Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Camping

In my quest to PLAY all summer long I'll be camping as much as possible. I LOVE everything about camping. Getting away from everything, camp fires, gorgeous night skies, sleeping snug in tents, nature hunts, dirt, exploring, and smores. I love that time is irrelevant, real life is on a hold and we come one with nature.

We did a quick 24 hour camp out Tuesday to Wednesday with Kylie and her girls Tyler and Sammy, plus Viola, Alisha and her girls Ellie and Addison. Austin and Spencer we very much out numbered (they didn't seem to care they were about as happy as me to be camping.)

After the Father's and Son camp out last weekend Kurt determined that our 2 person tent was no longer suitable for our family. So we purchased a 7 person tent, plus new air mattresses and sleeping bags. Combined with the father's day gifts we gave Kurt we have a new camping make-over.

Austin was very anxious to set up our new tent. Spencer was anxious for the new roasting sticks and mom was anxious for the new lantern. We were all pleased with our new gear. (The rechargeable air pump also proved to be quite fun!)

The company was fun, the kids loved playing together. Austin and Emma were the oldest but all the other kids were really close in age (Sammy and Ruth have the EXACT same birthday!) We bought shovels and other toys for dirt digging, and chalk for rock art. We went on nature walks both days and Austin even found a secret trail by our camp. Of course we ate lots of yummy food and the adults experimented with dutch over recipes (everything turned out so good! Since I'll be doing more camping/dutch oven cooking feel free to share your favorite dutch over recipes with me. Thanks!) Our camp was right next to a creek so lots of water play. Today Tyler really wanted to snorkel so she stripped down and put on her mask to put her face in the creek. It was pretty cute! Of course everyone else had to get naked, too. Austin was the only modest one.

Kylie left before us and when it was time to go Viola's car was dead. I jumped in mine to find someone who had jumper cables and my car was dead too. Awesome. Austin started crying because he was worried how we would ever get home. He wanted to say a prayer. He thanked Heavenly Father that someone would come and help us get home. Then it was time to take action. Alisha ran one direction and I ran the other to search for someone to help. I ran 2 miles before I found someone. They took me back to camp and both cars were already up and running. I'm thankful Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers and that my 6 year old knows that.

A few favorite quotes:

Austin was reading us books before bed and after 3 stories he said, "I need to stop. My vocal cords are tired."

Spencer still had his footy jammies on during our walk, "I'm Jammie Man!"


Our New Tent


Spencer enjoying the creek


Emma's smore perfection


Ruth loves marshmallows too!


Awesome big brother


Nature walk

3 comments:

'T' said...

looks like a blast... someday i might love camping- until then i will look at your camping pictures (smile) misses--

Elliot and Traci said...

HOORAY! I can't wait for you to be able to use all of your fancy new camping gear and make more camping memories on our family trip. I'm excited!

Dirk said...

Way to go girl! I'm amazed and proud of you for jumping in and loving camping and making memories w/your kiddies. I loved camping growing up. Sorry we took you around the world and you didn't get much camping in.
I'm looking forward to the next pics of the Waite family campout.

Hugs and love!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...