Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bienvenido a Miami

Week 1: January 5-11, 2014

Sunday 01.05
Travel into Florida was crazy. Because of all the delays we finally got to Fort Lauderdale around 1:30 am. Eventually found a taxi to take us to Miami and arrived at our hotel at 3 am. We showered and passed out. At some point Cortney and Brittney arrived {without their luggage!} and also passed out. Kurt went his advisory board meeting at 6 am. {Unfortunately our late arrival meant that we missed the Saturday evening cruise with the advisory board. That was Kurt's one regret of the trip but it was completely out of our control.} When he was finished at noon we were all still sleeping. We dressed and got ready for church. Luckily it was close and we walked to the Miami Shores 2nd Branch. They were newly organized last week. So it was really fun to visit with them and feel the excitement and service of a new branch. It reminded me a lot of living in a branch growing up. Great memories and also the desire for that experience for my kids.

Valley was having a meet and greet at 5:30 pm. It was perfect so we didn't have to eat out on Sunday. It was great having the Forsbergs with us especially for the Valley things.

 Waiting for the guys to come back so we can go to the meet and greet.
 They had these cute hats for everyone. Kurt is goofy {imagine that.} I knew what trendy boy that would be excited to get these! 


View from our room. 

Monday 01.06
Jane and I opted out of the 6:30 breakfast. At 10:30 meet up with Brittney and walked down Collins road to shop for clothes since their luggage still hadn't shown up. The guys met up with us at Ross when they finished class at noon. We had lunch at subway plus Gelato. As we were walking back along the beach front it started to pour. Jane had fallen asleep by then and didn't even wake up. We were drenched.



I had a hair appointment at 5 at the hotel spa and then we met up for dinner with the Forsbergs and Shane & Brenda {from Washtington.} They are great people and it was a really fun night.

New Hair Cut {feeling fresh and so much less shaggy dogish.}


 Italian dinner on Espanola Way. Lots of little restaurants, no cars, great atmosphere, delicious food and fun company. Jane was over stimulated and exhausted so about the time I finished my food {and after walking the block twice trying to get her to sleep} we went back to the hotel. Where she promptly woke up and was extremely happy.

Tuesday 01.07
 Rain, rain go away. I was itching to get on the beach. But besides the rain it was super windy. If I didn't have Jane no problem but I was blessed to have her with me. So I tried to supress the urge to get the sand in my feet and listen to the lull of the waves on the shore.

Here are a few pictures of the hotel we stayed in, The JAMES Royal Palm. It was artisy trendy sort of place. Kurt did not get the decorating. Haha




The pillows that decorated the bed. Kurt thought they were so dumb. He kept looking for the space bar.


That morning I got a pedicure at the "Renew" Spa in my hotel. Brittney watched Jane in my room for me. I sat in a massage chair and she put a warm rice pack on my shoulders. I probably could have stayed a while. After I was finished Brittney got her first shellac manicure. Thank you Farnsworth sisters for hooking me and now it is my duty to pass on the love. I'm pretty sure we earned it for being supportive wives {especially during the spring!}

Jane and I may have been matching with some polka dot action. So cute!

After lunch {that was hosted by Valley} Brittney and I met up with Brenda and another lady from her dealership to try to go on a "duck tour." It was basically a tour of the sites of Miami from the water. Due to the rain they had postponed the tour until a later time that wouldn't work. So we went shopping again. We scouted a few good restaurants for dinner so we brought the guys back that evening when they were finished. We decided on Aubela's Cuban Kitchen. It was really good. Passion fruit juice. I had an Elena Ruth sandwich. Ham, cream cream and jam. It was super delicious.

We stopped at a Peter Lik {photographer} gallery on the way home. It was breathtaking.

Wednesday 01.08

GOOD MORNING! 

I used the hotel gym Tuesday and Wednesday so I could run. Jane sat in her stroller and just watched. What a good baby. Gracias!

I was determined to get on the beach. It was rainy still off and on all day but I couldn't take it any longer!

 I found a spot in between the two hotel huts {where they store the beach chairs, towels, etc} and Jane and I got comfy. The wind wasn't to bad with the two buildings acting as a barrier. Look at these super cute feet in the sand.



 Jane LOVED the sand! She kept kicking her feet around and trying to get deeper in. It was very cute and made me happy. We lasted about 20 minutes and then called it quits. The guys were completely done with classes at this point and so we went for some real pizza. It was so delicious. Afterwards we just waked randomly up and down streets in the rain. I couldn't put Jane in the stroller so I carried her with a poncho strategically wrapped around me plus an umbrella in an effort to keep her dry. It was a beautimus.

That evening was the final Valley party. Because Kurt is on the advisory board we had to sit at the head table with the CEO {I am not his biggest fan.} Perfect. Everyone loved Jane. Lenny {CEO} rushed over when he saw her and picked her up and started sweet talking to her {that might have won him a few points.} Later during dinner the topic of how many children we have came up and the reactions were comical. Mouths hanging open, complete disbelief, asking many more questions to try to gain an understanding, and swearing {that was Lenny. All previous points he earns were immediately gone.} Jane was a perfect angel so at least they can't pass judgement on that.

We brought the stroller and put it in between Kurt and I. As soon as the meal was served we put her in it and there she hid during dinner. Quiet as a mouse trying to grab my napkin and obsessing with her hands.
Lenny {my favorite} asked us all to set an example and dance the first dance. Amazingly enough Jane was not frightened by the music and the 3 of us danced together. ;) As soon as it was over we left to find the desserts {priorities!}

Thursday 01.09
It was not raining that morning so after breakfast with the Forsbergs we went to the beach. I packed sandles for Kurt but obviously in haste. HAHA He had a true make it work moment and didn't even complain. ;)


 It makes me happy how much this kid loved the beach. 





