Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mommy Date

One of my goals this year is to be consistent with my mommy dates with the kids. I loving having individual one-on-one time with them. Great memories and a renewal of my affection & admiration. Each kid will have a mommy or daddy date each month. We will alternate months for example Austin and Emma are both having mommy dates this month. So in February they will have daddy dates and Spencer will have a mommy date. In theory it sounds perfect, hopefully the fulfillment will be also.

So on Saturday (the 10th) Austin and I had our Mommy Date. And let me tell you, it was a very fun and expensive way to start out the mommy date year! It will be a hard act to follow. Obviously we had a fab-U-lous time!

We went to the show "Walking with Dinosaurs." Ever since I heard it was coming to Boise I knew it would be perfect for Austin. He loves the dinosaur thing and is constantly pouring over his favorite dinosaur books. I love to give my children opportunities like this. Not to mention I'm a SUCKER for shows. A great Broadway musical is a piece of heaven. But the tickets were outrageously priced so I tried to win them a variety of ways (through different radio shows.) I was not successful. Finally the week of the opening Austin and I got on the internet to really check it out, to see if it was worth all the money. We were both impressed and I immediately booked out tickets.



The plan was to leave Saturday when Kurt got home from work (noon.) Austin was standing by the door with his coat and shoes on (usually he is the HARDEST to prod to get ready on time!) wondering where Kurt was. "Can we call him and ask when he's coming.?" He was anxious. Luckily for both of us Kurt came home shortly thereafter and we were on our way.

The moment we found our seats the lights dimmed and the show began, what perfect timing! We were captivated. It was a great show, especially for the true dinosaur lover. If it comes near you make the effort to see it. Here is why I'm recommending BBC's "Walking With Dinosaurs."

1. I was impressed with how educational it was. It gave a great over view of the span of the dinosaurs, the different eras, the changes happening in the world & how it affected the dinosaur. I loved walking away from the show with the pleasure of good entertainment AND enriching my mind. Austin and I both learned a lot.
2. I loved the staging creativity to portray so many different changes that happened to the earth (earth quakes, droughts, ocean, lightening, volcanoes, etc...)
3. The dinosaurs were so well done! They were HUGE, and so life-like, loud and so HUGE.



We did quite a bit of shopping afterwards (Austin was a major trooper but I did butter him up pretty good with an amazing show before hand!) At his request we stopped at Red Robin for dinner. He was great company and a super date (he even let me hold his hand and cuddle him after dinner!) I'm blessed with a great son. I'm excited to see what we'll do together in March! Love you Austy!

4 comments:

'T' said...

I think parent/kiddo dates are SO important... What a great New Year's goal. I'll bet he loved it! -miss ya-

TulsaT said...

That show was here in Vegas last year, and we missed it. I hope it comes back.

janalee said...

I've been thinking about taking my kids to see this show- I think your experience seals the deal for me :)

Elliot and Traci said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...