Sunday, February 3, 2013

w5: I like to get away

January 27- February 2, 2013

Saturday {of last week, Jan. 26} I left Vale at 5:30 am to head for the airport. Shaylona came to the house with her bags packed to stay for 5 days. I had 2 pages of instructions, lots of hugs and kisses and a heart full of prayers that everything would go well. I trust Shaylona completely and knew they would be in good hands.

Despite slick roads and fog I made it to Boise in good time. In the end it didn't matter because that same fog rolled into Boise just as it was time to take off. We boarded the plane and sat at the gate for 1 hour and 35 minutes. I am so grateful that I had my Kindle {and two new downloaded books to read.} That was just the beginning of a day of delays. Due to the wait in Boise I missed my connecting flight in San Francisco by 5 minutes. I got a new flight a few hours later with little problems. But when it was time to go the plane had not even arrive and so we waited again...again I was grateful to be fully immersed in the book that the waiting made little difference to me. I finally arrived in Palm Springs at 3 pm {two hours later than my original time.} Kurt was meeting me in Palm Springs from Vegas but he ran into trouble also. Since I arrived first I picked up our rental car and drove to our resort, checked in and took a nice long hot shower. Kurt's original flight was canceled, then he was put on a stand-by list and he finally made it on a flight arriving at 6 pm {six hours after he was suppose to arrive.} Phew. It felt like such a big ordeal to get reunited again! But so worth the effort.

 So grateful for the Kindle to help pass the time without stress or worry.
Immediately after landing you realize how cool the Palm Springs airport is. Its OUTSIDE. Pretty awesome. I kept thinking that they must be pretty confident of their weather!
 Our California Car for the week. Grateful for some independence. 
 Our room {1204} at the Hyatt Regency Resort in Indian Wells, CA.

Kurt had bought tickets to a musical for that night at 8 pm. After I picked him up we found a Target and loaded up on food for Sunday so we wouldn't have to shop or eat out. Then it was time for our show "Forever Plaid." It was a super corny plot but great music from a Barber Shop Quartet. And best of all it was clean! We were the youngest in the theater by 55 years at least. ;) With all the sitting I had done that day because of traveling my legs were going crazy and could not endure to sit still the entire performance. I stood  in the aisle for the last half. By the end two other ladies had joined me {a sad to statement about my health.}





Sunday morning we opted for the 11 am church {and we actually slept in! sweet treat.} We attended the Bermuda Dunes Ward. It was enjoyable to listen, reflect and take notes. I particularly enjoy the RS lesson from Elder Bednar's talk on being truly converted.

After church we went for a creation walk :) in Palm Desert on the Gabby Trail. We saw lots of beautiful desert scenes and the weather was gorgeous. I had limited myself to 3 pairs of shoes on this trip and hiking/tennis shoes were not on that list. So I walked/hiked in my sandals  I got comments from everyone we crossed paths with. And yes, I am brave. ;)




The rest of the evening we studied the new youth manual, "Come Follow Me" and set goals for the year. It was a quiet and restful Sunday.

Monday morning we had breakfast with Valley. Then Kurt and I separated. The first thing I did was go and get a $75 haircut. And luckily for the money spent it was a great haircut but sadly enough it would be even more expensive to go back. How ironic that I finally for my favorite hair stylist {in Palm Springs!} Then I wanted to go the Art Museum. The one in Palm Desert was closed for the week because they were changing the exhibit. So I drove to Palm Springs and sadly their museum is closed on Monday. Ahhhh. So I checked out a little of downtown and found this very cool sign and gigantic statue of Marilyn.



I found a botanical gardens that was on the way back to the resort so I did that. It was impressive to see all the different kind of cactus. Who knew there were that many? It reminded me of the dino days {although Austin later informed me that cactus were not around during the dinosaur time. Oh well.}


I was exhausted by this time and headed back so I could take a nap. That was nice and completely uncharacteristic. I decided to pamper myself and get a manicure at the resort's spa. It was relaxing and motivating to take better care of my hands. {Still can't go near the pedicure area though. Haven't made that much progress!}

By that time Kurt was done and we got ready for a nice Valley dinner at the resort. Luckily I sat next to a nice lady {who is also a stay at home wife}and it made it an enjoyable evening.

Tuesday morning was a lot more laid back for me. Kurt was done by noon so I decided to just relax in the room, read my book {another one} and I spoke with Joseph, Maren and Elaine. After lunch Kurt and I headed into Palm Springs to go on the Tram. It was pretty neat! We went up 8,516 feet and the views were amazing.





 Straight after we headed to the Redland temple. It is a beautiful small temple. I was amazed at how big angel Moroni was {Kurt said 13 feet tall.} I also love the desert landscaping with all the palm trees. Kurt was raving about the inside and we were also the witness couple.


We had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory before heading back to the resort. Wednesday morning we got up early to head to the airport. I was just praying that we would have better luck than when we left so we could actually get home to our kids. And we did, traveled without a hitch. I was able to read another book so I was a happy traveler {a total of 3 that trip!} We got back to Boise at 1 and headed straight to the school to pick up the kids. The boys were outside on the playground and before I could find either one of them Spencer came over and tackled me with a huge hug! awwww Austin's was a little more reserved since we were in public. Then i went and found Emma in ballet for a tender reunion. Bee line back to Vale to see our little girls! Ruth was adorable and kept hugging me "i have to give you so many hugs because i missed you so much!" Lucy was hilarious as always>


the kids loved the presents we brought back and it was so great to cuddle them all. 


Who gave this kid chocolate?

Thursday morning Emma woke up throwing up so she stayed home with us. It was kind of nice and we eased back into "real life." After preschool was over the girls enjoyed making art projects together.


Friday was my first piano keyboard class at the school. It is an elective for the prep school {middle school.} There are six kids in the class. I was really dreading it but it turned out great. They are a fun group and anxious to learn. Hopefully I can continue that excitement. It is once a week {Friday} for two hours.


Saturday the boys went to a basketball clinic in Vale and then Ruth had a birthday party that afternoon. Afterwards we all had dinner at the Catholic church for groundhog's day {hey, I didn't have to cook so its all good!} That afternoon Kurt and the boys cleaned out the walk in frig in the shop so I can move the food storage over {the project to conquer next week!}

It was a wonderful get away trip. I'm so grateful to Shaylona that everything went so well at home. It was a perfect chance to relax and recharge and reconnect with my husband. Memories to cherish.

2 comments:

'T' said...

Fun get away! I've hear Forever Plaid is so cute. What are the 'w' you have on your posts? I am trying to be smart, but got nothing.

The R Crew said...

Ya, Forever Plaid was cute and clean so I was happy about that. It took me a minute to figure out what "w" you were talking about. It stands for "Week." I'm taking a weekly approach to my blog this year because it is also serving as a letter for my parents, and brother serving missions. Plus I'm doing Project Life and it helps document that too. Have you heard about Project Life?? You would LOVE it!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...