Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Emma's New Adventure

Emma has been taking ballet ever since she was old enough which in Vale is age 3. One of the most motivating factors for starting The Studio was to provide opportunities for my own kids. So the second they were old enough let's get dancing! I love little girls in tutus prancing around. Can you think of anything more heart warming? And I'm pretty committed to the clogging world too. Dancing is so much fun!

My kids are suppose to think so too right?

Last fall Emma started having issues with ballet. I can't tell you exactly what it was or what day it happened but ballet was causing her a lot of anxiety. Wednesday morning she would wake up crying because she knew she had ballet, she would have stomach aches all day from the anxiety. We tried everything I could think of to make it a positive, stress-free situation for her. When it came time for the dress rehearsal (during class time) for the Christmas recital they had to get on the stage and she froze and the water works started. In order to avoid a major-life-scarring-event-for-the-rest-of-her-life we didn't even GO to the recital due to the level of anxiety it was causing her.

The Christmas break free of ballet was good for her (and me too.) The day class was to start up last week so did the anxiety. It wasn't worth the effort!!! Ballet is suppose to be fun, not traumatic! So I decided that day that at this point in time Emma and ballet didn't need to co-exist. Mom needed to give up her idea of Emma taking ballet. I minute I told her she wasn't going to do ballet anymore you could SEE the relief flood her face.

Today we started something new for Emma Lynn. I really would like her to have a teacher beside me (preschool) b/c she tends to be quite attached (to me) and struggles to transition smoothly. So Emma is taking art lessons. Today was her first class. I asked one of the Young Women (who is taking private lessons herself) if she would be interested in teaching Emma (1/2 hour once a week.) So today we gave it a try. Emma has been beaming in anticipation all day. During the lesson she ran out both times as soon as her masterpiece was finished smiling ear to ear to show me her work. I cannot even adequately describe the night and day difference (between ballet and art for Emma.) I'm glad we found something that is working, for now at least!


Emma Lynn's first water color sunset

4 comments:

'T' said...

Hi Rachel, It's a battle to know where to push and where to shove and where to let go. I totally understand! I think you are wise and amazing with the art thing. Andrea was too shy to take a public dance class so I utilized a YW from our ward to give her private ballet, she loved it. She'll find her wings and fly! AHHHH just today I was telling Darrec you should move back in our ward (tee hee), misses, T

Tiffany said...

Lilli had the same anxiety with Ballet...now she's in Violin and LOVES it!!

The R Crew said...

It's such a relief to find something that they enjoy. While I realize she is 4 and it could change, maybe even tomorrow, she is having a positive experience and learning to try new things and develop talents. Glad to know Emma wasn't the only one with ballet issues! It's really dancing issue cause she doesn't even want to try clogging. I'm putting all my hope in Ruth!

TulsaT said...

Tell her it is beautiful.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...