Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Week 3

June 10 - 16

We rushed home from Bear Lake for a ward conference on Sunday. And then the mad dash to get ready for Girl Scout Camp which was Monday -Wednesday. I was the camp cook. Don't laugh, I realize how amusing it is. The assignment was given and obviously I don't know how to say no.

So camp was held in Mrs. Robin's {school director} back yard in Parma. Back in the day the very first girls camp was held on this piece of land so that's really kinda a cool piece especially for 100 years of Girl Scouts.

Emma was SO excited for camp. She woke early and waited for me while Kurt and I got the suburban loaded.


Finally on the way! We had to make a few stops to get the fresh food items and we were finally there.

-

What can I say about this experience? I think the best word to sum up the entire event is CRAZY. Some flat out crazy things happened but in the end it was a positive experience that we could all grow from {hopefully!}

After each meal I breathed a sigh of relief and counted down the remaining meals. A huge weight was lifted after all the meals were cooked on Wednesday and all my supplies were cleaned and put away. I DID IT. It felt like a huge accomplishment. I enjoy Dutch Oven cooking. We did 2 meals that way and it was a new concept to most of the girls {Hispanic background.} So it was fun to teach something new. One of the girls asked where I learned to cook in the Dutch Oven and I replied the Internet. She thought that was funny. The girl scouts were super helpful and I enjoyed teaching.

I was also in charge of two stations {Clouds and Constellations.} This proved to be very difficult since I was the camp cook. The other volunteers were helpful and flexible so it all worked out. But I also felt like I didn't get to interact with Emma and the other Daisies as much.

So I brought Lucy with me. Even though she is the best baby in the world it proved to be a hard thing when I was in charge of all the meals. So I called Kurt and he most GRACIOUSLY drove all the way to Parma Monday night to pick her up. For the rest of the events that happened at camp I am SO grateful that she was not there.

Tuesday night a wind storm came through Parma. It was a typical wind storm with high speed winds but everything changes when you are outside. In a tent.

Side Note: The last 3 weeks Emma has been very worried about the weather. To the point that she cannot cope, and is paralyzed by her fear. She has had a blessing and we are working on other techniques to help her deal with this.

So as soon as the winds started up I knew Emma would be a wreck. I ran to find her. I had Emma and 2 other Daisies on my lap. There were 2 other adults also in the tent to help the other girls. We were singing songs and read books as the wind howled and whipped the tent around. It felt like were we going to get sucked up. The girls were hysterical. At one point each adult was sitting in a corner of the tent {in hopes to keep it from blowing away so completely collapsing.} With 3 little girls on my lap the wind would still pick me up off the ground. It. Was. Craziness. 

The finally let us go into Chelle's house where we ended up sleeping in every floor space available like little sardines. At 2 o'clock that night girls started throwing up. We sent them home through out the day Wednesday. A total of 9 girls got sick and 1 leader. It. Was. Craziness.

There were lots of leadership moments for the girls when things got crazy and so that is a positive. Emma survived a scary wind storm and for that I'm grateful. We can use this as a stepping stone for future scary things we have to conquer. But as these crazy things were happening I couldn't help but look around and search for the priesthood or the strength of the gospel. Granted we were still praying {like crazy!} but I could FEEL the difference, that something was missing from the entire camp.

As an adult I feel empowered that I can do hard things but it is SO different than Girls Camp {and I can't wait for that next week!}

Here is Emma's thoughts:
Making Constellation Pin Books

Emma's tent buddies
{from left to right: Nayalie, Lacatia, Claire, Hailey, Emma, Alisanna, and Ayana.}
                                         The trading Post {a favorite activity!}

The Daisies sleeping like sardines after the wind storm {Emma ended up coming down stairs to sleep with me.}

                                                      Best Friends!

Wednesday morning: After math from the wind storm

The rest of the week was spent unpacking and repacking and preparing for Girls Camp. I received a tender mercy text from my mom that Tim wasn't able to receive his endowment on Saturday. That meant I didn't have to run down to Utah for a quick trip. I was so grateful! The extra time to get camp ready was appreciated. The kids and I did go see Madagascar 3 as a fun diversion.

1 comment:

Elliot and Traci said...

I haven't read your blog forever and it was fun to catch up! You're such a good mom and it looks like your kids are having a having a great summer. Girl Scout camp looks like it was quite the experience! Ha! I'm excited to see your toilet house completed when I come home in September! Keep it up!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...