Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Richards Reunion

August 16 - 23, 2015

I really enjoyed Stake Conference in WJ. It was a spiritual experience and quite honestly I can't say that about stake conference. The focus was on the Sabbath day. I took away the commitment to be more prepared in my worship to show the Lord a sign of my devotion to him.

 Walking home from Stake Conference

 Dinner prep

 Right after church Grandpa, Kurt and Spence picked up Tim from the airport. 

 Happy to be reunited!


Shortly after the Richards arrived. YAY we are all TOGETHER!!

Grandma Karen & Kay also came for dinner. It was Kay's 80th birthday. We were happy to celebrate with him. Kay is a wonderful man and has been a happy blessing for grandma and our entire family. They were kind enough to bring a beanie bear for each of the kids {that grandma had gotten at a garage sale.} It was a highlight for all the kids. Thanks grandma!


 cupcakes!!!
 Look how lucky uncle Roger is to get cuddles after Jane's nap. 
 Kurt managed to fall asleep in the middle of the room in the middle of the conversation. That's not shocking but he didn't snore, that IS the shocking part.

 SISTERS!

 I tortured everyone by asking to take pictures since we were all together again. I don't care.  :)

 Tim convinced us to taste limes with salt. I'm not convinced in its awesomeness.
Roger has an awesome blog, Pop Culture Parables. He asked the oldest 3 to write a post. It was a great Sunday activity. Thanks Roger for the invite & helping them write & edit.


 Evening creation walk around the block. 

Monday was the first official day of the reunion. We spent the day at Snowbird in Little Cottonwood canyon. It was a huge success. The kids made it fun and there were enough adults to pass around kids and therefore the FUN.





























Our family stayed until the park closed at 6 pm. We wanted to get our money's worth and quite honestly we were having a great time. Jane took her nap in my arms and then Kurt's when she was ready for her nap and in between we just kept playing. The beautiful scenery made the rides and time together that much more enjoyable. Emma is very scared of heights. The very first thing we did was ride the tram to the top. She would get nervous and bury herself in me. Spencer told her to "Face You Fears!" That became the motto for the day {reunion?} By the end of the day she rode the tram without me. She really did face her fears and in turn had a very fun day with her family.

Tuesday morning we had family pictures scheduled. Tim's friend Elizabeth took them and it went well. It is always interesting when you try to get that many people {especially some little ones} to take pictures. We did it!














Then it was to the church for lunch that Kurt and I were in charge of {mom completely told me what  to make and had the supplies, thanks mom!} Emma drew a picture of each family member to decorate these family trees for the center pieces. They look awesome Emma!



Next we did the craft / activity the McMullans planned: rain gutter regatta. Luckily the cub scouts had an inflatable course mom was able to borrow. First they decorated their sails and boats and then it was outside for the race. Lots of blowing, lots of spitting, lots of good fun and the littlest races enjoyed when we dumped the water out and it raced down the sidewalk gutter.








We taught the younger generation Fruit Basket, trying to help it live on. There were a few characters who just wanted to be in the middle. We still have some work to do haha. Then we went into the gym for our glow in the dark dance party. At the end we added some balloons to the mix.

Joseph was awesome to buy a variety of 80 ice cream treats and we enjoyed them outside on the grass. We stayed and visited for quite a while.

That evening I took Kurt to the airport to catch his flight home. I really didn't want to turn around and drive back down to Utah this weekend for Alyx's reception when we were already here. The first day of school on Friday was the only thing holding me back - and Emma's inability to not miss anything. I had the brilliant idea that I could give the kids the gas money it would have taken to drive back for the reception. Split the money 4 ways and do whatever you want with it. Kurt agreed to the scheme and I presented it to the kids.  They saw this as the once in a life time opportunity that it was and jumped on it. And now I can honestly say that I have bribed my children with money.

The older kids slept outside that night. Well Spence tried but he was sleep walking so I brought him inside with me. We couldn't find his sleeping in the dark. This is where it was the next morning:
 His is the red one. I don't know what to do with that sleep walker.

I'm really glad we could stay longer and enjoy the simple moments with cousins, grandparents and aunts/uncles. I feel like I miss out a lot because I'm always rushing off to the next thing. It was enjoyable to spend the week together. 


 The girls love spending time with grandpa in the morning. 
Lucy loved to help water and pick tomatoes.

The sisters and 3 oldest girls went to get pedis that morning. That has become a back-2-school tradition that is fun. I loved sharing it with sisters even more!




 I really indulged and decided to get these acrylic nails. Kinda cool and crazy. I like how I feel fancy {pretty} without trying. We will see how long they last haha



That afternoon we went to the Splash pad / park close to mom's house. It was definitely cool. That evening we found the Kern's library and while it may have been ghetto to mom & dad it was far cooler than anything we have at home. 









That evening we found the Kern's library and while it may have been ghetto to mom & dad it was far cooler than anything we have at home. 

Thursday they used their bribe money while Adelaide had Richards Retreat. We spent way too long in Target toy section. The oldest 3 had their decision made in 10 minutes, no regrets. Lucy took forever. Finally I just let her get the Barbie she wanted from the start.



Emma left this on my seat after the bribe shopping trip.


We got school shoes for Austin and Spencer at the NIKE outlet, picked up enough complimentary "socks" and then headed to the bowling alley.

The kids played a game and so did the adults. Karen schooled us all.







 The rest of the afternoon the kids played with their new goodies. There was a lot of LEGO action.



My little girls joined Adelaide with her Richards Retreat water activities and that was so much fun for all of them!






Friday we went on a hike that Roger had found. It was a little difficult to find the actual start of the hike but once we did it was short and sweet. Thank goodness because there were a lot of tired hikers. Grateful to have all those extra arms, backs and shoulders to help pack tired limbs.
















We separated from the group and headed to Ikea {we were so close!} I checked in Ruth and Lucy to the kid play area, the boys and Jane watched a movie outside the kid area while Emma and I got lost in Ikea. I did manage to buy a few items that we shoved into every corner of our car.



Saturday we loaded up the car, tried to clean up our stuff before heading to the church in Boutiful where Alyx's reception was taking place. We were able to visit with Grandma and Grandpa Waite. That was the most important reason for staying to me. I love them, it is always SO wonderful to see them. Just wish it was more frequently. 

 The gym looked amazing. 
Right as the reception started we got on the road. I didn't want to be arriving super late and it had been a long week with not much sleep but lots of memory making!

While we were driving Kurt was at the Branch Fiesta. On Thursday they killed our last remaining pig that we had raised. When Kurt went to get the meat out of our frig from the lodge on Saturday it was completely rancid. All of it. Hours before the party was suppose to begin. My heart just broke for him. He rushed over to Caldwell to get more meat. He arrived back at the fiesta late but with food and they carried on. There were about 100 people in attendance. Just because we are doing the Lord's work doesn't mean it will be easy. But we will be blessed for our faithful efforts.
Nueba from our branch with her non-member friend wearing the pinata remains on their heads.

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...