Friday, December 17, 2010

4 Rivers

Austin had his Christmas concert this evening. As part of their P.E. they take dance. They have a dance studio in their school and everything. Each class performed a dance and then the entire school sang "Auld Lang Syne" in Spanish and English at the end.

Austin's class did "The Hat" dance. They danced with boy/girl partners. The boys all looked like Zorro with hats and masks covering their eyes. Austin was embarrassed to wear it, "I look ugly." I videoed but I was too far away to get a decent picture. Austin wasn't very into it but presented what was required. What a good experience for him.

UP-DATE ON EMMA & 4 RIVERS
Sunday night she decided that she wanted to try out 4 Rivers for the whole week. I took her Monday morning and was prepared to spend the day with her if needed. I didn't want to leave until she was ready and felt comfortable. She loved getting a uniform to wear and the tiny details that made it different than Austin's uniform(flower buttons on the polo, peter pan colar, LOVES the skirts!)

The kindergarten teacher is Senora Brito. She is newly married and recently finished her Masters. She is young, beautiful and kind. She welcomed Emma with open arms and found the perfect little girl to befriend and show Emma around. Her name is Ella {her mom actually grew up in Vale with Kurt.} She made the difference for Emma. She took her hand and showed her everything and everyone in the classroom. I took a seat in the back and watched. I didn't want her to be dependent on me but there for comfort. By the end of calendar time Emma had raised her hand twice to answer questions. I was shocked. When the first recess came at 10 am I could tell that she was doing well. So I asked her if it was okay for me to leave. "Ya, mom I'm doing good." Okay then. I'll leave.



I picked her up that afternoon with glowing reports from her and her teacher. That night she told me that she wanted to go there for the rest of forever. Okay then. I was shocked again at how easy it was for her to make the decision. I on the other hand was struggling {I LOVE Mrs. Wagner as a kindergarten teacher and would have loved for Emma Lynn to finish out her school year. I also have enjoyed our time in the Vale Elementary school and I knew with Emma's departure we would be saying good-bye. I also feel the concern to maintain our involvement in the community since our children now attend school some where else. Just a few feelings...}

On Friday they practiced for their program so Emma didn't go to school since it was her first week there and she really didn't know the routine. When I picked up Austin from school that afternoon I went into the office her order her uniforms for January. They actually had everything she needed in stock except one shirt. I showed her the formal uniform for performances and said she could wear that evening if she wanted. She did want to and she wanted to sit with her class and perform. I was a doubter that that would actually happen.

That evening I took Austin to his class and then we found Emma's class and I wished her luck and walked away. I kept watching her throughout the night to see her comfort {discomfort} level. When it was time for the kindergartener's to go on stage she didn't hestitate and followed her new classmates. Then she walked on stage and she DANCED THE ENTIRE SONG. You would never have guessed that she had only been at the school for a week by watching her stage. And you never would have guessed that she is my painfully shy, stage fight beauty by watching her on stage. She was amazing. I cried the entire dance. It was beautiful. To see the progress she has made in such a short time, it truly is amazing and feels like a miracle. I don't know where or how she gained the confidence to do that in the one week she attended 4 Rivers but I am grateful.

So now we really are becoming a bilingual family. I had better get myself in gear before Ruth is speaking better Spanish than me!

1 comment:

mom said...

I've got tears too and I didn't even see the performance! YEAH EMMA!!! Very excited and grateful for yoU!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...