Sunday, March 24, 2013

w12: Cookie Mountain

March 17-23, 2013

True or False: Ruth hates to go shopping.

FALSE.

She could go shopping everyday especially if it involved clothes. We went on an impromptu shopping trip to the Children's Place on Tuesday when Brooke was with us. We found matching pink sparkly dresses. Ruth was in heaven. She was beyond excited to pick out matching clothes with her cousin! How can you help but smile as her bounces in anticipation of getting dressed in her new clothes. "I just love all the sparkles. Brooke we are going to match!"


- True or False: Austin does not know how to use a hammer and nails.

FALSE.

This week in Cub Scouts they made a very cool tool box. The leader made the go slow and take their time so it would turn out properly. ;) They turned out amazing! Austin was very proud, and rightly so. He found a hammer to put inside it. Along with his collection of rock crystals. Perfect.


- True or False: Girl Scout cookies arrived on Wednesday and our life has been turned upside down with Emma's cookie mountain.

TRUE.

Her total sale was 361 boxes. While I am so proud of her and her great accomplishment and motivation my head is pounding with the work of it all. Not that I don't like work...but there are a lot of people to deliver to! I was at the school all day Wednesday sorting and stacking so the girls could take their cookies home. There began our own cookie madness. Stacking, sorting, picture taking, ribbon tieing, sticky note making, boxing and driving, driving, driving! Kurt said she can sell 10 boxes next year and then he will buy the rest! ;)


- True or False: My thoughtful daughters Emma Lynn and Ruth made Easter baskets for their father because he will not be coming down to Overton/Grand Canyon with us.

TRUE.

First of all they CAN NOT stop talking about the Grand Canyon. So just about everyone we know and a few of their cattle and farm dogs too know we are going to the Grand Canyon. Can we say, Excited?!! Kurt isn't coming due to the time of year {gotta love spring.} I just love their thoughtfulness. Emma Lynn painted wooden eggs in her art class and used that plus a very sweet card to build her basket. Ruth's had a barbie, bits of paper and some drawings. Typical Ruth stuff. :) Luv These Girls.


- True or False: Ruth could care less that her preschool Easter party and Family Dying for Eggs Party was this week.
FALSE.

This girl loves all things party! Plus the holidays are super fun and important as kids. Even better. After last weekend with Margo I decided to make the preschooler's Easter bags for their Easter egg hunt. I bought 13 canvas bags, blue painter tape, and fabric paint and spent 2 nights channeling my inner Margo. Some turned out better than others but honestly it was enjoyable to do something "crafty."

Christy taught the party so I got all the eggs gathered and hid. I made it too confusing for them and it was kind of an epic fail until they realized there was lots of candy inside their eggs. Phew.

That night they were invited to come with their families to dye Easter eggs. Naturally this was a perfect time for us to dye eggs also. Besides dying eggs I had a few "organic" {as Kurt called them} methods of decorating. It is fun to try new things. Plus cupcakes to decorate in the traditional Easter fashion. Just a few kids came and honestly that was nice because you can visit and enjoy {plus help your own kids} those that are there more.

True or False: Lucy will spends countless hours pampering herself with all products found in the bathroom.
TRUE.

If it is quiet OR you do not know where Lucy is RUN to the master bathroom! You will find her massaging toothpaste into her arms and face, smearing gel into her eyebrows, and mascara onto her finger nails. She is obsessed with hair and all kind of unique forms of pampering. I hope we can afford the supplies she requires for this beauty regimen.

~~~~~~~~
So this next part is something I've wanted to start doing to help remember the every day cute, silly or ridiculous things the kids do. As individuals. I feel like there are weeks when some kids aren't even mentioned. Not fair. I want to remember the specifics about my individuals.
~~~~~~~~
Austin: Found out he earned 11th grade math test scores on his state testing. He also has been practicing responsibility with turning in his assignments and brought up his grade in this area.

After picking up Emma from ballet on Friday she excitedly told us that she got a dictionary at school. She showed it to Austin who smiled and said, "Oh wow! Yours looks cooler than mine!"

Emma: Continues to practice the piano before school without asking. She moved to the next level of piano books this week.

Spencer: Continues to work on his reading fluency. He has shown such an interest in reading from The Book of Mormon. I know that this will help his reading. Tonight I was touched as I heard him read a long verse with greater ease and almost no help. I know it will continue as we study each night.

He loves to write stories. He handed me a note in sacrament meeting, "I am a child of God and he has sent me here." Perfect spelling and perfect understanding.

Ruth: Ruth wore a dance leotard all week when we were at home. She would change them up with different leggings, tights and other accessories. After getting home from delivering cookies one day she asked me, "Can I up my leotard back on?" "Yes." "Oh good." I find her using the window to stretch out her legs.

Lucy: Has learned my "real" name. After a preschool field trip to the dentist we played at the park. I was talking with another mom and not responding to her fast enough so she calls out, "Rachel. Rachel." She has been using this "trick" all week.

At the park she also ran up to me "This is fun!" and ran back to the play ground to go down the slide. After sliding once she would run over to me again, "This is fun!" and on and on.



4 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

Loved the update on the kids! 11 grade math?!?! Wowza! That with the difficulty turning in assignments is the classic smart kid in a class.

I loved Austin and Emma's dictionary comments. :) You should be proud to be raising such intellectual children.

Keep me updated on Lucy's beauty secrets! I need to update my routine. ;)

'T' said...

I started with both my kids in the Book of Mormon to teach them 'words' and reading. I love this post!

Joseph Richards said...

big lols

Ben and Elaine said...

Elaine says,

Hilarious! I love these kids! :)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...