Friday, July 30, 2010

Allergic

So we found that Spencer has an allergy (besides seasonal hayfever.)

Thursday morning while Ruth and I ran to the grocery store Spencer got stung by a bee 2 times (in different locations) on his face. They told me about it when I got home so I immediately gave him Benadyl (he has been known to swell with mosquito bites so I knew bee stings wouldn't be good...)

We went spent the day in Strawberry {had a fabulous time.}

8 hours post sting

We rolled in to Vale just minutes before midnight. At this point the Bedadyl was really starting to wear off and he was in a lot of pain. There was definitely some swelling going on. I woke Spence during the night to make sure he had Benadyl every 6 hours.

24 hours after the bee sting this is what Spencer looked like:

It just made my heart hurt to see him like this.

I found it odd that it was getting worse with time instead of better. I called the nurse who asked, "Can you tell if there is any swelling?" I laughed out loud {hopefully she doesn't find me rude because I know she wasn't in front of him but look at the poor kid!} She told me to keep giving the Benadyl and the Dr. would call in an epi-pen in case he started to have trouble breathing. Kurt and Jessie gave him a blessing. About an hour later the Dr.'s office called back. The Dr. wanted to see him before she prescribed the epi-pen but didn't have time to see him today. Seriously? o.k. I went to our clinic in Vale {they were all super nice and friendly btw.} Short story it was starting to get infected, they prescribed a antibiotic and steriod for immediate recovery. An epi-pen for future recovery if he were to get stung again. They cautioned me that subsequent bee stings will only get worse...

24 hours after meds {36 post sting}

8 comments:

'T' said...

oh rachel how scary for you guys. poor buddy.

Marti Bair said...

He looks much better now! Braxton said even though his face was swollen he was still fun to play with.

Kelli said...

Every time I see his puffy little face it makes me cringe! Poor guy! Glad he's doing better.

TulsaT said...

Holy cow, that's awful. So he won't be a beekeeper for his profession. Good to know.

Elliot and Traci said...

Oh my goodness! Mom told me his face got swollen, but I never imagined it was this bad. I'm so glad he's ok! Glad you had fun at Strawberry, and it's good to know Braxton still thought he was fun to play with. :)

Tiffany said...

Hoss is allergic to Augmenten. We found out the same way. To top it off - the people at VFHC in Vale told us it was the chicken pox so just let it go until his who body looked like the one side of Spencer's face. Yeah - it was then that I realized it wasn't the chicken pox!!!

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mom said...

Poor baby. So happy the road to recovery and the knowledge to help in the future is in place. Hugs, love and prayers to you sweet Spencer.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...