Wednesday, July 24, 2013

w28: All About JANE

July 7 - July 13, 2013

She's here! 
She's HERE!! 
SHE'S HERE!!!

Oh happy day. Our joy is full.


Our Summer of Service Day 42 (07.07) 
We attended Parma 1 ward for some stake YW business. It was a happy break for me from our ward. The last week pregnant and I didn't have to answer all the endless questions why I was still pregnant and so huge. Parma 1 was nice to me and made me feel good. Personally so grateful we attended their ward.

We had Nick and Jamie over for dinner and I found out right before they came that the missionaries didn't have a dinner appointment. So obviously they came too. After dinner we divided and made visits. I went with the missionaries to Maggie and Kea's while Kurt took the kids to Kerri's (with birthday wishes.) Both visits went well. It was a perfect Sunday of family time and service. 

Our Summer of Service Day 43 (07.08)
After getting our chores done that morning we met up with friends to watch "dispicable me 2." Afterwards we ran errands (home depot, Walgreens, the library and grocery shopping.) 

We got home at 8:30. I got the kids bathed and was reading books with Lucy in her bed when Kurt got home. He came in to wish her good night. When he walked into the room at 9:45 I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my cervix. Kurt helped me up so I could investigate the pain. Slowly as I started moving around I started getting wet. I changed my garments and within seconds they were wet too. 

I said to Kurt, "So just to let you know my water broke."

His eyes got big, "High Five (which we actually did) cause I don't know what else to do!"

We had a short family home evening which mainly consisted of a blessing for me (I had asked for one that morning without knowing the events that would unfold.) Found someone to watch the kids (Brooke Hawkins was coming out the next morning to babysit b/c I had a Doctor appointment so we asked her to come a little earlier and spend the night with them.)

Then we grabbed the prepared bags and headed out the door. I was proud and grateful for the way the kids handled the situation. Emma Lynn finished reading scriptures with Spence and Ruth. Lucy had not fallen asleep with all the excitement and Austin went in to read and help her calm down and go to sleep. I knew they would be fine until Brooke arrived. That was a great feeling. Proud of their maturity and ability to help when it was needed.

I started timing contractions on the drive over. They were 5-10 minutes apart but not increasing in intensity. I felt confident that we would reach the hospital in time. I even told Kurt to slow down twice ;)

We checked into the labor and delivery triage at 11:30 pm. They did some test, hooked me up to a monitor and confirmed that my water had indeed broken. I was dilated to a 4 1/2 at this point. The nurse went out and Kurt fell asleep. And I continue to have contractions. I could tell I was making progress (as I walked around the tiny room) and really kept wondering why they hadn't moved us to a labor and delivery room. Just when I was about to wake up Kurt and get some attention from the nurse they showed up to take us to our L & D room. The walk over was just about the most painful thing ever. Wasn't sure if I was going to make it actually. And the nurse tells me, "just breathe." 

We walked into our room and I looked at the bed and knew I could not get in it. I told the nurse, "I need to push." They called Dr. Laura Mullan (on call at the hospital) to come in the room until Dr. Rice got there. She checked me and I was at a 10 and complete. They called my doctor. I knew that she would not make it in time. Again I said, "I need to push." Dr. Mullan had her gloves on but I got the impression she was waiting for Dr. Rice to show up. That was not happening. I was feeling like no one was hearing me, did I need to scream it? No time for that either. The next contraction I pushed and Jane's head was out. That got their attention and they jumped over to grab her as I pushed once more and she was born. 12:49 am. 9 minutes after we walked into the L&D room. 

I almost felt like I needed to apologize for having her so quickly and abruptly. BUT I did tell them it was time to push. I really wasn't joking. You think they would listen to someone who had delivered 6 times. I wasn't admitted to the hospital, no IV, the bed wasn't broke and table not set for delivery. But obviously none of that matters because she came regardless of it all. I knew Kurt would jump in and catch her if they didn't.

They immediately put her skin to skin. She fussed and was discontent. "Aren't you happy to be born?!!" She was rooting and searching which was irritating. Seriously, can't I have a few minutes before we have to start that nonsense? Nope. A girl doesn't get big cheeks for nothing. She latched like a pro and was finally happy to be born.

She weighed in at 8.7 and 19 1/2 inches long. Kurt went back to sleep after notifying family and taking pictures. I cuddled and basked in the happiness that YES she was actually here and YES it was over!! ;)

They moved us to the mother / baby floor around 3 am. They continued to check us constantly and sleep was near impossible. Honestly I was still riding on adrenaline and probably wouldn't have slept any way.









