Saturday, April 30, 2011

BAPTISM



It is surreal to me that this moment has come. We have been blessed to be parents for eight years. We have learned so much in the journey together. I know that it is really just the beginning. This was a big moment for us, for Austin, for our family. I am so grateful for the baptism preparation process. For the eight years of teaching moments leading up to this day. For the focused preparation months before, for the prayers, blessing and fasting that strengthed our family.

In a prayer the day before he was baptized he said, "Thank you for letting me know my decision to be baptized is right."

I love the example it set for the younger siblings as they now anxiously await their baptism day. Ruth frequently tells me, "I am going to get baptized tomorrow!!"

The kids and I did a "Eight Is GREAT Baptism Countdown" eight days before the baptism date. Each day we spoke about an important element of the baptism process and covenants complete with games, activities or object lessons. It is the start of a great tradition. I loved having the opportunity to bare my testimony so often of sacred and important principles.

In an effort to help Austin with his preparations I too have reflected back to my own baptism and other covenants I have made since. I know that we are a covenant making people to show our sincere and earnst desire to completely follow the Savior. I continue to have reverence for the Plan of Happiness. Our Father in Heaven is not only loving but so very wise. It gives me comfort to know He has completely prepared the way for us, the path is sure, and there is joy along the way.



Saturday morning the boys had their soccer games. It was so fun to have Grandma Richards and dad watch and cheer them on. After we got back to Vale Austin and Grandma went on a special Grandma date to Dairy Queen. I'm so grateful that Grandma could come and she knows the importance of spending one-on-one time. Thank You!

Austin asked Kurt for a father's blessing before the baptism. It brought the spirit and calmed the nerves of everyone {well, at least Austin, Kurt and I.} :) Thank you Kurt for being worthy and amazing.



Kurt had the opportunity to conduct the baptism service so Austin sat on the stand with him. It was a beautiful sight to walk into the chapel to see Kurt and Austin dressed in white with happy, glowing smiles. It made my heart happy.

The Baptism Program for Briggs and Austin went as follows:

Pianst: mom
Chorister: Karen

Opening Song: When Jesus Christ was Baptized
Opening Prayer: Roger McMullan

Spotlights by mothers

Talk on Baptism: Mike Rankin
Special Musical Number by all Primary Children: I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ

Talk on the Holy Ghost: Claudia Richards

~~~Baptisms~~~~

Welcome by the Bishop

Closing Song: Teach Me to Walk in the Light
Closing Prayer: Mark Marvin



It was beautiful. I couldn't close my eyes, they were glued on Austin the entire time - he did not stop smiling. His smile was sweet and pure especially as he came up from the water. I will never forget his smiling face as he covented with our Father. Sweet spirit to spirit communication.

After he came back into the room there wasn't a seat for him so he came to the back and sat on the piano bench with me. I loved being able to hug n' love on him so soon after. "I feel so happy." And singing the closing song together {Teach Me to Walk in the Light.} I have sung it to him since he was a little tiny baby and will continue to sing it to him as he grows taller than me. Together we will strive to walk in the light.



I am so grateful for all the family and friends that came to support Austin.
We appreciate you!

Grandparents

Bill & Cindy Romans


Claudia Richards

We gathered together for dessert at our house afterwards. It was a beautiful day. Thank you Austin, it was an honor.

4 comments:

'T' said...

Congratulations Austin!

TulsaT said...

What a wonderful post!

Kelli said...

Congrats Austin! I'm glad we could share in your family's special day. It was wonderful.

mom said...

For once I can say I was there! What a glorious day that was! Love you Austin!Don't forget: T.A.K.E. ;-)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...