Sunday, July 26, 2015

Theater Camp

July 12-18, 2015

I was released from my stake YW calling on Sunday. Kurt felt inspired to give me a blessing that morning. I wouldn't have thought to ask. The blessing was beautiful. The calling has been interesting and challenging. I will miss working with the youth and the wonderful women of our stake. But mainly I'm nervous, depressed & overwhelmed with what it means for the future. I have no calling, meaning that I need the branch to be my main focus. The last two Sundays have been really hard, putting me in a dark place. It's not easy and being negative doesn't help my husband who seems to be the constant source of hard work and optimism. I feel useless, limited and discouraged. I recognize where the source of these feelings are coming. I know tomorrow is a new day and I will get busy to dispel the negativity.

That evening Elaine & kids arrived in preparation for Theater Camp the next day. We are excited to spend the week together!

Austin also had tennis lessons every morning at 8 am. It made the mornings a little dicey as the moms tried to get everyone ready and lunches packed and out the door by 7:30 am. How quickly we adjust to summer schedule! haha

They were super excited to get started!
That morning they had auditions for 2 hours to assign everyone their part. 

We got into the routine of me driving while Elaine stayed with the little girls and boys. The girls were always dressed and hair done when I got back. All 4 of them loved building Legos all week. And maybe the biggest shocked of all is that Daniel and Lucy got along on Monday. It didn't last all week but hey, there's hope!
Dog pile on Elaine!




 We gave Daniel his birthday present, he was very excited about the surfer and shark mini Lego set.

It was so fun to pick them up that afternoon to hear what part everyone got. Austin Troll 3, Emma Lynn Fairy 11, Lorna Town Crier, Spencer Sleeping Beauty's dog Spot, Ruth Caterpillar/Butterfly. It was a great first day! Typically every afternoon the younger kids do crafts while the older ones keep practicing. Ruth made this yummy summer pudding snack

Monday was also STUDIO C DAY {off our summer bucket list.} Emma spent a lot of time making decorations which was good so I could finally figure out who was who in the cast. We played Studio C Charades and really only my kids thought it was funny because the rest of us hadn't even seen the episodes they were acting out. Then we watched a few of there favorites. It was the first time I sat through an entire episode. Although I hate to admit it I did chuckle out loud once. 



Spencer had his first flag football practice that evening followed by FHE. We have been getting some summer storms - hooray for moisture! I loved this double rainbow. Its always a beautiful reminder of God's love.

I remembered that Emma and I were signed up to do Story Time in Vale Tuesday afternoon. It was terrible planning because she was still at camp when we were scheduled to teach. I should have paid attention to the dates. I scrambled to come up with an idea. I decided to do the same craft Ruth had done the day before at theater camp {beach pudding snack.} We had the perfect beach book that went with it. The librarian said there had been 40 kids the week before. Whoah. We planned for that many but I was grateful only 13 showed up. Much more manageable. 
                                         

Elaine picked up the theater camp kids and met us back at the library. 




We read books & then had dinner at Chavalitas because Spence had his first flag football game and there wasn't enough time to go home, eat and come back in. I introduced Elaine to the "Kids Room" at Chavalitas. It is a beautiful thing. We mostly enjoyed a quiet meal. haha 
This is how my kids helped Daniel obey the laws of the land {not run out into the road!}

Spence & team had a great first game! They won with 6 touchdowns. Spence and Braxton both scored!! After watching them at practice yesterday I think all the parents were shocked we won. Flag football is fun, to play & watch. We are going to enjoy this last season with the cousins playing together.  

Some common sights of the week: practicing lines on the drive in

Playing at the park during tennis lesson:

Elaine and I decided to take the kids to the Dollar Theater and splash pad on Wednesday so they had something fun to do too during the day. We went to "Tomorrow Land." It was not really a movie for the younger kids. I kept saying how much my boys would love it. Thankfully we were the only ones in the theater except for one other man. So when Daniel started running laps during the end of the movie we didn't care. hahaha
Lucy is so impressed with Ethan's "funny" face.

Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to go to the splash pad before we had to pick up the kids. When we got home the boys had Pokemon Day. It consisted of lots of Pokemon playing {with cards and on the computer.} I loved the Pokemon banner Austin created. Emma is rubbing off on him!




Ruth also let me pull out her bottom 2nd on the left tooth.



Thursday morning Jane had her 2 year old check up so she came with us for our early morning tennis lessons. She loved playing with the big kids at the park. All week the weather was quite delightful. Never in the 90's and especially enjoyable in the morning when we played in the park.


