Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back on Track

Last year on my 29th birthday the end of my twenties completely clouded my vision. All I could see, all I could focus on was that I only had one year left. One year in which my youth would disappear and the soul searching questions of aging would appear. The one that was foremost on my mind, "What have you accomplished in 30 years?"

And thus began the frenzied race to "do something" with my life. To check off some things on my life-long-dream-list. I have accomplished running a half marathon, learning to play the violin and scuba diving.

This weekend was a spiritual feast. Friday night Kurt and I went to the temple fasting, Saturday morning I went back to the temple to do baptisms with the youth (and due to the small numbers I actually did baptisms), came home for the adult session of stake conference and then Stake Conference on Sunday. It was wonderful. I have been doing a lot of pondering since then and I have been humbled.

Amongst other things I realized that I have been completely asking the wrong questions as my 30th birthday looms closer and closer. I should have been asking myself, "What kind of person have I become?"

I'm grateful for the things I achieved in my near-30-frenzy. I believe there is greatness in setting and accomplishing a goal. But at the same time I am sadden that I missed the mark for so long.

In the 3 months I have remaining {and most importantly for the rest of my life} the measure of greatness will be within.

3 comments:

'T' said...

30 is a milestone hu? For me you have accomplished being a great example, a person who is full of drive, and true friend, a listener, and a spiritual giantess. I think you're awesome blossom. Any big plans for the 30? Want to come to Idaho and party?

Joseph Richards said...

You're wonderful! You got it before you turned 30, 40, 50, 60 ... You always have been beautiful inside. Here's to becoming better and better, the BEST is yet to be. Hugs and Love!
I vote "New York, New York, it's a wonderful town" celebration! (Ahhhh, the THE-A-tre!)

Joseph Richards said...

Rachel, for some reason my last comment was signed in as from Jose. I guess he checked it our on our computer Sunday. So the last comment is from moi, le mama, and not Jose. Que cosa.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...