Saturday, November 5, 2011

In Memory

On Tuesday Sarah Hays Schurtz passed away. My dear friend Jamie's sister Sarah. "Sweatin for Sarah" Sarah. She was kind and giving and charitable. She will be sorely missed. But how beautiful to know she LIVES on, pain free.



I know this will be hard for Jamie. I'm trying to be a good friend. My husband was awesome to let me go down to the funeral which was on Saturday. I wanted to get back for Tyler's blessing on Sunday {and all the normal everyday excitement} so we bought a plane ticket. Since we bought it the day before it wasn't cheap. And so Lucy had her first plane ride! She did awesome and won the hearts of everyone who saw her.

Lucy and I went to the viewing Friday night. It was good to see Sarah one last time. The spirit was sweet and I knew Sarah was there and she was happy. It was wonderful to see Jamie touched and sustained by the spirit during this time of need. I pray she will remember that feeling.

This morning was the funeral. It was very well attended. It was full back into the gym. I was impressed with all the lives she touched. I couldn't help but wonder if my life has had such an impact. Something to strive for. During the funeral her husband of one year spoke. I was really touched by something he said. He said he was happy for Sarah. He knew she was no longer in pain and he was happy. All the tears he cried were selfish tears for himself. I was moved by his genuine, charitable love for his wife. Again it made me reflect inward. I love attending funerals that inspire me to be a better person.

And then we were back on the plane again.

I am SO grateful to have experienced this with Jamie.
I am SO grateful to have known and loved Sarah.
I am SO grateful to my husband for always supporting me in my desires to serve.
I am SO grateful to my parents for always being the most perfect hosts.
I am SO grateful for family who helped watch my kids.
I am SO grateful for the knowledge of a true and living gospel.

I know Sarah's legacy of happiness will live on.



3 comments:

Ben and Elaine said...

Elaine says;

I'm glad you got to attend the funeral, sounds like it was a spiritual feast. You have made an impact on countless people, I know you will continue to do so through out your life. I for one am so grateful for your love and example. love you!

mom said...

please take the picture of me off.

Great write up of your feelings. Wonderful.

Karen and Roger said...

Mom's comment made me laugh. I was just going to say I really loved that picture of mom, dad and lucy. So sweet and seems to perfectly portray "grandparents" and their love for their grandchildren. Leave the picture on your blog. :D

p.s. Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience. I'm glad she's not in pain anymore! It's hard to be the one left behind though.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...