Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Legacy of Love

week 7: February 16-22, 2014

Sunday
Stake conference. Meetings and a few more meetings. The girls in diapers were both clearing their systems apparently cause there was lots of diapers to change for BOTH parents. I got a text from Kurt during a meeting, "I hate poop." Later when he was at a meeting I pulled Jane out of the bumbo and found a pile of poop {blowout extraordinar!} So I had to send Kurt this pic {edited by Emma Lynn} to him.
Do these count as love notes?

Over the weekend Kurt and I were able to communicate about our budget. It was so productive with the use of spreadsheets, apps and open discussion. I feel SO much better now. The stress and depression have lifted and goals seem attainable. I'm so sure that communicate is the key to EVERY relationship.

Monday
We finished off our last day of no school {President's Day} with a special Family Home Evening. We asked Kurt to come home early so we could get started knowing it would take longer than normal. Channeling our inner Sochi we hosted our own Willow Creak Winter Olympics {Romans style.}

Starting by lighting the Olympic torch.


The first event was HOCKEY
{Kurt and Emma VS Austin and Spencer}
More than 90% was spent chasing the ball after it got hit down the hill. Only a few people slid into mud on the way down. hahaha Definitely a good workout.

The second event was ICE SKATING
Each person got to pick their music and a card that gave them a specific "trick" they had to perform in their routine. Kurt gave each person a number, for example, 5 and so they had to do that many tricks {5 leaps.} Kurt and I did a pairs routine at the end. We were silly and the kids ATE it UP! As Kurt said, it was worth it just to watch their faces.



The third event was SPEED SKATING
With a box on each foot we had to speed around the kitchen/family room loop. We were cheering loud and crazy and we awkwardly looped the loop.

The final event of the evening was CURLING
Girls against Boys and Dad pushed me out for the win.

Everyone is a winner in my Olympics. I love my award stage and the fine Olympians on it.

 Gold Medal Baby


Tuesday
I captured a picture of this crazy girl and her crazy bed time tuck in, play and then crash routine. By the end of the week I was tired of the nonsense and took a more firm approach with bedtime for her. And guess what, she immediately went to sleep {without getting out once.} The nap time / travel time is still a HUGE factor. Its all a juggling act.

Wednesday
After late start drop off I took Lucy to Nancy's and Jane to Angelica's and Kurt and I escaped to the temple. I really love this time with him and I love the importance we put on attending. Its only blessed our marriage and family.
Time crunch lunch at Panda Express

As we got out of the temple there was a voice mail from the school that Ruth had a temp of 102. Of course we were an hour away. We rushed back to pick her up. 

That evening I started cooking preparations for the Cub Scout Blue and Gold banquet. We were doing a Mexican theme; build your own taco, rice, beans, chips and salsa. I was making all the beans. I cooked up 2 ten ounce cans from our food storage of pinto beans and tried to recreate Mexico in my kitchen. I wanted to try a small batch Wednesday night to make sure I could cook in mass quantities on Thursday. The kids were in heaven. Emma Lynn came out of her bedroom, "I can't sleep it smells so good out here." The next morning Austin took cooked beans in his lunch. I asked him how they were, "Cold. But good. I kept telling everyone I had Cool Beans. HAHAHA" He's cute when he thinks he's so funny. 



Thursday
Right around lunch time I got a call from the school again that Ruth had a temp of 102. I was really grateful that I had done a lot of work the night before and that morning for the banquet. I rushed to pick her up, got her some meds and liquid before taking her to an eye appointment.

Ruth has been saying her eyes hurt and asked me to make an appointment for her. Thursday at 1 was the day. I really like our eye doctor. She specializes in pediatrics. Its important to me to like my doctors.



Her eyes haven't changed since her last appointment in the fall. But since her eyes are sensitive and its causing pain the answer is...you guess it - GLASSES. She will just need them for school work {reading.} I don't want her to take them on and off {more chances for damaging} but we will have to find a perfect solution. She was excited to try on glasses but unlike Emma was unsure what to pick. I helped her narrow it down to two and we found this winner!


We rushed home to finish preparation for the banquet. I over volunteered myself for this event. I am SO grateful for big kids that are so helpful and good workers. I could not have finished everything without them. I gave each kid a job and we worked it out. What a team.

