Sunday, June 22, 2008

Breakthrough

When I was 12 my eyesight started to fail me. For the next four years I wore glasses until I convinced my parents I was responsible enough to wear contacts. I hated wearing glasses with a passion. I felt insecure, weak, ugly & like a total geek. It was such a relief to have contacts and to feel like "myself" again. I'm currently 28 years old and until last week I would still feel insecure, weak, ugly and totally geeky anytime I had to wear my glasses. It seemed like my whole personality was hidden behind those glasses. How come I wasn't strong enough to move pass the teenage insecurities every time I had to wear glasses as an adult?

It was how the glasses made me feel when I wore them.

When I was down in Utah I had a new eye exam and brought brand new specs. Glasses have changed in the past few years, they've become cute and trendy. That was definitely in my favor. Due to the lovely allergy crisis in Vale this week my glasses have gotten a lot of use (EVERY day for a week - that's major for me!) I even wore them to church today and I felt PRETTY & CONFIDENT! I was myself with specs on. This is very noteworthy in my life, a major break through from geekiness!

This picture is dedicated to my super sister Karen (a.k.a. Sister Richards!) who is the queen of funky self portraits.

3 comments:

'T' said...

you look great in specs! those are sweet glasses! misses-tiniel

Tracey said...

Super cute! I hope to get my eyes lazered someday:) I just think it would be nice to not have anything over my eyes or in my eyes and just waking up being able to see.

Maren Richards said...

Cuh-ute!! I love them Rachel, and they do look great on you. I bet the kids love what a stylish mom they have :) We love you guys!!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...