Monday, September 23, 2013

W38: All about Emma Lynn

September 15-21, 2013

Sunday 09.15
It was Stake Standards night on Sunday. As soon as I left the house the family celebrated by making peanut butter caramel popcorn. Ruth's response was cute, "Oh dad this is SO good! Who taught you how to make this? We need to call them right now and thank them." After learning that his mom had passed on this recipe to him she call grandma to tell her "Thank You!" Apparently everyone needs a healthy break once and awhile.

Ruth came home from primary a missionary just like her grandparents and uncle.



And of course Lucy wanted her picture taken too. For the record I DO do my daughter's hair before we leave the house. This is what she looks like after nursery and a car ride. What a monkey. She LOVES nursery and adores her nursery leaders. "I love Sister Barnes. She is SO pretty. Show Sister Barnes my pretty dress."

Monday 09.16
Our first official Girl Scouts after school. Ruth's excitement continues. Its pretty adorable to see her cheesy smile. Love that kid. Our Cadette meeting went really well. I'm excited, it'll be great year.

We went to the park to wait for clogging to start. It felt a bit crazy. Trying to get homework and reading done, some running away to play, others crying and I was wondering "WHY are we doing clogging?" Spencer DID NOT want to do it and Emma Lynn has more than plenty of after school activities. It was feeling like an obligation to the teacher at this point and my family's time is too valuable to worry about obligations. So we got in the car and drove home.

WOW. I just eliminated something from my life. I simplified. I'm still in shock. But we got home with time to get things done before dinner and FHE and Jane was happier. All validation that I had made a good choice. Jane is humbling me. I am realizing that I can't do everything I use to and that I will have to choose the BEST and say no to the rest. 

Later in the week we made arrangements with Marti for Ruth to continue clogging since Braxton and Brooke are in the same class. That made her happy to continue. So in the end it all works out.

Tuesday 09.17 
Before we left the house for Lucy's gymnastics class I had the thought that we should eat lunch with the school kids today. So I packed a lunch for us and we went to Lucy's class. She continues to LOVE it. So fun for her.

Her class gets done just as the kids are going to lunch so it works out perfectly. When I got there Ruth's teacher was surprised to see me. "I was going to call you but here you are!" Apparently Ruth had been having an emotional morning with lots of tears. By spending time with her at lunch we improved her spirits and she had a great rest of the school day. I definitely think the idea to have lunch with them was inspired. Grateful I can be there for my kids. Grateful I acted on the prompting. Grateful the Lord loves in children and provides a way for them to be happy.




Their lunch times are staggered but by eating slowly we were able to eat with all 4 of them. 
That evening was our first pack meeting of the school year. It was a BBQ and seemed very disorganized. Jane was also fussy for most of it so that could explain my view of the evening.
It looks like we need to put more effort into our Cub Scouts.

Wednesday 09.18
Austin came out of the bathroom this morning looking like this:



Personally I like it better that his previous slicked down the front of his forehead look. But he has spent a lot of time this week perfecting the spike and making sure it always looks fresh. This requires many trips to the bathroom. This is a kid that I had to practically prod {with a stick} into the bathroom to brush his teeth or use a bar of soap. I'm kinda in shock. This summer I bought him deodorant. He is not in the habit of using it every day but he is using it. I'm kinda like, "WHOAH." All summer long I watched this kid get bigger and bigger {he comes to my chin.} I have this foreboding feeling like we were on the verge of pre-teen-ness. And these recently grooming habits...only furthering the hypothesis. Whoah. 
He is a good kid. I have noticed that he wants to hug me. A lot more than he previously did. Big tight bear hugs. I feel like this is my window of opportunity to establish habits of physical affection that will continue into his teenage years when he'll need it the most. I am trying to make a conscience effort to verbally tell him how great he is and how much I love him.

Show and Teach continues to be Ruth's highlight of the school week. This week she brought in her apron with her name on it and cookies we had made for her class. She was pretty pumped. I cannot get enough of her cheesy, excited smile. So many exciting milestones in her life right now. Pretty fun for her.






The little girls and I continue to spend time at the library while the olders have their piano lessons. Minus Lucy only having ONE volume setting {that is not library approved} it is a fun time to connect with my kinder, get homework done and read lots of books.


Thursday 09.19
Big news of the day: there was a fire drill! That all we heard about all night long. Funny whats exciting to these kids. That night I went to a RS meeting. They asked me to teach about organizing  time and space. Kurt was kind enough not to laugh out loud when he heard what my assignment was about. It went well enough. More than anything I'm grateful for the time to think and prepare about such an important topic.

Friday 09.20
Emma agreed to skip school so we could have her birthday mommy date {I was kinda of surprised she agreed!} Lucy spent the day with Kea while Jane came with us.



