Thursday, September 22, 2011

Emma Lynn is Seven

Happy, Happy Birthday Emma Lynn.




First Birthday


Second


Third


Fourth


Fifth


Sixth

Somewhere along the planning brainstorming session we decided to go with the rainbow theme. She adds so much color and happiness into our lives that it seemed fitting. She is such a fun girl to help plan and make decorations and be involved in the process. Together we finished a birthday countdown block set. That is something fun we can all enjoy.

She woke up to this on her birthday.


She had a few presents to open that morning to make the uniform a bit more fun. New shoes, leg warmers and bracelets.

What a super cute seven year old!

About a month ago when school start Emma asked if she could get her ears pierced. I was quite surprised it had come up but told her I would have to ask Kurt before we made a decision. I was even more surprised with his response. "Sure. Sounds good."

What???
Did he hear what I was talking about???
Is he ready for our little girl to grow up???
Shouldn't she be at least 21???

So we decided the birthday present was to get her ears pierced. After talking with a friend I found out that a Doctor's office in Ontario does BOTH ears at the same time. WOO HOO. I was ALL over that. Emma does not handle pain well. I was really worried that we would get one ear done and then {due to the level of drama} not finish the other ear. This was the perfect solution.

So we headed over after school. By the time we got out of the car she was getting really nervous and tears were already coming. I don't really want to go into a lot of detail but the poor girl really psyched herself out. I felt bad for her. She was crying huge crocodile tears and her body was shaking. At that point I told her that we really don't have to do this, we can wait. "No. I want to get them pierced today." As she sobs between each word. OK. Happy Birthday.



Now that all the pain is gone and drama has ended she LOVES them and I have to admit so do I! Its sooo cute. We are both excited for November 3rd when she can have fun accessorizing.

She has Art Lessons on Thursday so that was perfect. We made rainbow cupcakes to share with her class and they started a water color painting.


When dad got home we had dinner {requested homemade mac n cheese} followed by the party. For the games we played "Build a RAINBOW." There was a rainbow on the piano and behind each color was a game we had to play. After we completed the game they could put that color of candy on their plain white cupcake. So when we were finished with all the games we had built a rainbow.

RED {7 Facts}

{PS Austin & I tied with 5 correct answers.}

1. Favorite art medium: CRAYONS
2. Best part about First Grade: EVERYTHING
3. When I grow up I want to be: TEACHER and ARTIST
4. Favorite Book and Movie: JUNIE B. JONES/"TANGLED"
5. What makes Emma laugh? What makes Emma happy? AUSTIN/FAMILY
6. I look up to & want to be like: JESUS
7. The best age to be is: ALL

ORANGE {All About Emma Pictionary}

We drew: school, ear pierced, t-ball, books, and art.



YELLOW {Portrait Contest}

Emma assigned our subject {Sunset} and judged the winner {Spencer!}





GREEN {Red Light, Green Light}



BLUE {All about Emma Charades}

We acted out: prayer, cleaning, helping with Lucy, reading and clogging.

PURPLE {Rainbow Tag}

Austin and I made up this game. Each family member was given a different color and RED {Austin} had to tag ORANGE {Kurt} and so on through all the colors of the rainbow.

We ate our cupcakes and opened presents. She was so excited. Dancing around and grinning. You couldn't help but smile.





The big present was the desk redo project. I painted our computer desk white to put in her room. Currently I'm typing this on the floor because we haven't moved the desk from the guest room into the family room. Maybe tonight...It was a really fun project because I kept it completely a surprise and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. She can organized and create to her heart's content.

Thanks HGTV for teaching me how to do a proper reveal.




I love all the things that make it personal. The vinyl monogram on top. The fun stripes on the drawer for a pop. The perfect green chair. And my design item, easel paper on the side of her desk so she can pull it all the way across her desk to create the perfect masterpiece. I covered a bulletin board with cute fabric {still needs to be hung} and made a vase of flower pens. Her reaction was worth all the effort.


"I LOVE IT! Oh Thank You.
This is the best birthday ever!
You are the best mom ever!"

Sunday we had a birthday dinner with the family. I made her rainbow cake.



We love you so much Emma Lynn. You are a beautiful, loving, talented daughter of God. We are SO happy that you are in our family. Thank you for bringing so much color to our lives.

4 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

I didn't know you were planning on making a rainbow cake! I love it! I've been wanting to make one since I saw it for the first time. I love all your game ideas and Spencer's very concentrating face. :) Happy Birthday Emma! (And great job Rachel!!!)

Maren Richards said...

YOU are FANTABULOUS!! I wish I could have been there for the festivites. Loved the games idea (storing that one away), love the cake, LOVE the desk re-do. Love you! And, for the record, most people aren't ready to have their ears pierced until they're...27...but even then there are tears ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMA LYNN!

mom said...

Wonderful job Rachel! I liked the roll of paper on the side of the desk. Great addition! Looks like you went to IKEA for a couple more flowers. They look great! What a great day for Emma Lynn...even with the opposition of tears and pain. That's life. Happy, Happy 7th Year! Love to the beautiful girls in Vale!

Ben and Elaine said...

All I can say is, wow! Every thing sounded fabulous. Except for the ear piercing, that was so sad. Poor thing. I loved all the colored games, so creative. The desk turned out SO well Rachel. It looks fantastic! I love the three flower lights, the E on the desk, yes the striped draw is awesome and even the flower pencils... it's perfect. You should be so proud. It's a work of art! :) Emma does have the best Mom!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...