Monday, September 30, 2013

W40: Did you know what happened this week?

September 29 - October 5, 2013

Did you know that Spencer had his first cavities filled on Monday morning?

I had procrastinated this since June. So I figured it was time. We dropped the others off at school and then went to the dentist office. Spencer was a supper star and did excellent.  Lucy charmed the entire office by talking to everyone, having perfect manners and cute antics. That kid is a crack up. I kept Spencer home the rest of the day so I could watch him till the swelling and numbness wore off.
Did you know that I'm enjoying being the Girl Scout Cadette leader? 

Since the Cadettes are the oldest GS in our troop we fous on being girl led. That means my role is to guide and direct. The girls are planning and teaching our badge requirements. With a new baby that has been quite fussy it is working out well for me. We have a great group and I anticipate a fun year.

Did you know that we made it back to Vale in time for Ruth's clogging class?

The happy girl spent the rest of the evening jumping around the house in her clogging shoes. Man, it makes you appreciate the ballet slipper.

Did you know that I switched Jane to soy formula?

While it hasn't cured her fussiness it has GREATLY helped! She spits up less, smiles more and puts herself to sleep (still  self soothing.) I'm grateful that we are finally figuring out solutions to help this baby girl.  Grateful for simple miracles. 

Did you know that Lucy is a monkey in a purple leotard? 

She loves her gymnastics. Her teachers were raving about her form. She could hold onto the rings and bar forever. She still dances around on her toes with her hands in the air, "I love ballet." Glad she has an active outlet.

Did you know that Kurt keeps his word even on bad days?

Last week I asked if he would speak and demonstrate to the Cub Scouts about the flag. Tuesday was a terrible day at work and yet Kurt still came. I appreciate him. Especially since Jane cried the entire time he was there. The cubs sure listen better to a man. Mmmmm, sounds like we'd better get more male helpers to come. Meanwhile ever since Austin completed the Aquaknot pin he has been  reading the Webelos book like its gonna go outta print.

Did you know that I love the temple?

After our late start Wednesday I dropped the little girls off at Kelli's house and then headed to the temple. I met Jen there and we did the 10:30 session together. Jen sent her oldest to the MTC last week. I wanted to do something for her and realized the peace of the temple was the best thing for a new missionary mom (or any other day-2-day event that we endure in this mortal life.) I LOVE the temple. It was a fabulous session. The spirit was so sweet and the peace so enduring. I didn't want to leave. We did a quick Costco run and lunch before I rushed back to Ontario for piano, ballet and gymnastics. Feel so thankful for Kelli's help.

Did you know it's been cold, rainy, and wet all week? 

It is definitely fall. Even the tumble weeds on our land are starting to turn. Haha I love fall but for some reason I'm not mentally prepared for this season. Maybe because one day it was 97 degrees and 52 the next. Wednesday there was a gleamer of sunlight and the kids enjoyed chasing geese while Spence was in gymnastics. I just enjoyed Jane. Soaking up all these SMILES!



Did you know that I appreciate 4RCS?

Thursday morning we had 4 parent teacher conferences from 9-10 am. We woke up at normal school day time to make sure we were packed and ready to go on our trip to Utah directly afterwards. The conferences went great. Austin is doing better about being responsible and is helping the other students with their questions. Emma Lynn is doing excellent and will start working on an extra presentation project (topic of her choice) as she has extra time in her Spanish class. Spencer is on task, engaged and participates well in class. (PS Spencer told me before his conference, "I'm glad we don't have a wii cause it rots your brain and then you get in trouble at school." Perfect!) Ruth is an excited learner. SeƱora Brito feels confident she will transfer her knowledge into the Spanish language.



Did you know that we can still travel to Utah with one stop now that we have 6 kids?

They traveled well. I was determined to continue our healthy eating on the road. So I had a plethora of fruits and veggies packed. It is always a great feeling to be prepared and continue on the path of righteousness 

Did you know we love the Farnsworths?

As soon as we crossed into Utah it started snowing. I couldn't believe it. It was also snowing in Logan so it canceled the plans to go to the pumpkin patch that evening. I think I was the only one disappointed, the cousins were very happy to be reunited. Baby Jane was a hit with the Farnsworth cousins. We had a delicious dinner and nice evening of visiting/playing. 

