Wednesday, August 4, 2010

signs and symptoms

The second it was officially August 1st the school fever struck.

My mind starts whirring with all the lists of things TO DO to get the next preschool year ready.

And new to the school scene - Emma Lynn - whose mouth has been whirring with the anticipation of the upcoming new adventure awaiting her.

That is ALL she is talking about. I have never seen her talk so much or be so excited for anything. Despite the dread I feel I can't help but grin when her excitement bubbles over.

I think she is inspired to be extra excited to help her mother try to feel less sad (and depressed, lonely, pathetic, etc...) She is good to her mom.

In case you have never personally experienced a super-excited-giggly-burst-at-the-seams 5 year old weeks before starting kindergarten here are a few of the signs and symptoms to look for:

~~~ Going through all her new school clothes, organizing and coordinating outfits specifically for each day of the first week {if not her whole life!}

~~~ Trying to schedule her Back-2-School mommy date with me every day. Insisting that she needs to buy her school supplies right now. {Fortunately and unfortunately I didn't have the school supply yet so I was honestly able to procrastinate the scheduling. Her reply was to write up her own supply list complete with pictures of each item and boxes for checking off.}

~~~ Making a count down till school starts chain. {21 days left...}

~~~ Endless discussions especially with her all knowing soon to be second grade brother.

E: Will we ride the same school bus?
A: Do we live together?
E: Ya.
A: {smiling} Then we have to ride the same school bus!
E: Can I sit with you?
A: Ya.
E: Will you walk me to my class every day?
A: No. I will the first day but then I'll just point you where to go after that.

~~~ Coordinating a special hand shake only for the students of VES that live on 1922 Graham Blvd.

~~~ Making a checklist for all the new friends she will make. "Every day that I make a friend I will check it off my list when I come home. Some days I'll make 1 friend, next day 5 friends then maybe 3 friends."

~~~ ASKING EVERY DAY WHEN HER LETTER WILL ARRIVE TO KNOW WHO HER TEACHER IS.

Well...the anticipated letter arrived today!

Emma Lynn's teacher is Mrs. Wagner.

We are all very happy about that. I think Emma Lynn was also inspired with her friend checklist - all her friends are in the other classes.

Now that we have the school supply list it looks like I'll be scheduling my mommy date with my soon-2-B kindergartner. Her excitement is contagious!

4 comments:

mom said...

I'm happy for Emma Lynn! So adorable!!! Love, love, love the count down chain and the list of supplies w/pics and boxes to check. What a super attitude about making friends!!! She's her mother's daughter! Mrs. Wagner? Is she the wonderful lady I met at t-ball? I think so. Have fun in all your preparations, you are off to a great start!!!

'T' said...

Rachel, You are a beautiful writer. Thank you for capturing mommy-hood feelings so well for us to read. Best of luck as you get ready for back-to-school. Emma Lynn will love it so much. T

sochie said...

I agree with "T", you are an excellent writer and i love how excited your kids are for school. Kaiya cant wait for kindergarten herself. I sure do wish we lived closer though so i could send my kids to your preschool. You are such a fun mom!

Joseph Richards said...

cool Emma likes school so much. maybe she'll be a teacher.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...