Friday, July 10, 2009

A Mother's Ear

There are so many sounds that are music to a mother's ear. The sound of laughter from your children as they play happily together. The sound of your children singing songs they know and new ones they've just made up. The sound of chores being done quickly and without compliant. The sound of a prayer being said unrehearsed, without hesitation, and full of faith. The sound of your child learning to read. And even the quiet sound of peaceful slumber.

I have a new favorite sound. The sound of my children practicing music.

Austin has been learning how to play the piano this summer. He has done well and I enjoy our time together as he practices daily. Today he finished his first piano book. I love the sound of Austin on the piano.



On Tuesday Emma had her first violin lesson. She was expressing some interest as I was learning so I acted on it. We now go together. She was painfully shy at the lesson but as done well the past few days as she practices. I'm excited to share this with her. I love the sound of Emma Lynn on the violin.



My mom sent me my french horn and we received it today. The kids and I had so much fun this morning blaring like elephants as we experimented with a brass instrument. The boys definitely like this! :)



It brought back lots of great memories of being in band and choir and the importance of music in my life. I am excited to share that love with my children, help them develop self mastery and their own love to create something beautiful and sweet. Until then we'll continue screeching, plunking and blaring away - music to this mother's ears.

1 comment:

Dirk said...

So happy the french horn arrived! Great pictures!! Did you ever look for Karen's violin? You'r a busy mom w/all that practicing going on, so fun!

Enjoy the sounds of summer!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...