Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Spencer's Baptism

April 7 - 13, 2014

This was a beautiful week. One of the those moments you look forward to, prepare for and cherish ever after. Spencer was baptized. Love that boy, so proud of him and the choices he makes for good consistently. He has a good moral compass, what a blessing that will be to him.

Monday soccer after Scouts make life crazy. But by the end of the week both boys were on the same schedule - Yes that is a HUGE tender mercy for me. Duly noticed and gratitude expressed. Also grateful for beautiful {although unpredictable} spring weather - we want to be outside anyway!

On Tuesday we took the Cub Scouts for a walk down to the library. We picked up garbage along the way. It was a good way to do some service quickly and easily and avoid the cub scout drama at the church building. How many other activities can we come up away from the building?? Spencer was a great scout, helpful and hard working. The funny thing is - ALL the scouts were so much more quiet and respectful in the library. They didn't want to leave! Sheryl was thinking it would be a good activity every week. ;)





Wednesday was the Stake Recognition dinner. As always I added some table decor {cause I'm the only one who thinks its necessary apparently.} I have an easy fall back that I use every year for this event: plastic table clothes in a bright color, bamboo placemat with colorful spring flowers {from Grocery Outlet.}

I didn't get a pic of the tables but I sure loved the way my trunk looked after I bought them. I adore tulips. We always give the flowers away to the all the YW presidents after the evening is over. It probably also good to note that the evening went well. Jen and I took care of the music because that was neglected and any previous drama was fruitless and forgotten.

Thursdays afternoon the FARNSWORTH {minus Ben} arrived for Spencer's baptism weekend!! Elaine actually beat me to the school and was waiting at the side under the tree and the kids were just waiting in the class lines, everyone waiting for me to get there. It was awkwardly comical. We went to the park while Spence was in karate. Perfect weather and happy cousins = perfection!








Ethan and Ruth became fast friends and always wanted to ride together. Of course Lorna was more than happy to come with us so it all worked out. We took all the crazys to Pizza Hut for dinner before heading to Vale.


I can't say that we did anything too exciting or earth shattering. We kept on with the same daily routine of school and activities on Friday. In hindsight maybe we should have skipped?? That evening we watched a movie with as many kids as possible in the boys tents.

Saturday morning soccer games found weather not so cold and windy {yet another tender mercy.} Spencer's team continued undefeated which he found to be a good omen because it was he baptism day. Austin's team still had yet to achieve a win...maybe next week.

Back at home we started baptism preparations. I know from previous experiences that I wanted enough time so we weren't not extremely rushed caused unneeded stress. I wanted to be able to enjoy the spirit and create beautiful memories of the day.








I had this table with program on it set up in front of the RS room.

With Spencer 3 other kids were baptized, his cousin Braxton Bair, and then cousins Kacie Jacobs and Spur Jacobs. Both families are very large in Vale. I knew it was going to be a big baptism. When I saw they had scheduled us to be in the RS room I knew there was NO WAY everyone would fit. I asked if we could be moved - no can do - and so about 30 people tried to listen in the foyer. I reminded myself {over and over} that the important ordinance was performed, Spencer was beaming and that is all that truly matter. 

The program went as follows:

Conducted by Kurt {President Jacobs presiding}
Pianist: Becky Ruhl
Chorister: Linda Jacobs {Kacie's grandma} 


Opening Song: I love to see the Temple
Opening Prayer: Susan Johnson {Spur's grandma}
Spotlight {by parent} on kids getting baptized
Talk on Baptism: Johnny Jacobs {Kacie's grandpa}
Musical Number by Braxton, Kacie, Spencer and Spur: When I Am Baptized
Talk on the Holy Ghost: Cindy Romans
~~~Baptisms~~~
{they allowed the baptized kids to stand in the stair well of the font so they could see their cousins get baptized.}
Welcome to the ward by Bishop Froerer
Closing Song: I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Closing Prayer: Brian Bair {Braxton's uncle}



It was a beautiful day. Spencer was ready and excited. One of my most favorite memories is that he was able to share this experience with his best friend and cousin Braxton. They love each other and it was touching to watch them share this important and sacred moment together. I loved watching them support and love each other. Their grins are priceless. I love these boys and I'm so proud of them. They are glowing.

"While Kacie and Spur were getting baptized I asked Grandpa Romans and Grandpa Bill to be the witness when I got baptized. I was baptized before Braxton. Going under the water felt good. When Braxton was getting baptized I felt the Holy Ghost. When everyone gave me gifts I said Thank You. I'm glad they could come. I know to bear my testimony. I know the Church is true. I know when you are baptized you are clean. I know a covenant is a two way promise between me and God. I know if I keep my covenant I can have the Holy Ghost. I know my family loves me. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus love me too."
  
---Romans Reflections---
- who won the scribble?
- Spencer's baptism invitation

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...