Monday, December 29, 2014

Jane's new skill

September 14-20, 2014

It was enjoyable to have my parents at church with us. They have been to Vale enough times that people were happy to see them and there was lots of questions about their mission. After church I finished making the frosting and gathered up the rest of my supplies for Standards Night. We finished setting up {it all turned out amazing!} I love when everyone comes together to make light work for a good cause.

At the same time my parents were giving a fireside in Vale. Kurt, Emma and Ruth attended. I was grateful for other family and friends who attended since I couldn't support them.

Dad took the kids to school for me Monday morning. That was a nice break. The rest of the morning we enjoyed some time not rushing around. Lots of laundry and lots of books.


I picked up the kids from school, dropped off the boys at cross country and then we came home. I asked another leader to teach my Daisy Girl Scouts and we skipped soccer practice so we could go home and spend time with grandma and grandpa. When Kurt came home we had dinner and then a special grandparents FHE. The kids each had filled out a few things about them which they shared and then we did an interview. That was the highlight for me. I love hearing about their childhood and other memories. I think we should ask a few more every time we get together. :)

Sharing the notes I took from the interview:

  1. Did you have an allowance? Did you save or spend?
M: no. but after 12 babysitting earning 50 cents an hour
D: monthly chart, with 4 chores, earn one penny for each chore. Always save {even candy from Halloween.}

  1. Favorite childhood memory?
M: Friday nights, before Anthony was born they would take the station wagon and go out fishing at Lake Mead. Made their own fire pit and eat. Grandparents would bring roll away bed and sleep on it. 3 kids in sleeping bags in the station wagon
D: one apple tree at grandpa Green’s had the most delish apples and would pick. Basement would fill up with water, put on grandpa water boots and wad down to get a jar of fruit.

  1. Favorite Vacation
M: Denmark with Grandpa. Always wanted to see paintings of Carl Bloch
D: Italy, leaning tower of pisa, Venice, Seneca,  {worse: camping in the tetons because it was raining, cold and everyone got sick.}

  1. Were your parents strict? What happen when you got in trouble?
M: no restrictions. Elmer felt like it was not appropriate to hit. Reason and talk.
D: Yelled at and then grounded. For a long time.

  1. What did you want to be when you grew up?
M: mother, teacher
D:  first thing he can remember is a professional baseball player

  1. What were you like growing up?
M: Even as a kid liked things clean and organized. When she was 5 she walked into a friend’s house: “Wow this is a mess!” Because of so many brothers hung out with her mom. Step in and help when her mother was burned in 3rd grade. It changed her childhood dramatically
D: At school I was joker in kinder and 1st. Very quiet in junior high, only talk to my friends. Afraid to talk to others. Uncomfortable talking a lot.

  1. Did you have chores?
M: house hold chores. Hang all the clothes to dry. The clothes line had to look good, hung in a certain way.
D: morning and night. One milk cow and feed random animals {calves, pigs.}


Kurt and I stayed up making no-sew cape for the preschoolers the next day. That man is my hero. I don't have a truer friend than him.

Preschool was a struggle this week. There are still kids who are struggling to stay in class. 3-4 of them. It is making me question my abilities and my approach. I'm lacking patience for it. Praying it will improve.

My parents spoke to all 3 seminary classes Tuesday while I taught preschool. They addressed mission preparation, random questions about 3rd world countries and why mission go home early. It was a positive experience. I'm grateful for their willingness to jump in and serve when they are here on a vacation. It is a true statement of their characters. I love them.

We skipped scouts after school in order to spend a little time with the grandparents before heading to Ruth and Spencer's soccer games. Kurt was making visits with our High Council so Austin was at home by himself after cross country practice. We had to go early for pictures but gratefully the games were at the same time. The kids both played well. We sat back against the fence, the only spot that provided shade on the field, in between the two fields. Naturally Lucy demands a lot of watching too.


Grandma brought the yellow dress and we took Jane's pictures. That concludes all my girls wearing it.

