Wednesday, July 31, 2013

W31 we are a work in progress

July 28 - August 3, 2013

Still transitioning. I've been trying to decide what has made this time harder than the rest. Is it Lucy's need for extra TLC? Is it my age? Is it the inability to cope with less sleep? Is it the responsibility of caring for 6? Is it my shortcoming staring me in the face? Is it an over abundance of hormones?

Most likely a combination of all of the above.

I want it to be stated that I am enjoying Jane and her snuggles. Lucy still makes me laugh with all her crazy antics. I smile as Ruth uses the kitchen island as a ballet barre. Spencer and I are enjoying quiet time reading "Pirates Past Noon" together. Emma Lynn brings joy as she offers and helps with laundry and dishes so I can help Jane. Austin continues fold any piece of paper into shapes and creations at an alarming rate.

Life is good.

But I feel off my game. I don't feel like myself. Trying to gain balance and find the new normal for a mom of six. We still read scriptures, pray and have family home evening. The essentials that keep us focus and grounded to the Lord. It will come. And in the process I just need to be patient with myself.

Enough of my feelings. Here's what happened this week. Tuesday was ROMANS DAY.Traci was in town for the week and so this was our family reunion. The moms and kids met at Kelli's house that afternoon to play. They 2 rented bounce houses, and snow cone machine for lots of out door water fun. The kids were in cousin heaven. Really appreciate Kelli for hosting and all the preparation that went into that.








Unfortunately the girls still had ballet that afternoon. Because it was the last practice before their performance at the fair this week I felt like it was important to go. I may have had to bribe them with ice cream cones to leave the cousin party. Once there they were in dance heaven. During Emma's class the teacher asked her if she wanted to do a solo at the fair. She said yes and we started making plans. I was shocked and excited that she was willing to do this. After class we went back to Kelli's for pizza and watermelon. The guys had also arrived by this time. It was a good evening.

Jane is 3 weeks old today also. She has progressed to being awake for longer stretches during the day {usually twice.} She looks like she is always on the verge of smiling. This excitement usually overstimulates her and she will often get the hiccups. I will rock her to sleep. Her sleep pattern at night has generally increased to 4 hour durations.






Wednesday Jane had a weight check. She still had not got back to her birth weight so the Dr wanted to make sure we were making progress. At 3 weeks she weighs 8.12 lbs, surpassing birth weight and the Dr. was extremely happy with her progress.

After the check up we went to Jo-Anns to pick up material and such to make a special costume for Emma Lynn's solo on Saturday. I wanted to do something special for her because I felt like this was a big deal and I wanted Emma Lynn to feel beautiful and confident. Since she was dancing alone we had the liberty to do whatever we wanted. We discuss some ideas, searched Pinterest and found inspiration from all the shiny, glittery pink fabric. If only I knew how to sew!! Luckily a talented lady in our ward was gracious enough to take the project on a 3 day time frame {bless her heart!}

Thursday I had plans to go to the temple with Jamie. We were going to switch off with Jane. Lucy was need of mom that morning and so I modified my plans. Since I still had a babysitter coming to watch the other kids Lucy and I went on a mommy date. I needed to make a run to Costco for all the weekend events {company coming and Jane's blessing.} So we did that plus a few other stores. We picked out new fingernail polish and a coloring book {which we did together at home.} Of course food was involved but mainly just spent some time together. "We're on a date!" she would exclaim to me.


During the course of the week we have gone back to diapers 100% with her. I wanted our interaction to be happy and positive and all things toilet were not. So it wasn't worth it. I have no doubts that when she is ready and wants to the potty training will be a snap. But that time is not yet. And to not battle it is better. There is peace and easiest by removing that element and now we can just focus on Lucy. One thing at a time.

Kurt spent a lot of time Wednesday - Saturday working outside to get the place cleaned up for the weekend. He had ripped out most of the trees the week Jane was born. So it was just cleaning up the branches, rocks and junk. The kids "helped" some too. I appreciate his efforts and it does look much better.

Friday I went over to the Sprint store - it was officially time to get an upgrade for my phone! My camera had broken right after I had gotten my phone fixed in Logan {the beginning of June!} It was very torturous to not have a camera on my phone especially having a new baby. Any how I was extremely grateful to get a new phone!! I got the same phone {4s} so that I didn't have to spend any more money on it.

Saturday we spent the morning finishing up cleaning projects {inside and out} and then got ready for the fair. Emma Lynn's costume turned out beautifully. I was so pleased. Sam pulled into town just as we were heading over to Ontario. Perfect timing. We met Kerri over there to do make up. In true fair fashion it was hot and it felt like we were melting watching them but the girls did so fabulous! Its so fun to watch and I'm a proud mama.

Lucy did even better, smiling constantly, having fun and doing all the moves. So comical.

Ruth is so exact with her dancing, quite the perfectionist. She has a quiet smile and does so well.
Emma Lynn probably practiced 5 times a day {at least.} She was ready. She was excited AND nervous. She was flawless. Who knew that was my shy daughter. SO PROUD of the progress she has made, all her hard work and the confidence to do hard things.





We ate some fair food. Saw a few animals and then headed home.


Our good friends from Iowa were driving through and spent the night with us. It was so great to see them again. Such good people. I wish we had had more time together. It was so fun to see their son Sam and Austin {who were good friends as toddlers} pick up and have fun together.


I pulled a late night to finish preparation for Jane's blessing the next morning. While things started to even out with Lucy towards the end of the week nursing took a turn for the worse around Thursday. I have no doubt that Jane and I have thrush. The pain makes us both cry and we are praying for the strength to endure. If she wasn't so little I'd wean her. 

~~~~Romans Reflections~~~~~
- Lucy has become very good at expressing herself:
-----"I am so happy right now."
----- she woke up gave me a hug and said, " good morning. I am a child of god."
-----"I am sad. Will you make me happy ?"
- Lucy loves to watch PBS Daniel tiger neighborhood on my Kindle.
- Lucy also loves to give Eskimo kisses which she calls muga muga
- Spencer said the one thing he could not live without (after family) was dads pancake syrup.
- Ruth explained the social truth: girls drive cars and boys drive pick ups
- Emma's nick names: luz guz {Lucy} and john-night-o {Junito the cat}
- Lucy often tells me, "I want to keep her." {referring to Jane.}

3 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

Haha, please keep Jane! Your girls looked so cute in their dance outfits. I wish I could've seen them dance!

Ben and Elaine said...

Sorry life is hard right now. It will take time to adjust. Love all the precious pictures of Jane. Perfection. The Romans reunion sounded fun. The girls were perfect in their tutu's. Congrats Emma on your solo!

Joseph Richards said...

Great job to all the girls on their dancing! The Romans Day looked like a blast.

Rachel, you need to S L O W D O W N . You are doing a great job, you just need to take it easy now and again...love you, hope the thrush is cured soon.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...