Thursday, August 25, 2011

DIY CEO Projects

During our Utah trip for Karen's wedding Maren said something that really struck me. It wasn't a new idea and I can't even remember what our conversation was about but it has been on repeat in my mind since she said it.

"You are the CEO of the home."

As CEO I want to have a beautiful haven that is organized and efficient. So no more waiting for some grand moment. NOW is the time to seize the day.

I have been searching antique and thrift stores for furniture I can transform to beautify and simply my home. I came across this desk.



and transformed it into this




I LOVE how it turned out! The color is beautiful.

Next I found a bookshelf to transform into a hutch to display my Vietnamese dishes. Unfortunately I forgot to take a before picture. But it was all brown and boring and NOW...

before dishes

and after




I know the yellow is bold but I planned it to accent my dishes. I think it works perfectly! It makes me so happy every time I walk by it. Even though it is not a real china hutch I think it works well for the small amount of space I have to work with. The real question is: WHY DIDN'T I DO IT SOONER!??!

Maybe more projects in store for this CEO.
;)

7 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

K, so I wasn't really sold when you told me about your yellow hutch...(sorry!) BUT I really love it! And i'm not just saying that. I really love it and I love the blue dishes in it. Honestly, the dishes make it 100x more beautiful and the complementary colors are FUN! Really Rachel, as they say in French, BIEN FAIT! I think i'm going to pin your furniture on to my pinterest account. :)

Karen and Roger said...

I still love it. :)

Maren Richards said...

Love, Love, LUHHHHVVVE! WE must be on the same wave length b/c today I repainted these old shelves yellow (for A's room) AND I have been searching for an old dresser for Adelaide and some sort of china cabinet/TV stand (for the China I don't have, but just might once I come back from China, haha)! Where did you score those pieces? And I LOVE the bright, bold colors. But mostly I just love you!

Maren Richards said...

Oh, and I would be interested to here about the makeover process....did you have to sand, what kind of paint, etc.

TulsaT said...

Beautiful! Very inspiring.

mom said...

Wow! Great job Rachel! You can't go wrong with blue dishes!!! ha ha Both pieces turned out great! Looking forward to seeing this this wk end. AND ALL THE ROMANS!!! HUGS!

Ben and Elaine said...

Wow! The desk and hutch turned out amazing! I'm so impressed! They look fabulous. I love the colors. Awesome!!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...