Thursday, January 22, 2009

SSSHHhhhhh, it's a secret!

Preface:
I've always, always, always wanted to play the violin. ALWAYS. Maybe with the combination of living overseas and not being assertive enough I didn't have that opportunity to learn in my youth.

I was sickly green with envy when my younger sister started learning how to play. She is wonderful and so dang lovable that I couldn't be jealous for long. How great for her that she had that opportunity!

May 25, 2007:
The dream to play hasn't ever gone away and in fact it gets stronger as I get older. So for my 27th birthday I decided to (finally!) bite the bullet. I bought myself a violin and a book and started bowing. I did okay to practice once or twice a week that summer but then a variety of conflicts hit me. Being called as the Young Women's president in our ward, fall semester of The Studio started, and a small detail of being pregnant with my fourth baby!!! The violin went to the back of the closet.

Present Day:
My life as slowed down and I have about 6 free hours a day that I needed to fill with SOMETHING! LOL!!! If you aren't laughing out loud, DO IT NOW! Okay so that really isn't the reason why I got the violin out again. It boils down to a few very basic and important-to-me reasons:

~ IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY DREAM!
~ New Years Resolution (I'm serious this year!)
~ I want my kids to see me start something that I'm not good at, work hard at it and eventually master it. I want them to SEE that I'm willing to try something new, to go after your dreams and to SUCCEED!
~ I'd like to overcome this never-ending feeling of being average. I want to be AWESOME at something (okay lots of things but for now I'm working on the violin.)

So if it's a secret as the title suggests, me trying to teach myself how to play the violin, than I'm sure you're asking yourself, "Why is she blogging about it?"

Answer:
My sweet and generous kindergartener was learning about violins in school. He rose his hand so proudly and said, "My mom can play the violin." Blessed his heart because what I'm a currently doing does not constitute as playing in the musical world! Mrs. Wagner called me up and wondered if I'd like to come and display my talent. I explained that my son is very loving and kind and while I do have a violin I'm not sure that my screeching across the strings would be music to their ears. She loved the idea of showing the kids that grow-ups have to try and work at things too (isn't that the truth!) So very humbly I showed up to Austin's class on my regular volunteer day with my violin. I explained the depth of my knowledge on how to play - it was very appropriate for their age :) and then humbly played "Mary Had a Little Lamb." My hands were shaking as I bowed the strings, it was a little rough and D was quite out of tune. At least I did model an adult not being successful and needing to try hard! Did I mention it was a humbling experience?

So in all seriousness I need to thank my pretty amazing son. One for loving me completely and without hesitation or reserve. He has heard my practicing and he still told his class I could play. And most of all he was proud that I came and he thought I did a great job. Second for the motivation he gives me to practice and to master this instrument but more importantly to accomplish a dream. For Austin, and Emma Lynn, and Spencer and Ruth I need to do this. I need to do it for myself. I'm not average, I can become great.

So like all goals it works better if you are held accountable. It started with all of Mrs. Wagner's kindergartners knowing plus all my Young Women...so I might as well be really committed and tell you. The secret is out, I'm learning to play the violin! I promised Mrs. Wagner's kindergarten class that I would come back at the end of the year and play another song for them. And it's gonna be BETTER!

So you'll excuse me now, I have to go practice!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

How exciting!! Cresta and I have picked up a few things ourselves since Sable & Lilli are taking lessons. We can't help them practice is we don't know a little bit ourselves. When I was in Rexburg I bought Lilli a book of LDS Primary songs, well, it was in her stack of books and yesterday when I took her to her lessons she grabbed it too. When Mrs. Trenkel was going through her books she saw it and she started teaching her out of it!!! WOOHOO. So, Lilli's new song is "I Am a Child of God". Lilli's next adventure....learn to play well enough to accept a Musical number in Sacrament!! "America's Got Talent"...here she comes!!!

'T' said...

This is the coolest thing! I want to congratulate you. It is so good for us to do thing that are new and hard, but the question is how many of us really set out and do them? So good for you! I'm really proud of you; and Austin's buttons must have popped off when you played for his class. Being an adult learning a skill makes you appreciate it that much more too... You will be remembered by your kids.... Darrec's grandma set the goal of playing "The Entertainer" on the piano... Darrec and his uncles remember her listening measure by measure on a record and then playing it measure by measure over and over again until she got it. He'll never forget that, it was an example to him. Love ya.

Cheryl said...

You will be amazing, you're Rachel.

TulsaT said...

You never cease to amaze me. First of all, I think it is great that you think you are average. I don't even give myself that much credit.

I think kids do need to see that even adults have things that are hard for them and they have to learn and work towards things.

What a great example you are, to me and to your kids.

Waite said...

Alyx says She does everything!!! It is true just so talented!!!!

Love to you!

Smelsha said...

You have inspired me! Learning to play the violin when I'm past my prime (in my 30's) has always been a dream of mine too. Maybe someday I will join you to do as you've said, inspire my children and live one of my dreams. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement! Keep at it! I can't wait to hear the follow up story.

Jill Bowcutt said...

Check you out! That is so awesome. I love that you are dedicated enough to find time for this. What an inspiration you are to me! Oh, and I'm super jealous of your Bosch...

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...