Project. I was nervous about this one from the beginning. I was worried our project wasn't enough. {Each year the First Lego League comes up with a theme/problem that the teams have to come up with a solution for. They are trying to encourage engineering, research and problem-solving skills. This year it is trash. The "Project" portion discusses this. What is your approach to solving the problem, what are you going to do. Our team came up with the "Trash Chute." Basketball backboard, rim and funnel to making throwing away garbage fun.} When we got to the presentation room they didn't have a laptop to show our power point {while the other judges room did, oh well.} We had printed off the slides just in case so they flipped through the papers and read them while others looked around the room and fidgeted. It was painful to watch.

Straight to our last presentation, "Robot Design." We walked into the room & the judges just stared at us. The kids didn't know what to do. They stared back. Kurt and I couldn't say anything. It was THE. MOST. AWKWARD. silence I have ever endured. Finally Austin started talking. Ahhh. The rest of the judging was just as awkward and agonizing. Finally the judges started asking each person questions. Leslie was so nervous she didn't answer. Luckily she has a twin who could jumped in to save her. It was the longest judging session ever. I just kept looking at Kurt - are we going to survive?!!! As we walked out I collapsed into the side of the wall with a huge sigh, Kurt laughed while Marcus and Austin looked at me like, "What???" How did they not feel the same way?!?!! But at that point we could breathe a bit deeper - all the interviews were done - PHEW.

It was time for everything to break for lunch. We all headed out to Artic Circle. I was worried we would be too crunched for time {we still had 2 more robot runs to complete plus modifications to work on.} But I'm really glad we stuck with our original plan to leave for lunch. It was good to have a break away from the competition site.



We came back refreshed {and sugared} to finish the competition. It is amazing how tiny differences in the tables, a bubble in the mat, etc.. will throw off the robot by just a fraction but that's enough to not complete a task. That's why modifications constantly have to happen & trial runs are crucial. Austin is basically the only one who knows how to program {quickly and efficiently.} So all of this rested on him. He was starting to feel the stress.
  Notice how everyone is laughing while he is concerned & focused on the robots performance. 

2nd run
3rd run

The last two runs were close together. There was a little bit of time in between for modifications and then we were back at the competition table. The second run was ok {the worse of the 3 but still decent compared to most of the teams.} We were still at the top of the leader board. Our 3rd run was awesome! Our best by far. After the time was up there was lots of cheering from everyone watching, we knew it was good run. Our kids were glued to the score board until they posted our score. SECOND PLACE!! We could hardly believe it. I tried to remind them that our scores from the 3 presentations still determined our placement {each part is worth 25 percent.} No one wanted a dose of reality so I let them enjoy their excitement. It was worth it to watch Austin's reaction, the smile couldn't be wiped off his face as he bounced around the gym. Most of the boys went running outside and released a lot of energy on the play ground. It was perfect while we waited for the rest of the teams to finish.


It took about 40 minutes for the judges to meet, deliberate and tally total scores. During that time they had a high school robotic class do a demonstration for us. It was very impressive, Austin was completely enthralled. "I want to do that!" A DJ provided some music for the rest of the time. The boys immediately escaped back to the playground. We had fun with the girls though.

At the awards ceremony each team was called up to receive their participation medal. Then they awarded 3 special trophies and the Champion. We received the "Judges Choice" trophy! I was shocked. How exciting for rookie team! After all the trophies were awarded they announced which teams had qualified for state. We were second!! SO AWESOME after all our hard work. So happy for Austin and all these kids!




I made the kids these food robots as their team "trophy."
It was so fun to listen to them on the drive home. "We're going to State." chanted over and over. "I hope we have to leave school early on Friday so everyone will know how cool robotics is!" I love my nerd. So so proud.

Kurt and I were exhausted. I picked up Spencer from a friends {he rocked his last two basketball games. They won both and he made 7 baskets! Great season Spencer} By the time I got home Kurt was already asleep. I was so jealous! I did lay down for 30 minutes too.

Emma watched the kids while we were gone. Alyssa came around 11 so she could have a break from the long day. Emma made some Christmas crafts with the girls and the house was clean when we got home. She is a great babysitter.



Then we all watched "The Polar Express" together. Our favorite part is when the conductor delivers the hot chocolate.

~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- Austin came in dressed like this, "I'm a Mexican cowboy. I'm culturally confused."

- My mom spent a lot of time making us a puzzle nativity set {exactly like the one Grandma Karen made for us growing up.} It is so cool and I love seeing my kids love it just as I did growing up. It will be a treasure. Thanks Grandma!

1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

Janes sugar high pictures are the best! And WAY TO GO MAKING STATE! Just think how nice it will be when it's over! :)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...