Sunday, May 12, 2013

w19: Awarded for...

May 5-12, 2013

This was a week of major events as May means an end of school and all the programs we're are involved in.

I usually don't write every single detail of the daily record of events because it seems mundane from week to week and yet I still get the comments on how busy we are {when I haven't recorded it all!} I am this week so hold on for the ride of our past week.

{Side note: all these awards are made-up by me as I write this in an expression of my thoughts about the event.}

MONDAY
Emma Lynn was awarded for the most beautiful Brownie Girl Scout.

After having Girl Scouts after school {which was slightly busy and stressful as we finished up the lose ends of the digital photography badge. That has been a thorn in my side I'll tell you what.} I stayed to help get ready for the Girl Scout award ceremony that started at 6 pm.

Kurt was suppose to pick up the girls from Marti's and meet us at the school. That didn't happen so Spencer and I supported Emma {Austin was playing with friends somewhere...} Emma even volunteered to do a speaking part about the "Meet my Customers" badge. I am proud of her for working hard and being a kind and respectful Girl Scout.

She earned the badges "First Aid", "Meet my Customers" and "Healthy Snacks."





TUESDAY 
Austin was awarded the most excited Webelos Cub Scout.

We had our last Pack Meeting for the school year. We did a BBQ outside. It was pretty windy but that made the temps manageable so I was grateful. Austin was awarded 3 arrows from Bears. Plus he had earned the "Geologist" and "Naturalist" in the two weeks he has been in Webelos. He also received his book, and neckerchief for Webelos. He was very excited and poured over his new book all night until I insisted he go to bed!



Wednesday was all day prep for the up-coming Preschool graduation. The only breaks were found in gymnastics and activity days. The activity day leaders had planned a special event for the mothers. The recited poems, and a short skit while we ate parfaits. They had previously made us cards and pins. It was very thoughtful and kind.

THURSDAY Ruth was awarded the cutest Kinder Bloom Preschool graduate! 
Austin, Emma Lynn, Spencer, Ruth and Lucy were awarded as the most helpful kids ever.

Christy got busy with house building and so I taught for her that morning. As soon as it was over I then rushed to finish all my other projects. There were some definite crazy moments. But I have to say that my kids were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I put Emma, Spencer and Ruth to work on various projects while Austin helped with Lucy.

I was hoping to be at the school at 5 pm. By 5:30 I had the suburban loaded completely full with every single thing I would need. And then as one of the kids put the last load into the car they accidentally hit the lock button. The only set of keys were sitting on the driver's seat. We were locked out.

I was late.
I was exhausted from pulling too many late nights to work on projects.
I was extremely HOT and sweaty. Our temps have been 85-90 all week. It is not survivable pregnant.
I was very alone. I tried to reach Kurt but couldn't get a hold of him.

With all these emotions you cannot think rationally. Especially adding pregnancy on top of it all.

I tried the wire hanger trick with no success and many tears. I went through a variety of tools {jack, shovel, scooter} until finally a wrench scattered my driver's window. Not my finest moment.


The shattered glass everywhere.

It all turns out fine in the end. It always does. We got everything set up in time before people arrived. The program was short and sweet {just like a should be.} And the parents were happy and proud of their cute little preschool graduates. Kurt cooked up a load of hamburgers and hot dogs and helped me cleaned up the tornado that we call our house when we got home. And he just hugged me about the window crisis.

I am grateful for a calm and loving husband who has always supported my preschool endevours. I am grateful for helpful children who were eager to jump in when their mother needed it. I am grateful for the chance to teach Ruth this year in preschool. She has learned a lot and worked hard and it was a joy to share that with her. And I am grateful the year is over. I look forward to spending time with Lucy and Jane this fall.





Friday Austin, Emma Lynn & Spencer were awarded the BEST 4 Rivers entertainers.

We spent all day in Ontario. The little girls and I had family breakfast at the school, Ruth stayed for the assembly while Lucy and I ran an errand. We then had lunch together and the girls went to Kelli's house so I could teach the piano/keyboard class. After school was over Spencer and Emma had piano lessons {we rescheduled because of the busyness of preschool grad the day before.} Afterwards we went to Grandma Romans' for dinner {we brought pizza with us} and got ready in a flurry of activity and some melt down {I was not one of them this time.}

We arrived on time, found a PERFECT spot in the shade right in front, and enjoyed a wonderful show. Both Kurt and I commented that it was our favorite performance at the school by far. I have always enjoyed the spring performances because they focus on dances from around the world and I love the culture of it. 

Plus Emma Lynn has been taking ballet all year on Fridays after school. We had not seen her perform as of yet. I was very excited to see what they had been working on. It did not disappoint and honestly I was shocked and surprise at their performance and especially my daughter. It was so beautiful. I was moved to the point of tears. I was enchanted by Emma. It was lyrical and graceful and altogether quite magical. I loved it.






