Sunday, March 10, 2013

w10: All about Spencer

March 3-9, 2013

On Friday {March 8th} we celebrated Spencer Gene. S.E.V.E.N. Man these kids are growing up. It seems like Spencer's birthday always sneaks up on me. I focus and plan for Ruth's and then all of sudden its Spencer's too. I have the new mentality that plan for Ruth's, plan for Spencer's too. It helped a little this year...

He wanted a Wild Kratts birthday {it is a show about animals on PBS.} That threw me for a long time, what do I do with that? Using the animal explorer theme I found a board game called, "Explorer Photo Safari" that gave me lots of inspiration and was able to move forward.

Thursday night Kurt and I went to the 7:30 session so we got home late. Kurt helped me decorate so I could actually get to bed {much appreciated and it was fun to see his additions to the birthday decorations.}

My favorite was the 7 he made out of crepe paper and the 4 doorways into the kitchen. A engineering mind can be creative.

He also used items from the pantry to make the number seven all over the kitchen table {potatoes, lasagnas noodles, and hot chocolate packets.}

 Good Morning Birthday Boy!

Again since I got home late the night before I spent the morning making the cake and getting the party ready. I dropped the girls off at Jessica's and then headed to Ontario. I was able to volunteer for a little bit in his class room before I snuck him away for lunch. He choose McDonalds. He was super silly {dancing all over the place and grinning like a silly goon.} We also went and picked out some new shoes {he has been wearing his snow boots to school for months. Its a slight fashion disaster.}


After school and ballet was over we picked up the girls and Kurt came home so we could get the last elements in place for our party. While he was finishing Spence and I went to go get Braxton. NOW we are ready for the party.

First we met Captain Jack. He introduced himself as Spencer's birthday guide {he was a cross between a Duck Dynasty pirate. Comical}


                              and gave him 3 presents to open to understand his birthday quest.

The were the board game {my inspiration} and his map for his animal exploration quest, a safari vest, and a GeoSafari Tuff Cam {digital video and picture camera.}

 Using his map Spencer was to go exploring around the world and see what animals he could find and capture them on his video camera.



Captain Jack might also have brought some BB guns to keep us "safe" from wild critters. Everyone had to have gun safety before getting aboard "Spencer's Super Safari Jeep."

Spencer had to explore the world across all the Continents to find seven different animals. It was such a FUN exploration! We found a frilled lizard {from Australia}, a panda {from Asia}, a tarantula {or a tran-U-chilla as Captain Jack would say from South America}, a lemur {from Madagascar}, a hippo {from Africa}, a puffin {from Europe} and an armadillo {from North America.}

Explorer Spence was very dedicated to documenting all his finds with his video cam. Captain Jack might have encouraged a little bit of target practice. While it seemed twisted to me everyone had fun with it. As we drove in the ranger exploring the kids were exclaiming, "This is the best birthday ever!"



 Videoing a lemur in the trees of Madagascar. 
  Spencer with all the animals.

HUGE Thank You to Captain Jack for making my ideas a reality and being such a FUN guide. We came inside to open a few more present and have cake and ice cream
{for which Bill & Cindy joined us.} 




The rest of the night was spent playing the explorer board game, doing Legos from Grandma Cindy and watching an epsicode of Wild Kratts {new DVD from mom & dad.} It was definitely a success. I feel grateful that the "best birthday ever" consists of poorly drawn animals on cardboard, a BB gun, silly dad and time together in the ranger. Does it get more simple or better? So grateful that these are the good things at SEVEN. Birthdays always make me super sentimental. I can't stop them from aging and if I'm truthful I probably wouldn't if I could because I would miss the journey of growing together. But there is that element of sadness as we say good-bye to another year, another stage and season. My boy is growing up. But he is a GOOD kid. I love him to the point of bursting. What a joy he has been to raise. I am privileged to be his mother. I know his seventh year will bring many more exploration moments, can't wait! Happy, Happy Birthday Super Spence!

Other Notable Moments of the Week:

* Ruth threw up at the end of Spencer's birthday night and was not well all day Saturday. So happy to report she is in full spirits today.



* Tuesday night Ruth, Emma and I took Kerri to "Swan Lake" which was performing in Ontario. The ballet is 2 1/2 hours long. But so elegant and impressive. Apparently we have the Barbie Movie of Swan Lake and as we were driving over I was explaining the story and Ruth had a better understanding of it than I did! Who knew that Barbie was so educational? Chelle had bought tickets for all the ballet students so that was very fun for Emma and she sat with her friends. While Ruth continues to be my buddy and sat on my lap constantly asking questions and talking. Hey, at least she didn't fall asleep. I love that the ballet has come to Ontario twice now. I hope it continues!




* Thursday Kurt had a customer appreciation day at the store. In which he fed about 200 people in the community. Lucy and I helped serve the food. She was all over the place loving the attention. She even agreed to leave with Doug Maag {I know he was not expecting her to agree, take his hand or walk away with him. When I tried to help the poor guy out she was started crying. Oh brother.}


The business partner's wives and their 20 month olds.


Lucy ate Cheetos the entire time. She was sooo dirty! Love grandpa's booster seat ;)

* Saturday Spencer had his gymnastic meet. This is the third year he has participated in the meet. I think it is great practice and he has been asking {a lot} to join the Boy's Gymnastics Team. Oh dear, can we commit to that level of practice? He did great in his events. Although when they presented the awards he had received one red so he was surprised/mad/sad about that. I told him that all it means is that he needs to keep practicing in that event. I'm proud of him and love to watch him.





* Saturday evening was also the famous Donkey Basketball. I stayed home with the 2 little girls to make sure Ruth was completely well. Team RPM won, they are bringing it back! Way to go! Apparently the donkeys were wild and crazy last night. People falling off all over the place and Emma said she laughed all night.


1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

Wow, so much happened this week it's hard to comment on it all! :) I loved Spencer's birthday pictures! The morning ones had me laughing because you probably had to coax him to get that shirt on for the pictures. Lol. The whole safari/animal hunt sounds so fun and would be such a perfect Montessori activity! Roger and I were both wondering who used their drawing skills for the animal pictures... You, Kurt, Emma? We didn't know but we liked them!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...