Wednesday morning my parents got back on the road for California to visit the Richards. We are so grateful they would come and visit. I wish I could have put my life on hold but sadly that's not a reality. Thanks for coming, we love you!!!

When I got out of the car on Wednesday at the school to pick up the kids I hear a hissing from the back left tire. Luckily it wasn't completely flat {yet} so we went straight down to Les Schwabs. We were there for 2 1/2 hours. YIKES. In that time we ate our weight in popcorn and bought a completely new set of tires. And even better - Jane learned to walk!!! We had enough time there for her to master it. Grateful for some fun entertainment to pass the afternoon away. We rushed back to school to pick up Emma from ballet.

Kurt was asked to DJ the Mutual Etiquette Dinner that night. He asked me to come help him. Its a hard job! It gave me a whole new appreciation for our Stake Dance Music leaders.

Preschool continues to be a struggle for kids to stay and me to have patience. Preschool equals no sleep for me. That could be a factor of little patience. It's gonna get better!! Got to be positive :)

Emma started Art again this week. She was a very happy girl. It was a bit of a process to make it happen. In the past years we have had art on Tuesday during Cub Scouts. But since I've started Activity Days and we have moved it to the same time as Cub Scouts that wouldn't work for art. Beth is wonderful and so good to work with us. Meanwhile Emma tells me, "I just have to do art mom. Its the one thing I never want to give up!" So we settled on Thursday. Phew. Glad we could make it work. The other girls weren't able to come and so she had a one-on-one session and got a lot done. That made her happy.

Thursday is our crazy day this year. While Emma and Austin are in Vale with Art and XC practice Spencer does Karate, Ruth Ballet and then we go to Fruitland for Lucy and Ruth's clogging. Rush back to Ontario for soccer games. Phew! Except this week Austin had a meet in Nyssa. Kurt was able to go and support him and then pick up Emma. Austin did well and continues to make process. That's all we ask. It has been a very positive experience. The next meet is in Vale in two weeks. The goal is to not walk.
Dancing during the soccer game

Friday the little girls and I went to Nampa to run errands. We needed supplies for Emma's birthday and food. We also picked up a free table from Melissa Corn for the lodge. I love free. After school Austin went straight to the church to go on a campout. This was the very first one he attended by himself. As 11 year old scouts they are allow to attend one without a parent. And this was it. It caused me a lot of anxiety actually. We continue to have these moments where I'm learning to let go and giving more freedom. It has been the theme of the month. And really I know its just the beginning.
Friday evening we had a BBQ at the Jacobs house. Rusty, and Mick and Sheila, Kathy and kids were also there. It was a great way to get some visiting teaching done for ladies who need a non tradition method. The weather was completely perfect. The kids had a wonderful time and the adults talked until we couldn't see any longer.
 Jane kept dipping her fingers into everyone's food. haha

Saturday morning Kurt and I left the house at 4 am for the temple. When discussing the new school year schedule and trying to find our temple time Kurt suggested this. The kids are old enough to wake up and eat breakfast and do basic chores until we get back. So this was our trial run to see if the plan would work. We did the first session at 6 am and I was able to stay awake! haha Kurt is soooo much more a morning person than I am! Everyone was happy at home, we got back around 9:15 am. We can save money on babysitters AND eating out! Woot Woot! I am over joyed.


That afternoon Kurt's cousin Katie got married at the Willow Creek School. It was a super causal low key event. More like a reunion than anything else but good we could be supportive.


Half way through I ran into town to pick up Austin from his camp out. He had positive things to report and he was still alive so I can breathe again. He had fun whittling this canoe from a stick.

~~~Romans Reflections~~~
- Austin and Emma Lynn obsessed with watching Studio C video clips on YouTube {BYU TV studio.}
- Spencer walked into the kitchen, "If I only had a week to live I'd go to Africa."
- If you say READY Jane will say GO. Super cuteness.

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...