Friday, June 17, 2011

Lucy Rae

Happy Birthday my beautiful NEW daughter! We are so glad you arrived today.
WE LOVE YOU!

I didn't sleep well last night, things just felt a little off. I woke up at 5 am so nauseated and pukey. Somehow I got back to sleep and the next thing I know I woke up wet at 8 am. Immediately I got into the bathroom to manage the mess. I continued to trickle fluid and it was a flashback to Austin...except this time I was 38 weeks.

I called Kurt, "Ummm, I think my water just broke."

He was just about to leave town for the day to work on a pivot completely out of cell phone service. I'm so glad it happened before he left.

I woke up the kids to tell them what was happening. It was better than Christmas! When I explained the process of water breaking Austin said, "Oh, that's disgusting!" Then Emma wanted to know, "Why is it all wet in the bathroom???" Oh, please I cleaned up.

Cindy came and got the kids while I packed my hospital bag {that was the one thing I didn't have done.} Before we left Kurt gave me a blessing. I was having irregular contractions on the drive over {8 minutes apart} and reality started to hit me of the road ahead...Flashbacks of 4 labors to bring children to the world came rushing back to me...I didn't feel ready.

We got checked into the hospital and they did a test to confirm that yes my water had broken. Since I was positive for the strep test again {I was also for Ruth's pregnancy} they immediately started antibiotics. They want the antibiotics to be in for 4 hours before the baby is born. I was dehydrated and veins kept collapsing so the nurse had a hard time getting the IV in. She came back 15 minutes later to check it and I looked down and my arm was started to swell like a balloon. The IV was definitely not in a vein! They moved me to a labor and delivery room and got another IV going.

After the antibiotics were finished we did some walking and then I got into the jacuzzi tub. At this point Dr. Rice suggested we start Pit. My water had broke at 8 am, the antibiotics were in and my irregular contractions were not getting regular. I knew that if they were going to get regular they would have by now. The thing is that I strongly, dis-like with a passion Pit. So I sat in the tub debating and finally I decided - I'm going to get an epidural. It was pretty much a mind game at this point. Obviously I knew that I could deliver without it but it came down to the decision to pamper myself, and see what all the rage was about. And so I told the nurse and the orders were sent.

I felt like a first time mom with the epidural since I was experiencing something so new. As soon as it was in they cranked up the Pit and you know what, I didn't care cause I couldn't feel it! I was feeling pressure so Dr. Rice checked me and it was time to push. I was surprised that I could still feel everything as I was pushing but its all good cause I know what to do with that. 2 pushes and little Lucy was born. She came out screaming, Kurt cut the cord and then they put her on my chest. She calmed right down and it was love. Yet one more cookie cutter mold from my baby factory. At least I know which babies are mine {or Kurt's!}


Cutting the cord


7 lbs 2 oz ~ 20 inches long

It was so surreal that she is here. I wasn't mentally prepared that she was coming today so I had to wrap my mind around that. Also with the epidural I missed the middle {painful!} part of the delivery process so it just seemed like {push, push} and she was here. Surreal.







The next couple of hours were just spent lovin' and welcomin' the beautiful new one. Grandma Cindy brought the kids to the hospital around 7 pm. I was still in the labor and delivery room at that point because they didn't have a room free in the mother/baby floor. By the time I moved to my new room visiting hours were over and Kurt took the kids home.



It was so beautiful and so precious to see all the kids welcome their newest sister. You can't replace such moments. I am a blessed mom.







I have never had favorites when it came to my children. They are all so different that you can't even compare them. But I will say, that TODAY, Lucy is my favorite child. I really, really wanted to go into labor on my own with her. I've been induced with the first 4 and I felt so lame that I hadn't experienced a "real" labor and delivery. So first of all she let me go into labor. Secondly she gave us enough time to get to the hospital {Kurt and I were both dreading a road side delivery!} and also enough time to get the antibiotics in. What a good kid! Thanks little Lucy for letting me experience in. {In hindsight my water breaking with Lucy wasn't much different that when it broke with Austin except that I was in the "safe-to-deliver" zone. So maybe I had experienced more than I thought...}

To record for history this was a busy day for family on both sides. Kurt's aunt Betty passed away this morning, Matthew celebrated his first birthday, Tim his graduation from High School and Karen a bridal shower for her up-coming wedding.


Glad you didn't want to miss the excitement Lucy Rae!

3 comments:

'T' said...

Congratulations Roman's family! Sweet baby Lucy you are just a doll. I'm so glad all went well. Loves!

Kelli said...

So glad that Lucy is here! She is so adorable and we love her so much already.

mom said...

I love Lucy! I love your postings!!! Thank you! It was so wonderful to read all of them. I also love Rachel and hope she will take care of herself and stop testing positive for strep throat!
(always a mom)
I LOVE LUCY! So adorable!
Austin watching over his sister is so tender and sweet! awwwww!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...