Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vegas Road Trip

Last week I decided to take a road trip to Vegas. My dear friend from Iowa, Tessie was being sealed to her family. I really, really wanted to be there to support her. Kurt was wonderful (as always) to support me in that endeavor. Plus I could spend more time with my family since our time seemed so short at the reunion.

The kids and I left Friday morning. By the time we made it to Boise Ruth was ready to stop. I thought to myself, "Oh boy, this is going to be a LONG trip." We went to Target and Barnes and Noble to use some gift cards (stocked up with new music and books for the trip, so fun! Now we're ready to hit the road.) We only stopped in Wells, NV and Alamo, NV after that! What great little travelers! Austin was completely submerged in the world of reading alternating between a book (Beast Quest) and comic book (something about Spiderman the Incredible Hulk.) Spencer and Emma Lynn slept, looked at books, colored and did pages in their workbooks. Plus lots of snacks and sing-a-longs. Good times, Good times! Ruth was riding shot gun and because we could talk, laugh, sing, make faces at each other she was able to overcome her urge to bust out her car seat and scream her lungs out.


The fabulous gas station in Alamo, NV

Saturday Cousin Capers was still going on so the kids and I did a little exploring to get out of the way. We went to The Valley of Fire. That has always been one of my favorite places since I was a kid and I knew Austin would love it. It was 9 am and 104 degrees. Gotta Love Southern Nevada! We played and explored until we were too hot to enjoy it and got back into an AC pick-up.

















We headed to Mesquite, NV after that in search of a car wash, movie theater and swimming pool. We found all 3 but didn't end up doing the movie theater. They have a fun facility at their rect center. We took advantage of their outdoor swimming pool. It reminded me of the pool in Nampa but with less fountains. We had a really good time. They had a big curvy slide and after we had been there about an hour I looked up and saw Austin climbing the stairs to go down. I was really surprised because usually I have to really convince him to try some thing new. He loved it and did it again and again. Of course we didn't have to ask Spencer twice to try it. Shortly after Ruth and I joined in the fun! Emma Lynn watched from the bottom.









I couldn't believe it when we got back in the pick-up to find out that the temperature was 120 degrees! Gotta love Southern Nevada!

3 comments:

Marti Bair said...

Ahh. Ruth has a cute swimming suit on. Sorry I still have her other one. Sorry!

Dirk said...

Loved, loved, loved the valley of fire pics! Another generation continues to scale those mountains! Wonderful! Cutest kids ever and most beautiful mom!!!

Elliot and Traci said...

You are brave! I'm glad that the kids travel so well and I'm excited for your little adventure this way next month! The pictures are so fun.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...