We got up for "real" around 7. We ordered our special "congratulations" breakfast, took more pictures and talked with family and friends. The highlight for me was talking with my parents in Madagascar for over an hour. Maybe I should give birth more often! J/K

Kurt left around 9 to go back to Vale and get the kids. I was anxious to see them, for them to meet baby Jane and to be together as a family. While he was gone Jamie and boys came by to visit {thank for you the beautiful flowers.}

It was such a sweet reunion. It always makes me a bit weepy. In past the youngest child always look very overwhelmed, almost scared when they walk into the hospital room and see mom in a strange gown with a new baby. Not Lucy. She came running in, "Bebe Jane!" She was SO excited that she has HAIR! Lucy heaven and she continues to stroke it.





There visit was not very long as they were headed to Nyssa for ballet class. That evening Kerri and then the Kelli Ruf family came to visit. It was a semi restful night as far as hospitals go. Quiet hours in the early morning dawn snuggling my sweetness. Those are memories to cherish. Like other deliveries my body felt great and the other pain was nursing induced contractions.





Kurt was anxious to get us home and showed up in the early afternoon {even though I told him not to.} It always takes a while to wait for the doctors and nurses to get everything in order. The waiting driving him crazy {which is why I asked him to wait.} We finally got it all squared away. Here is Jane and I in "regular clothes" ready to take on the world.



 Kurt saw a good friend from our stake as he was coming into the hospital. His 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer just weeks ago. They had just checked into the hospital for more chemo. He asked Kurt to help him give a blessing. It was such a humbling experience. To have just been given a perfect gift straight from heaven and walk through the PICU with kids sick and struggling. To have friends face the trial of cancer with a beautiful, young, righteous daughter of God. I truly felt blessed beyond measure. Humbled and undeserving and grateful. Beyond words grateful.

Look at this sweet and happy scene to come home to.










This perfectly summarizes how the rest of the week went:


                                                                2 days old

                                                                3 days old

                                                                4 days old


                                                                5 days old



6 days old {LOVE this pic}

Jane was more calm once we got home from the hospital. The first 3 nights were long with not much sleeping. I was pretty happy just to hold and cuddle. I was blessed to get a nap each day so that was helpful too. By the fourth night she slept just a little bit more. Each night after that she would sleep a little longer stretch. It worked out perfectly and I was grateful.

Ruth is quite a little mother. I've been surprised because I expected it of Emma Lynn but its super cute.

                                   

If Jane cries Emma Lynn or Austin will quite quickly bring her to me. Most often I will be doing the dishes or laundry. Emma Lynn will say, "Mom take Jane so you can feed her. I can do that." These words no matter how many times she's said it are like a sweet treat to my heart. I appreciate her help.

Jane sleeps well in the craddle in our room. I decided to go with pink and grey for Lucy and Jane's room. I love her quilts and how the whole color scheme is coming together. And hello, her elephant, so cute.

It was a perfect first week home together. I am so grateful that I asked Kurt to take time off and that he was able to. I am so grateful that we could be home together. I am grateful for all the family and friends that came to meet and adore Jane. I am grateful for the presents and cards that came in the mail from family that is not close by. I am grateful for the meals that came and continue to come. I am grateful to be a mother and have my eternal family around me. My heart feels at peace and complete.

~~~Romans Reflections~~~

Saturday Lucy had her very FIRST stage debut at the Nyssa Thunderegg Days. She was so SO cute. She did not hesitate for a second and walked on stage with all the confidence necessary. She did all the moves and smiled at her family. So proud of my little starlet!


4 comments:

Elliot and Traci said...

So I laughed out loud that Kurt gave you a high five when your water broke. Ha! I think Jane looks like Lucy in th chubby cheek zoomed in picture but Ruth/Emma in the picture that you're holding her. I guess I'll really have to stare at her and figure it out when I get to come home and hold her!! CAN'T WAIT!! So happy for you guys!

Karen and Roger said...

Way to go Romans kids for being so mature and taking care of each other! :) And I'm glad you didn't apologize for having Jane quickly, because you shouldn't! Too bad I wasn't there to yell at them all for you. >;(

But on a happier note we're so excited for more pictures of Ms. Jane! Love you all!

'T' said...

Congrats! Love the high 5! So fast! Wow. Glad everything went great. You are a wonderful mother.

Joseph Richards said...

Beautiful baby and family.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...