Our first stop in Boise was the Girl Scout store. It was the first time we had been. We used her cookie dough money from last year. It was fun to pick out some birthday items {webkinz puppy, necklace and lip gloss.}


We started our PAINT theme mommy date by going to the BAM {Boise Art Musuem.} I love this kid. She wanted to look at every single item in the exhibt, read and discuss each piece. It was really fun. We definitely need to go with Grandma Richards when she comes home. We discovered we not love urban art.






They had quite a few items from Zaire! That was super fun to share and talk about. She really liked the jewelry. She would like to visit a museum that has more painting next. 

We ate lunch as we drove to our next stop: Stepping Stones Salon and Spa where we had our nails {finger and toes} PAINTED. 

  Like her mother she was funny about her feet being touched. It was comical to watch. 



She really LOVED this. And was in heaven. The staff knew it was her birthday and pampered her well {complete with polish and lip gloss to take home.} She is already planning the next mani/pedi and what colors she wants.

Our last stop was "Ceremacia" where you can PAINT your own pottery. There were so many choices it was hard to choose was to paint. She finally settled on an owl mug and I a napkin holder. She is a perfectionist and there was some moments of frustration that it wasn't going the way she wanted. Luckily we worked through it and it'll be fun to see how they turned out.




We enjoyed delicious milkshakes on the way home. This was a perfect day with my oldest girl. She is growing up into a beautiful little lady. It was so enjoyable to spend time together doing things we both like. It gave me a glimpse into the fun to be had with older daughters. 

Kurt was gone that night on a camp out with the scouts. He reported the next day that it was a great success. Only 3 went and they worked cows, went spotlighting, ate great dutch oven and a burnt breakfast by the scouts. Perfect.
Saturday 09.21
Emma had a birthday play-date with her good friend Katelynn Stewart. We had some activities planned but they were pretty content to just spend time together. They are such cute girls.


Emma is newly obsessed with pandas. So here are the panda cupcakes we created.


That afternoon I took Austin into the Vale Pool to complete his Aquaknot pin for Webelos. Only him and another boy showed up so the teacher let Spencer join in the fun too. I swear that kid will have completed ALL of the Cub Scout requirements BEFORE he even turns eight. Naturally he loved it. This is motivating me to get Austin's book out and start working on some other pins with him. We will see what we can get done. 





I am loving this picture that Ruth took of Spencer. It looks like he's walking on water. SO cool.

Sunday 09.22
Happy, Happy Birthday to my beautiful, talented, smart, kind and helpful Emma Lynn.




She woke up to find "9s" all over the house {thanks to her clever dad. I love the scale with 9 lbs of oil on it.}


 You definitely need a new dress on your birthday if its a Sunday birthday. 



At 3 o'clock we had the family over to celebrate ALL the September birthdays {Kelli, Marti, Tyler and Emma Lynn.} It was a Spanish themed dinner {Emma requested taco salad AGAIN, same as last year!} 



Her panda cake. 




 Opening presents


So happy with new art supplies!

origami pandas from Austin
water color by Ruth {this is her and Emma holding hands}

It was a perfect birthday weekend. So grateful for this little lady and for the blessing she is in our lives. WE LOVE YOU EMMA LYNN!!! Happy Ninth Birthday!




~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- Emma has educated Austin in her favorite photo design app. I found this screen saver on my phone this week:
- I overheard this from Lucy as she was playing, "dear Heavenly Father. Please help me get married. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
- We were discussing the story of Daniel one morning in devotional. Emma randomly interrupted, "Abendigo is a crayon color!!" She was very sure of this. About 4 minutes later she said,  "Wait. I think it might have been indigo."  
- We were talking about friends and what makes people popular. Ruth said, "my friends are all modest.". Ya it helps when your uniform is modest
- Spencer's BF has been teaching him and another boy all about football {American.} We are moving into the world of more serious sports. Kurt and I find it funny that his Mexican friend is teaching him about American football. 

Baby Jane is still thrush free! So grateful. But continues to have lots of moments of fussiness. She has to be held and need a body to sleep. She is definitely my most colicky baby. Grateful for lots of hands and whatever happy moments we can get.






3 comments:

Ben and Elaine said...

Elaine says:
What a fun birthday for a beautiful girl! Happy Birthday Emma! Loved the panda cake Rachel, you did a great job. The mani and pendi sounded fun, I am planning to do that for my 30th with Lorna. Great idea.
Love your cute family and the hilarious things the kids say. :)

Karen and Roger said...

It was fun to see all the birthday pictures. I died laughing at the picture of Emma getting a pedicure. Her expression looks just like you!! Haha!

Austin's hair does look good but he is so young. Ahhh! As is Lucy to be praying for a husband. Lol!

'T' said...

Happy B Day Emma!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...