After I frosted my 100 cake Ruth put on all the M&M's. 

We got a FREE {new} domino's pizza box for Austin's pizza cake. He frosted and grated white chocolate and placed candy just right to make this amazing cake. LOVE it.




The dinner was a success. The cake auction even better. I thought our turn out was low and I was worried but the cakes went for higher than ever before {average $80 many over $100.} It was a good fundraiser. Can you believe this is Austin's last Blue and Gold Banquet and cake auction. I was feeling a tad sentimental. Even though Cubs is crazy I'm grateful to have experienced it with him.

Friday
After a 4 miles run, quick pack and clean up of the kitchen {from beans and baking madness} we jumped in the car for a lightening trip to Overton. We left at 8:30 am. The kids traveled great. Sooooo grateful for that.


We stopped for ice cream cones at McDonalds in Ely, NV. We really stopped for the play place so the kids could run around. After a half hour I was all I could take {germophobic moment.} The last 45 minutes Jane was mad and ready to be DONE. But honestly. Who could blame her.

We went to Grandma and Grandpa to visit and eat dinner. It was nice to be able to have some time to visit with them by ourselves especially knowing that Saturday would be busy. Sam came down with Tyler and we met him at the motel. He stayed in a room with the 3 oldest and we were across the hall with the rest. After baths and scriptures everyone passed out.



Grandma's party was at 2 {decorating and setting up at noon.} We went over to their house that morning to help Alyx with decoration and cook up meat. Sam and kids went for a walk to the muddy river. Kurt kept them busy with yard work. The weather was gorgeous. The cousins were happy to play and I always love visiting with grandma.



    Lucy taking a walk with Sam. She was overjoyed to have her buddy back! 

At the church it was fun to see family again and 
see everyone jump in to get things done and ready. 

I love this lady. I am so glad we made the effort to go to the party. She is worth it! I'm grateful for the blessing and legacy she is to me. Overton still feels like coming "home" because she is there.

 getting their baby Jane fix




 This kid is the cutest.
 always besties these two!
 Exhaustion

 Austin enjoyed hanging out with Luke and Austin.



GREAT party. Of course it wasn't enough time with anyone but it was better than not going! So glad we came. We headed north for home at 6 pm. We decided to take advantage of Elaine's empty house and crashed at 1 am.

~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- Spencer said about an animal fact book he got for Christmas, " I'm going to give this book to my son, that is if I have a son.
- I called the kids my friends. Lucy laughs, "we're not friends. We're just your kids."
- Lucy has been asking multiple times a day ALL week, "Why do I have a head?"
- What was my name before I was Lucy? She decided "Ludy"
- On the way home from school {where all the good conversations happen} the kids were talking about Grandma and Grandpa Richards first names. Spencer thought they said Dink Richards. We corrected him but he was still laughing. "I wonder if some kids called him "dink"
- Austin detecting wifi on his kindle as we drive 
- I'm gonna take dance in middle school so I can be a rock star when I grow up. {direct quote from Spencer and after watching his "ice skating" moves at our Winter Olympics I believe it}
- "respect" comes on radio. Lucy: "Oh I love this song!" {like she's heard it before!!} 
Kurt: Greenland is a continent where they all speak English 
Austin: Greenland isn't a continent
Kurt: yes it is.
Austin: maybe it was when you were a kid
- what does the fox say? "I'm a hound dog" {Emma Lynn in a perfect movie quote voice}
- As we were driving to Overton Lucy asked Kurt to turn on lights "a minute." She's picking her nose. And Kurt asked, "Did you find rice in there?" "No! A Booger. And. I. ATE. IT!!"

And my favorite of the week:
Grandpa Waite to Kurt while Grandma and I were admiring the cards she had made, "I'll have grandma send you a card when when you're in the cardiac unit of the hospital."

1 comment:

Ben and Elaine said...

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful life you have, you just laugh constantly with those hilarious kids. :)

Loved your Romans Olympics. So creative.

You rocked the cub scout fundraiser! Your cakes were amazing!

Glad Lucy is doing better with bed time.

Thanks for making the effort to come to Overton. It was wonderful to see you!

My favorite is the quotes from the kids, hilarious.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...