Monday, July 1, 2013

w26: weather extremes

June 23-29, 2013

Our Summer of Service Day 28 {06.23}
Invite a visitor from church to lunch. That visitor happen to be our good friends the Browns who were visiting from Vernal. I sure miss them. Kurt whipped us some yummy {and healthy} breakfast food. It was great to catch up.

We all had to rush off to the broadcast for new mission presidents about missionary work. I had stake meetings after so I went to Nyssa while Kurt was in Vale. The meeting was excellent. And it my large and pregnant state comes emotions. So yes, I cried through almost the entire meeting. I did not want them to turn the lights back on! As a parent of boys I feel a strong responsibility to prepare them for their missionary service as they are leaving sooner/younger.

In my duration of living in Vale {which has been 7 years this month.} I often go through cycles about my friendships. Do I have any truly great friendship? {Has growing up overseas limited my abilities to make lasting friendships?} Ultimately Kurt is my best friend and the most important relationship I need to be cultivating but some times I forget. Sunday after all those meetings was a down cycle {I'm sure exhaustion played a part} and my kids noticed first. They are who I spend my time with, I'm grateful they notice me and love me unconditionally.

Our Summer of Service Day 29 {06.24}
Kurt and the oldest 4 kids left for Girls Camp at 5:30 am. Like any camping expedition it takes a lot of food and gear to get ready. Luckily Lucy and I could go back to bed after they left.

So basically Lucy and I were lost the next 2 days while the bulk of the family was gone camping. Monday we kind of just looked at each other and didn't know what to do without ourselves. Lucy was definitely not meant to be an only child. These are a few of the things she would say to me:

"Get in the car. Go get Spencer. Where is Austin? Let's go get him."
"Hold my hand mom. I need you."

For our service that day we visited a sad, and lonely friend. We also got to take a nap {WHOO HOO!} Meanwhile at camp it didn't stop raining. We kept praying that they were not a big, cold, wet, soggy mess. Kurt text read, "we are wet rats!!!!"

Our Summer of Service Day 30 {06.25}
Both days at camp the kids delivered Secret Sister presents for all the YW. I'm guessing they really liked having them around. ;) Lucy and I took dinner to a friend whose 100 year old father-in-law had passed away.

I had a DR appointment so Lucy got to hang out with grandma Cindy. Still making progress in the baby department {dilated to a 2 and effaced 80% with the induced date of July 12th if she doesn't arrived before.} In most exciting baby new: BABY GWENDOLYN Richards was born today! 10 days over due weighing 7 lbs 10 oz. The best part is that she was scheduled to be induced at 8 am but Maren went into labor the night before and she arrive at 6:40 am {just a hour for her induction time.} Funny girl! We are so glad she is here and healthy. Her family is over the moon.

Later that evening my soggy campers came home. We were overjoyed to see them!! Lucy would NOT let Kurt out of her sight.

They had very happy reports about their camping trip and didn't even mention the rain. I started to feel more sympathy for them as I did load after load of very wet laundry. They are now singing Girls Camp songs {love it}, Spencer burnt his fingers, Emma loved all the crafts, they hiked to the lake and went fishing in the rain, prepared a skit {which they acted out for me} and showed us their favorite games.





Our Summer of Service Day 31 {06.26}
Attended the baptism of Brother Green. He is a 75 year old man whose wife was rebaptized a year ago. When we got there the bishop asked Kurt to get into the font also to help lower him in the water. Brother Green is a big man. Kurt was not prepared with extra dry garments and I was unsure how it was going to work but they got it done. And in one attempt! For another act of service we pulled a Utah Mormon. We saw the missionaries at A&W and gave them money for dinner {totally thought of you Sam!}

And when we are not serving we are cleaning, organizing, riding the ranger, reading, eating endless amounts of melon and more laundry.

