Saturday, July 4, 2009

Let Freedom Ring!



We had a wonderful 4th.

This morning I ran my first 10K (6 miles.) My goal was to run it under an hour. My time was 50:11 so I was definitely happy with that. It was a faster pace and I was ready to be done which means..............I have SO MUCH training to do to prepare for my 1/2 marathon in August!

Kurt and the kids were waiting for me at the finish line. It was exciting to see them cheering me on. I appreciate their support. Then Austin ran the 1 mile kid run. A little boy tripped right at the beginning so I helped him up and when I looked up Austin was gone. I seriously had to run (not jog) to catch up with him. He ran the whole way!!! I was so proud of him. I loved running with him, hand in hand, pushing each other a little bit farther until we reached the finish line. Totally symbolic of life lessons.



finishing the 10K


Austin and I running to the finish line


The racers

We rode in the parade also. It was our ward's turn to do the float. Kurt pulled the trailer with Ruth on his lap. He told me she was waving and talking and smiling to everyone. Even blowing some kisses, how cute! The other three kids were riding in the back of the pick-up throwing candy. Emma was overwhelmed with all the people and didn't throw a single piece (or smile) while the boys went crazy and chucked it by the hand fulls. After they finished their bag they grabbed Emma's and depleted her stash too. Spencer was even searching the bottom of the pick-up for any left over candy he could throw. I was on the trailer with my violin teacher, Iran Trenkel playing patriotic songs (Battle Hymn, America the Beautiful, Yankee Doodle, This Land is Your Land, My Country tis of Thee, and Star Spangled Banner.) It really gave me a sense of patriotism, and brought the spirit of freedom to my day. I'm grateful for a nation to worship how, where and what I may. I am honored to have been born in a place that allows such freedom. Let freedom ring!







3 comments:

Dirk said...

Congratulations Austin and Rachel!!! Yahoo! Great runners! Loved seeing your day! I noticed Austin had a medal, did Mom get one too? How wonderful to be in the 4th of July parade and share the joy and candy with one and all!

6 miles! Amazing!

Marti Bair said...

I am proud of your running. It is motivating me to "desire" to run.......now where to begin..

Joseph Richards said...

Great job on the 10k! Awesome!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...