Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pine Wood Derby

Thursday, April 28th was Austin's FIRST Pine Wood Derby.

My nature likes everyone to be winners so sometime I find events like this hard. But we had a fun evening so we'll count it a success!

Kurt's philosophy was for Austin to experience the pine wood derby. "We're not out to win it the first year." This worked well for me.

Austin completely designed his car. The week he got the kit Kurt took him {and Spencer} to the shop and cut it out according to Austin's drawing. After very minimal sanding he came to me for the paint job. He wanted to use crayons but luckily I persuaded him that paints were a better choice of medium. He painted each side of the car a different color {red, green, orange and blue} complete with a yellow lightening sign on the front. The number 16 on every side was the final touch.



So his car wasn't fast. But luckily that was okay and he still had a great evening with the boys in his den.



I think one of the cutest things about the Austin starting Cub Scouts is Spencer's interest and enthusiasm. He was right by Austin's side for each step of the pine-wood-derby-making process. He loves to study Austin's Wolf book. And he told me that he will have to stop gymnastics when he is 8 so that he can go to Cub Scouts. I love that he was willing to sacrifice gymnastics cause he knows Cub Scouts is important. Luckily I told him that he will most likely be able to do both. :D

He stayed like this the entire night. He was more captivated than the scouts!


And another thing - I think it should be a rule that dad's don't get too involved with the pine wood derby. Some of them are a little too...intense...

Here's to many, many more pine wood derbies in my future.

2 comments:

'T' said...

fun updates! i like your car austin.

mom said...

You did a great job on your car Austin! Thanks for remembering to show it to me when I was there!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...