Sunday, February 24, 2013

w8: P is for Party

February 17 - 22, 2013

My top ten most favorite moment from this week:

1. No SCHOOL on Monday and Tuesday {President's Day and teacher work day.} 

I really love when the schedule can disappear for a few days. We didn't really do anything too miraculous but spend time together. Makes me happy and I can glimpse the carefree days of summer. Monday we had some kids over to play, made a meal for a friend and Emma sold cookies.

2. Cookie Season! So it officially started on Friday and in reality I dread it. It is a lot of work over a few months. So the reason that this event is making it into the top ten is because I've been really impressed with Emma Lynn. There has been such a difference in her desire and ability to sale compared to last year. It is always exciting to celebrate growth! She has been making calls on her own and checking her list of previous buyers.These are great leaderships skills. And in the meantime we are all dreaming of cookies. I even overheard Ruth one morning as she was playing with her dolls and animals, asking them which kind of cookie they wanted to buy. Oh dear!

Currently she has sold 204 boxes. Thank you to all those who have {and continue to} support my cute Brownie from troop 493.



3. Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet took place on Tuesday. It is also our annual fundraiser  We have each boy make a cake and auction it off. The money raised covers our supplies, badges and day camp for the entire year. In my mind it is much easier than selling cookies! ;) 

I was really happy that the kids didn't have school on Tuesday because that gave Austin and I time to get everything together. I also had to make a pot of soup for the dinner. My assignment was the centerpieces. Each of the boys made a ship {the theme was pirates} out of milk cartons. It was special in a true cub scout way. Haha. Got a love it.

Austin made a dragon cake. We started with a bundt cake and cut it into thirds. We cut and frosted to piece it together. The body was completely green and accented with green candy. It turned out great and he was very pleased with it. Austin's cake was the highest of the night at $100! Dad and Grandpa were fighting over it. So I learned two things: Ruth really does have a talent in the kitchen and second, I need to spend more time with Austin in there.



I wavered back and forth on what kind of cake to make. I couldn't decide between a treasure chest or pirate ship. I baked my cake in two bread pans and when they were cooling Austin suggested I make both. Ok. Problem solved. It turned out good {at least my kids were impressed} and for the most part it was fun. 

The actual evening went really well. It was well attended and the cakes went for around $35-50 each and we auctioned 30 cakes. I didn't hear the final total but everyone seemed pleased. 





4. Preschool PAJAMA Party! If I were to do the number of exclamation points to convey Ruth's excitement it would be about 28. She has been looking forward to this ALL year long. I think it lived up to the hype. They had a great time. We played a few games {Pop the Pet, and Pancake Flip.} Did our art {popcorn painting prints}, ate pancakes, and everyone decorated their own pillow case to take home. I found some at the Dollar Tree so they were super cheap looking but the girls especially were SO excited. Ruth told me later that night after she had put it on her bed, "This is my most favorite, most beautiful pillow case ever." Yes, indeed. Her favorite part was eating pancakes. :)


5. A New Ballet Class for Ruth! Since April had her baby in January Ruth hasn't had any dance class. Through a friend I heard about a class that was only $15 a month in Fruitland. What a steal as far as dance classes go. Twice this week she showed me how big she is getting. She walked into the classroom took her spot and smiled at me. I took a few pics and then went to wait in the hall with the other moms. They are using a white parasol as one of their dance props. She loves it! "I just love to dance SO much!" I love watching :)



6. Supporting our Missionaries! I love hearing from my parents and Tim on their missions. I also love that my dear friend Shaylona leaves for her mission to Richmond, VA this week. We took her out to dinner this week to say good-bye and good luck. Another missionary to write!


7. Santa's candy workshop! We had a stake priest/laurel activity this Saturday. I put the centerpieces together and also the game. I enlisted the help of my kids to help. We emptied about 50 boxes of conversation hearts into mason jars. The kids thought it was great. "We are like candy elves in Santa's workshop!" Haha. I'm glad they liked it. I'm just grateful when we can all work together as a team.


8. Reading Together! The girls and I are reading "Meet Kit" an American Girl book out loud in preparation for our Meet Kit Kitteridge party at the library next Saturday. The kids also finished the winter reading program and were so excited to turn in their sheets to get their prizes. A lot of trinkets and junk but treasures in their eyes. I'm just grateful there is a true love of reading. Spencer has shown a great interest in reading the scriptures and so we have all been reading together from the Book of Mormon for our scripture study. I am praying this will help him make that next step in reading.

9. Naked Towel Chases! How scared does this make you? Don't worry this is the G version I'm talking about. This morning after Lucy and Ruth got out of the bath they were running after each other in their hooded towels. It was pretty cute. I like the moments when everyone gets along.


10. Young Women in the Nyssa, Oregon Stake. I attended a New Beginnings on Wednesday, the stake dance and activity Saturday and a ward conference on Sunday. I love the opportunity to rub shoulders with amazing young women in our Stake. I love the leaders who serve them endlessly. I am inspired by their testimonies and dedication to the Lord. There is a strength with the youth and it lifts me up.

2 comments:

Joseph Richards said...

great fun! Good job at selling the cookies Emma and Austin's cake looked cool. Fun Ruth likes dancing so much.

Karen and Roger said...

So much fun this week! I agree all three of your cakes looked fantastic! We're going to have to pass that fundraising idea to the scouts in our ward. :)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...