Our Summer of Service Day 32 {06.27}
Today was the gum grandma's birthday. She is the primary grandma who loves and adores ALL the Primary children. She gives all the kids gum and a hug after church. Plus write post cards, letter when they miss Primary and birthday cards. She is so super sweet and kind. We wanted to do something special to let her know we love and appreciate her. Each kid made a card plus mom {used sticks of gum to create little critters and wrote, "We are stuck on you!" Plus a bouquet of balloons. Even better was being able to visit with her for an hour.

Today at church she gave each of the kids a card to Thank them for being so kind and thoughtful to her on her birthday. Did I mention she's a great lady?!

After visiting we went swimming for a few hours. Spencer tore it up! He did the swim test {although no life guards were watching} and then went off the diving boards a few thousand times. He was doing toe touches and flips and all kinds of fun things. It was fun to watch. Lucy is also fearless and is constantly jumping out of my arms. We definitely need to keep going so they can practice and continue to feel comfortable.

Our Summer of Service Day 33 {06.28}
The ward talent show. Our family was well represented:

~ Austin displayed about 15 pieces of Star Wars origami
~ Emma Lynn displayed 2 pieces of art
~ Austin, Spencer and I {and one other cub scout} did a 3 minute skit. Spence delivered the punch line and got a great response!
~ Emma Lynn played the piano and sang with friend Katelynn, "When I am Baptized."
                                           
~ Lucy sang I am a Child of God {Yes, she really did. On the stage in front of everyone. I was shocked. The minute I put her on the stage she started singing. I said wait, waiti I have to get you a microphone! When we got home she said to herself, "I sang in the talent show."
                                               

~ Right after Spencer played I am a Child God on the piano
                                             

~ And the final act of the show Braxton, Brooke, Spencer and Ruth sang "The Good-bye Song" while Emma played for them on the piano. This is an original piece they made up, complete with ukulele and drums to bang on. Sadly enough I was taking Lucy out to the bathroom and missed the whole thing {but I have seen multiple rehearsals.}
 
                               

They all did great! I'm so proud of them. I was especially grateful when I saw Spencer jump in and sweep the gym floor {without being asked} after it was over. That kind of character and hard work is the best service/talent of all.

At church today the little boys in Primary were still talking about Spencer's potty humor punch line from the cub scout skit. You know he loved that!

Our Summer of Service Day 34 {06.29}
The kids did a car wash for Kurt's pick up and Grandma Cindy's camper. I think they are cleaner. They definitely had a good time. The weather has been so HOT that it was the perfect service. {Its suppose to be even hotter this week. Brace yourself.} 




Kurt and I also gave my favorite kind of temple service that night.


~~~~Romans Reflections~~~~
 
- Lucy runs up to me, "Good to see ya" and holds out her hand. She shakes mine and runs away.
- Austin asked me what I would do if I had 3 wishes. He responded that he would wish that everyone would join the church and have eternal life.
- Spencer randomly announces in the car, "I'm a nervous burper." {{not sure but think this might be a movie quote...}}
- As we get closer to the due date there is constant talk and prayers for baby Jane. Lucy hugs/talks/& kisses my belly multiple times a day. "Oh baby Jane I just love you."
- During the baptism Spencer drew a picture of himself being baptized. "I'm next!"
- Every morning Emma Lynn would practice and practice her songs for the talent show. When practicing on Wednesday with Katelynn she arranged the music so they would know what part would be the intro, interlude and then to repeat the last line for extra. They came up with this all on their own. After they made plans for the good-bye song at the Bair's house she came home, figured out the notes of the song they had made up and then wrote them out on the staff. I have been impressed with her musical desires and maturity.
- Lucy's nose was running and she comes up to me with a Kleenex, "my nose has to go potty."
- Ruth treated us with her culinary skills this week by making some S'more bars. They were tasty {it also completed #90 on our summer bucket list.}
- While watching "UP" Spencer went to find Kurt's scouting merit badge sash and put it on to channel his inner Russell.

2 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

The talent show sounds like so much fun! Keep up the service! I love the service to the gum grandma and "washing" the cars. :) We love you!

Joseph Richards said...

Wow, congrats to Lucy for singing in the talent show!! Great picture.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...