Sunday, July 21, 2013

w29: Back in the saddle again

July 14-20, 2013

Back to life. Back to reality. Luckily my reality is a blessed newborn miracle {amongst the every day routine.}

A few weeks ago I signed up Austin for a Lego Robotics camp in Nampa. I was thinking about the after school activities that he is involved in {piano, gymnastics and Cub Scouts.} None of them he does by free will. Piano and Cub Scout are not optional and Gymnastics I make him do for exercise. I wanted him to have something that HE enjoys and loves. I looked at a few camps before I found this one offer by the Nampa Recreation Center. The price and location were good {in comparison to downtown Boise.}

So camp was this week. Monday-Friday from 9-11:30 To get there on time we had to leave the house by 7:30 am {it was like back to school schedule - ahhhh!} At times it felt a little crazy, even for me. Our hang-out-while-Austin-is-at-camp went like this:

Drop him off.
Feed Jane.
Monday we shopped at Fred Meyer
Tuesday play at park
Wednesday shop at Deseret Book
Thursday shop at Target and Costco
Friday play at park
Feed Jane again.
Pick up Austin.

But we survived the week. We were all feeling a little ragged and tired by Friday though. I'm really glad that we made the effort for him. He was excited, it was cute to listen to his wonderings as we drove over each morning and exclamations as we drove home each afternoon..

There were 11 kids in the camp. They worked in pairs on their assignments. Austin's partner was Davon. Friday was battle of the bots where will designed and built their own bot to battle against each other. The kids and I came to watch the last 30 minutes and it was a little crazy, loud and intense. The boys were excited, what can you say?

As soon as camp was over Austin asked, "Can I come again next year?" Definitely a success
.

The summary of camp in his words:
I used different kinds of sensors and a NXT device. I learned how to build the express-bot, a robot spinning arm, and a car. I thought that battle bots and building with legos was fun.

Monday was also Hallie's birthday. She would have been 6. We did our traditional balloons at the cementary. The kids also made cards and we left Julie a bouquet of flowers knowing she would come  visit Hallie's grave. It was super cute to listen to Lucy sing happy birthday to Hallie as we drove over and anytime she wanted for the next 3 days. Good to remember.



Tuesday after camp we ate lunch and then went to the Dollar Movie {and watched EPIC.} Then slowly made our way to Nyssa for the girls ballet. It made for a super long day. But I LOVE watching my girls dance and I love that they LOVE it. Lucy follows her teacher well and has the ability to do what is asked even though she is young. Ruth gets SO excited and wants to participate in all THREE of the classes, not just her own. I love the strength and technique they are learning {especially Emma Lynn.} "Is it ballet day?" Ruth will ask me almost every day. And Lucy is always twirlin and shakin it.
"I danced on stage!"

Bebe Jane is officially one week old. A few pictures the kids took while we were at the park and some more at home.





  
We love our SWEET bebe Jane. What a perfect first week.

Wednesday after camp we went to the Draper's house to do a photo shoot of Jane. It was a disaster. She would not work with us and we ended up getting ONE picture and a whole lot of frustration. Ahhh. {Important side note: we tried again on Saturday and were very successful! I can't wait to see them!}

Jane's cord fell off after 5 days {fastest yet} although I continued to sponge bathe her until Saturday night. And yes she hated it and screamed plenty.


                                         Snuggling up with mom when she's done.

Also noteworthy: Thursday I finally got the chair of my mothering dreams. It is a rocker recliner that allows me to rock my baby and allows enough room for others to snuggle too. It has been dubbed the "read and feed" chair. LOVE it. {Thanks Kurt!}

2 comments:

'T' said...

I've been hoping for pictures of Miss Jane. She's just perfect.

Joseph Richards said...

Nice chair! You could sleep in that one. Looks like Austin had fun at lego camp.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...