Friday morning Kurt got up and went to the temple. I stayed to maintain the morning chaos. When he got back we loaded up and headed south for Temple Square. Thanks for having us!



Did you know I met my favorite "celebrity?"

Project life has changed the way I scrapbook and memory keep. I'm obsessed and adore it. When I hears that  the founder, Becky Higgins was going to be at Deseret Book this weekend I KNEW I had to make time to go! When we got to temple square Ruth, Jane and I went to meet her while Kurt took the rest to temple square. The timing was perfect. I was fourth in line. Becky took the time to talk and get to know each person. I was impressed with her sincerity and kindness. I also appreciated the opportunity to thank her for providing a system that allows me to scrapbook again. No gonna lie, a very cool moment.

We met up with the others just in time to go into the north visitor center. Of course I was grinning and after Kurt teased me Emma said, "mom, your hilarious."


Did you know that I love the temple square visitor center?   

No matter how many times I go it is still a wonderful and uplifting experience. I love sharing that with my kids. Ruth was so excited to see the statue of Christ. She didn't care about anything else. The boys liked the escalators. I'm raising a bunch of hicks. Lucy thought all the open space was for perfect for running. As I was chasing after her when she stopped at a statue of Adam and Eve. "They love me mom." We also went to the church history museum. Kurt was excited to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit on scouting. I was just glad he wanted to go to a museum. I fed Jane most of the time but it was very interactive and the kids loved it. Some of the same Book of Mormon exhibits were still here and the kids were excited to remember them from when Grandma and Grandpa Richards took them. 










Did you know that Grandma Karen and Kay are fabulous hosts? 

Our next stop was back north to Clearfield. It had been over a year since we had seen them so it was great to spend time and reconnect. They are always kind, gracious and so welcoming. It is a great feeling to know you are always welcome. All weekend they kept us full with delicious food and joyful company. 

The boys loved the plastic eggs from the kitchen. Ruth and Lucy were overjoyed that grandma had added dolls to her toy collection. Friday afternoon Kurt took the 4 oldest to a trampoline house close to Grandma's house {I had bought a groupon.} Since Ruth and Spencer couldn't go into conference I wanted something fun for them. A trampoline place {called "Get Air"} had Spencer's name written all over it. I heard most about everyone ganging up on Kurt to play dodgeball. That night the kids watched "Honey I shrunk the kids." It was a blast from the blast for Kurt and I. I used the time to created a fall wreath for Grandma and I. I had the urge to create and it was a fun way to give a Thank You gift for grandmas hospitality.


Did you know that General Conference brings peace & happiness to my soul?

We had 4 tickets for the Saturday morning season. Grandma was kind enough to watch the other 4 kids for us. I was nervous about leaving Jane because she can be fussy. Grandma has plenty of experience. We left the house just a little after 8 so that we could be in our seats by 9:30. Parking and finding our spots all went very smooth. The Mo Tab was warming up so that was fun to watch/listen as we prepared for it to start.  Emma Lynn was very concerned with the lack of reverence but gratefully it changed as soon as President Monson walked in. I  loved teaching why we stand for our prophet and then standing together. I loved singing the intermediate hymn with the power of so many saints together, especially my kids. I love building and strengthening testimonies. I love hearing the word of The Lord. One of those memories when my heart smiles remembering. 



As we left the conference center there was one very loud heckler on the corner. Austin turns to me, "doesn't he know that no one here is going to listen to him?!" I love his conviction. Both Austin and Emma Lynn were excitedly making plans to come to conference in April so Spencer could come too! 

We listened to the afternoon session as a family in the basement (so grandma and Kay could actually get something out of it!) We drew pictures of what we heard: missionaries and families which were the two very strong themes throughout the entire conference.

After that session the girls and I went shopping while the boys watched a movie. Kurt, Kay and Sam went to the priesthood session. We were so excited that Sam came up. Spencer especially, he would not stop jumping on him! It must be love. 


Sunday morning Elaine dropped her boys off so they could attend a session. It was kind of like a tornado hit. We did hear a few good words, stop moving long enough to have a conference sucker and express our creativity through portraits (friendly tip: never laugh at someone's art work.)








After another delicious lunch we loaded up the car, gave lots of hugs and headed home. We listened to the second session as we drove and because the kids were strapped in and contained I was able to actually hear the talks. We might try the "just drive" method again. We made it home by 7:45 happy and fulfilled.



No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...