I thought maybe I was losing it {as far as the tears were concerned. It HAD been a long, emotional week after all.} But I had 5 other ladies express the exact same feelings. I was grateful for the validation that I wasn't crazy and they indeed were magical. So so proud of your hard work this year Emma Lynn. {PS I love the long full tutus! So modest and elegant.} {She danced to "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts}

Spencer's class danced to "Hawaii Hukilau" and this song could NOT have been more appropriate for his personality. He sang the entire song, grinned at the audience and hammed it up.




Emma's 2/3 grade class danced to a Peruvian song, "The Incan City." 


Austin's 4/5 grade class danced to "Baila Morena" from Spain. Their costumers were our favorite by far. And Austin was smiling and having a great time. I really enjoyed watching him. He said it was because he was nervous. ;)



Stellar performance school kids. Thanks for working hard and being leaders.


Saturday All children and their mother were awarded with survival.

The last soccer games of the season we played that morning. Spencer's team continued their winning streak while unfortunately Austin's team didn't win all season. But many skills {like endurance} were practiced. Won't lie, happy to be done.





That evening Ruth danced at the Ontario Library. We use that library a lot and I wanted to support their  function. Plus Ruth loves to dance. There were only 3 little girls who showed up from her class. Glad we went. She was cute as always.


We visited the grandmas afterwards to wish them a happy mother's day. When we got home we watched a movie together {shocking!} "Return to Nim's Island."


All Week long Lucy was awarded with the BEST 
22 month old potty trainer.

She had an amazing week. She wore panties all week {napping and in public.} There were some accidents but only a few at home. Poop in the toilet is no problem. She has done amazing and I'm feeling so humbled and grateful. Her comments are so funny and cute.

~ At first she would tell me, "Mom stinky diaper" every time she needed to go potty. We have progressed to the more traditional phases now. ;)
~ I help her wipe. And since a pregnant mom always needs to go I usually follow her. She wanted to help me wipe. "I help you. I help you. Yay mom!! You did it!"
~ She cheers and compliments herself in third person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Romans Reflections

* Austin told us Sunday {05.05.13} that his armpits smelled like old people. Kurt and I looked at each other in disbelief that deodorant might be apart of our child's life. We determined that using soap might help his problem. UPDATE: he no longer has old people armpits. So glad that for now, soap was the answer.
* Spencer admitted that his classmate Tymber is cute {this is the girl who thought Spencer was SO dreamy that she would faint. He still doesn't know about that fact though!} It was all quite comical.
* Lucy is always so sad when Kurt goes to work. She was talking about "dad's work" and then she switch to "mom's work." I asked her what my work was. "Mom's work is drive." Ahhhh the truth.
* Emma and Austin both had moments of preteen-ness that made me pause this week. Emma was helping me with the preschool graduation cupcakes. She had my phone and the ear buds in and was singing out to Pandora. Today after church Austin got the same ear buds out to listen to the Children's Song Book collection.
* Ruth was so excited that she could wear her black leotard {that has been saved for performances only} at home. She changed immediately after church!
* I love those moments when all 5 are the best of friends, they look out and help each other and there is no yelling or fighting. Last Sunday a creation walk was just one of those moment. They were able to catch a bunch of butterflies.



* In family scripture study we finished the Book of Mormon this week. We had a great testimony sharing session afterwards. The result was Austin and Emma Lynn committing to their own personal scripture study each day. They have done it for the rest of the week without prompting from me.
* Austin likes to change the settings on my phone. He enable a password {quite awhile ago.} I change it every once in awhile. It doesn't take them long to figure it out. When I got on my phone this was my new lock screen.
 I thought it was clever and made me smile.

5 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

Way to go Lucy! I'm so proud of her for continuing the potty training! Yay! She/you are proof of the Montessori philosophy on potty training. :)

As to the shattered car window, it made me think of what Roger does in those situations. He usually just laughs but I think he will become wise like Kurt and realize it's much better just to hug me.(And safer! haha!) Love you!

Karen and Roger said...

ROGER: Austin! You're a stud. I wish that my scouts read their scout books all night!

Also loving Spencer's safari outfit he still wears.

Oh, and everyone else is cute too.

Joseph Richards said...

SHATTERED GLASS!!! TOO FUNNY!!! I would have loved to have seen your kids expressions when you shattered the window. Good for you. That was awesome.

Joseph Richards said...

PS you're an amazing mother!

Elliot and Traci said...

Ohh how I love your updates. WHAT A WEEK! I'm proud of all of them! I'm glad Austin's armpits aren't stinky anymore. Ha! And the shattered window is priceless. Thanks for sharing. :) Your kids are getting too big... I need to come visit again... LOVE YOU!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...