We walked across the street for Jane's check up. Everyone but Emma stayed in the waiting room to watch Disney Channel Junior. 
                                        

After calling her name the nurse told Jane that we were going to go weigh her. Jane took off running down the hall. She stopped right in front of the scale and sat down. Then she took off her scandals and stepped on the scale. Oh.My.Word it was THE cutest thing! The nurses were all dying. She had watched all her siblings with their well check ups and knew exactly what to do. I could not get over her sweetness. 
She did the same thing when it was time to be measured. Love this adorable bug!

While we were waiting for Dr. Sage to come in it was about time for the kids to head over for theater camp. Thankfully it was only 3 blocks away. I felt confident in letting them walk {and they felt big and responsible.} Sage & I watched from the window as they crossed the roads. They looked like a small excited army of energetic ants. 

Spence had another game that evening {they lost} but Elaine decided to take the other kids to see the new Minon movie. I promised Spence that I would take him for a mommy date to see it later. The 3 of us went to get paint at Home Depot so we could start the move-in-to-our-Nyssa-rental process. We also got sandwiches at Subway & a mouth guard for the game.
                                               

The rest of them met up with us at the game. Elaine and her boys always head down to the playground. Sad she didn't get to see Spence play but more important to keep her boys happy.

Friday Austin said he didn't have tennis lessons. I don't know if I believe him but regardless we didn't go in till it was time for camp and it was so nice to have a more relaxed morning. I left a little early that afternoon so I could pick up Kurt's dry cleaning and pizzas for dinner. Arturo from our branch was receiving his endowments that evening at 5 pm. I picked up the kids and as soon as we got home left with Kurt. HUGE THANK YOU to Elaine for not only watching all 8 children without major harm or incident. But Uncle Herb, Pam, Lindsey & kids arrived at the house about 40 minutes before we got home. Elaine was so gracious to play hostess and it wasn't even her house. Lindsey's kids were hungry so luckily we were able to pick up more pizzas on the way home. The endowment session was beautiful. I have never seen someone so happy to be in the temple. He was beaming. Kurt and I were the witness couple. There was lots of support from the Nyssa 2 ward, so many great people. It was a sweet experience. Thanks again Elaine - LOVE YOU!!!

It was really fun to visit with the Waite family that evening before everyone went to bed. It is so great to have the lodge {we are really going to miss that.} They are headed north to Washington for Jessie's house. All their kids will be gathering together for a reunion. 

Saturday morning they had breakfast with us and then were back on the road Washington or bust. I'm glad it worked out for them to pause at our place on the way.


The kids didn't have to be to the theater until 11 am. Again it was nice to enjoy a non rushed morning. We tried to pack a bigger lunch since they would be there all day. They were super excited to finally put on their play! And another miracle was taking place at home. 


They were performing the play twice, at 3 and 5:30 Everyone came to watch the 3 pm show. Then Kurt was so awesome and took the 4 little kids home. That allowed Elaine and I to watch, video, take pictures and enjoy without little kid distractions.
 Waiting for the play to start!

It was so hard for the little kids to be quiet once the play did start, "There Spencer! He's a dog!" Elaine and I both took turns out in the foyer making us all them more grateful for Kurt and the second show. It between the two shows we went to Albertsons to buy candy and flowers for the kids and food for us. The play was awesome. It was my favorite Missoula Children's Theater play I've seen so far. The story was fun, the music was catchy and the actors were superb. This was Austin's first play and the troll role was perfect for him - and his fellow pre-pubescence trolls. Oh my goodness they were awkwardly funny & silly. Lorna did wonderful with her long paragraph monologue. Spencer was an adorable puppy. Those animal roles are perfect for him. Emma was a beautiful fairy and Ruth a cute caterpillar. I love her stage grin. She was suppose to be mad/angry caterpillar but she.could.not.do.it. She can't stop smiling. :) It's so fun to finally see the production after hearing about it all week. Well done - BRAVO -   

 Lorna - Town Crier





 Austin - Troll 3


                                              





 Emma - Fairy 11


                                      

                                     

Ruth - Caterpillar / Butterfly




 Spencer - Spot the dog










 The Whole Cast


OUR Cast

 After the production with the directors Kaitlin & Evan 



Random art work from the week:



After the play we went out to Wingers for dinner to celebrate. Thankfully they gave us a room to ourselves. The kids were very hyped up & loud. At one point they were singing a song from the play and a fellow fairy from the play heard them {from across the restaurant} and came to join in the singing. They sang another song together and then she went back to her table. I left our waitress a large tip.
I think cousins attending camp together is an awesome new tradition!

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...