Sunday, January 27, 2013

w4: Single Parenthood

January 20 - 26, 2013

Monday morning Kurt left for Vegas again for another Valley conference {this time for service.} He enjoys these so much more than the sales meetings {he's a technical guy.} We missed him though.

Tuesday was the Pinewood Derby. The car was done in stages as Kurt was in town in between trips. Cortney actually finished up putting the wheels on as Kurt ran out the door. An hour before the derby started Austin and I haded on the decorative touches with Sharpie paint pens. He was extremely happy with the result so that made it a success in my book.




 

The pinewood derby went really well. Cindy had different stations set up around the gym {Drivers Test, Photo booth, Eye Test, Coloring page and of course Weigh In and Repairs.} I had invited Bill to play the role of grandpa that night since Kurt was gone. He had shipped out a load of cattle that day so it was ify if he would be back in time. I was really proud of Austin. We weighed his car and it was over so he went to the repair station and took out some screws and weighed it again. He kept working at it till it was just right. In the middle of that process I got busy helping other boys with my responsibilities.




We pay for a guy to come set up his track and computer and he handles the entire thing. It is beautiful and completely eliminates over worked up dads getting involved. Austin won his first race! He was overjoyed {and so was I.} He didn't win any other races but it didn't seem to matter. Austin had a genuinely great time that night. When I was talking with him later he told me how fun it was and how he loved seeing all the different cars and how they raced. I was again impressed with his attitude. It didn't matter how well he had done personally but the overall atmosphere of the night. He is a good kid and I'm grateful he had a fun and success night.





 


Happy news is that it warm up this week! YaaaHooo! Its amazing how warm 22 degree feels ;)
As things started to thaw we had some slick mornings and freezing rain. It is so much more enjoyable to feed our animals when its not so blasted cold. I personally think its a miracle that none of them have died. Although the big pig did bite Spencer this week when he went after their water bucket. I don't know how much longer they will be alive...

I taught preschool both Tuesday and Thursday this week {which means I don't have to teach next week when I get back which is super nice.} The preschool/mudroom was still a disaster from the food storage I moved over. It was letter M week so I got creative and left the kids a note on the preschool door saying the room was a MESS and they needed to take a MAP to find where we were MEETING {in my living room!} It worked out well and it was a fun change.


We got all our visiting teaching done this week. We met at Dairy Queen for lunch for one appointment. I had some very happy girls! ;)



This happens almost every day as we get into the car to run errands, pick up kids from school and walk for after school activities to finish. The younger siblings have to be easy going with the ability to sleep anywhere. I'm grateful for my day time buddies.



Friday I was able to go the temple with Shaylona who was receiving her endowments in preparation for her mission next month. I was so excited for her. She was prepared and taught and beautiful. It makes all those lessons, activities and hours of service worth it to see her in the temple. What a blessing.

 

After a small amount of sleep and a lot of work I left Saturday morning at 5:30 am to meet up with Kurt in Palm Springs, CA. He has a conference down here this week and they pay for the wives to come too. It sure takes a lot of work to go on vacation! Many thanks to Shaylona who is watching our kids the 5 days we are gone.

Lastly I want to share some randomly sweet every day moments. Austin and Lucy have a sweet bond. She adores him. Besides mom and dad it was first name she learned to say and she is constantly saying, "Austin. Austin. Austin. Where are you?" Monday night Austin decided to help Lucy put away the clean dishes. It was precious as he taught her and she beamed with pride. Love these moments.


 

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...