Monday, February 16, 2009

Our Special Olympians Part 2

Our experience is officially over. What a good one it was. I cannot say again how grateful I am that we were able to participate. It really brought me back to my childhood and my desires to serve handicap & underprivileged people. It all seems like a different life, a forgotten memory tucked in the back of my mind. Raising my kids is all consuming and a completely different life than that of the save the world, peace corps dreams. I wouldn't change what I'm doing for minute! Teaching your children correct principles can make a difference in the world. I always dreamed that I would teach my children the love of this special kind of service. Having this experience was exactly that. What a joy to bring back that forgotten memory of a previous life and blend it with my current journey.

They had their first game on Sunday. We opted out of that one. But between Kurt and I we were there for all the other games. I spent Monday, Wednesday and Thursday over there and Kurt covered Tuesday. It was very all-consuming as we rushed over to Boise every day and still kept up the responsibilities we have in Vale. But the spirit of Special Olympics is real. I love watching the games & really feeling a sense of true sportsmanship. Everyone felt and acted like a winner. Now if the rest of the world could just learn and apply that concept!

Thursday afternoon was their final game. At that point who ever won that game would receive the gold medal. They were playing against Japan (whom they had never beat.) It was a very intense game. Japan played strong and won. But still our boys were so PROUD! And rightly so. They odds they overcame just to arrive in the US, just to get on that court are inspiring. While they deserved the gold it was miraculous for their small, young team to receive the silver. THEY ARE WINNERS! As they stood on the award podium it was impossible not to swell with pride as they each were awarded a silver medal.

And then to say good-bye. It is amazing how full circle we came with the boys. The first few nights of being scared half to death, homesick like crazy to constant mile wide grins, high fives, joking, teasing & lots of hugs. It has been a treasure to share this once-in-a-life-time opportunity with Nadin and Sawvey. Love needs no words to communicate.


Pregame Faces


Cheering Section


The faces of their FIRST victory and FIRST goal.






Silver Medal Winners

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...