Thank you wind for my mushroom hair.

When Kurt and Jane had had enough they went back to the hotel to get clean up. I stayed on the beach to get my run in. I sand was soft and I saw others doing it so I decided to run barefoot. Almost immediately after I started it started to down pour. Hard. Rain got in my eye and dislodged a contact, and smeared mascara but I kept on. That running in the sand was a lot of work, my calves were on fire. But the view was gorgeous.



After my shower we checked out and got a taxi to the airport. The flights home were less exciting {no cancellations or delays.} And Jane actually slept through most of both flights. I think its because she barely slept at all the entire time we were in Miami. She was so excited about all the new sights and sounds, she was determined not to miss a thing.

 Sleeping in her stroller  before we take off. So glad we brought it, definitely got its mileage.

In summary it was a nice, relaxing trip. It seemed like we were constantly eating and the food was delicious. I really enjoyed having one-on-one time with Jane. That never happens as the baby of six and it was really fun to focus on just her. I really enjoyed having Brittney there. It was the first time to have someone there for the Valley events and it was so super nice. I think it was good for our friendship. Grateful for time with Kurt, that is always cherished. I didn't site see as much as I normally do but I don't feel it ruined or took away from the trip. I was surprised how much everyone LOVED Jane. It was like they had never seen a baby before. And I'm not over generalizing or exaggerating. Everyone, everywhere I went commented on how beautiful she is. Naturally I loved it. I felt like a young mom of one again. And all week long the reaction to being a mother of six was stunned disbelief. I made the decision to be a mother and feel blessed in my life. Their reactions didn't bother me. My favorite was a genuine, "God bless you." Thank you, its always needed. :)

We arrived home at 2:30 am. So grateful to find all well in Vale when we returned. Completely indebted to Cindy for keeping everything running so smoothly while we were gone. She had to pick up Ruth TWICE from school for being sick {fever one day and puking another.} Thank you THANK YOU!!

Friday was a sweet reunion with those 5 cute faces I missed. I convinced the boys to stay home and play with me while the girls just HAD to go to school. 

 Playing passport to paradise 
 Everyone was happy to see Jane! 

That night when Kurt got home we gave them their gifts from the trip. They were very excited and grateful. {S: two hats from the Valley dinner, R: cat in a purse (she's always wanted one and that's exactly what she said when she saw it), E: south beach Miami hat,
A: nice backpack that was our gift from Valley, L: Hello Kitty with a wand.}

Saturday morning I cut Lucy's hair. She is THE biggest monkey. She will not keep hair ties in. She is constantly pulling them out and looking like a homeless orphan. Kurt told me before Christmas to cut her hair to help it look less disastrous. When I got home I could see clearly {now} that it was time. 
Before {pouting}
 Before {hair combed out}
Good bye hair
 After. Love this curly bob!
It has been so easy to fix. Just a little mouse to help hold the curls and its done. No battling the hair ties and no orphans. Kurt is very happy. Lucy told me Sunday, "Dad just loves my new hair."

I took Lucy and Jane into the DR that morning {fevers and coughs.} They both have ear infections and have started antibiotics. Jane has been weezy and rattly but they said it was virus induced and should clear up...meanwhile Jane has been sleeping endlessly. I guess she's trying to catch up from the trip!

I ran to Nampa in preparation for ward conference in Parma while Kurt moved his mother's piano into our house. I think it looks pretty cool and we love having dueling pianos. If you thought our house was loud before you haven't seen anything yet! {{SAM: the peddle on Cindy's piano actually works! You should come back and play with us!}}


That evening we went to Nyssa for Lucy and Alfredo's baptism. It was all in Spanish and such a beautiful spirit. Kurt was able to baptize them and my older kids understood. So very Cool. Love all opportunities to share the gospel.



On Thursday while we were at the beach and flying home Jane was officially 6 months old.



This girl loves her hands more than anything. She loves to look at them and explore like they are the coolest thing ever invented. She LOVES to chew on them. She tries to get as many as possible or her own hand into her mouth. 
She sleeps with us still but whereas her room is now vacant will be moving to her crib soon. She wakes generally once during the night to eat. She will not hold her bottle on her own. She wants to hold your hand instead! She is on a 2-3 nap schedule during the day. She loves to sit in the bumbo and bouncy seat. She is a mover and always kicking her legs. She loves to arch her back when she is sitting in the bumbo to see the ceiling or act like she is going to throw herself out. She rolls over and over and has fallen off the bed. :( Time to beware, she is moving. She has a deep voice and is loud. She watches us eat with great fascination but hasn't been too impressed with the food she has tried so far {rice cereal, green beans, potatoes and tomato soup.} She smiles easy and loves to laugh when you tickle.  Her nickname is Janey-bug as given by Ruth. She is sweet, happy and completely adored. 


~~~Romans' Reflections~~
Not much since the kids were not with us this week but...
I found Spencer like this when I came to tuck him into bed on Saturday night:
{these are the hats from the trip that we gave to him} obviously too cool for bed.


Emma LOVES this pink hat {it was a white elephant gift from a Grandma Karen Christmas party quite a few years old that has been in the dress up box ever since.}

The name badges from our Valley conference had a pouch in it and was like a little purse. We gave them to Ruth and Spence as part of their welcome home gifts. Spencer made "mail" for everyone and delivered them in his new mail bag. I like the two letters he wrote for Emma Lynn and Lucy.

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...