Thursday, September 11, 2008

How Do You Know When To Go?

So my baby Ruth was still sick this morning. And I had to teach preschool. I didn't want to get the other kids sick so my super sister-in-laws (Marti & Kelli) each took a turn watching my 3 kids. Ruth was miserable the whole time. That was hard for me, I was very distracted cause I needed to be with my baby.

As soon as the last kid was safely in the arms of their parents I called our Dr. and rushed her over to Ontario. They quickly ruled out all the normal causes of fever in a baby. Since she had no other symptoms & a high fever over a course of time the Dr. thought it was a bladder infection. So they inserted a catheter in order to take a urine sample. Within seconds it came back positive. Treatment: 3 days of antibiotics via shots followed by 10 days of oral antibiotics. After all antibiotics have been completed we will take her to Boise for an ultrasound of her kidneys & bladder to make sure there is no lasting damage or physiological problems (will she be prone to bladder infections?) They will have to sedate her for the ultrasound. Apparently it is standard procedure to do the ultrasound if a infant gets a bladder infection due to their age (or lack thereof!)

You know how when your kid gets sick & the virus/infection/germs take over & your child is completely consumed by the sickness, it swallows them up. I always miss my kids terribly when that happens. For one thing it's so stinkin' sad that they are so miserable & can't be their cute, lovable, sweet, normal-sometimes-whinny self. They can't even smile. It's pathetically sad. Second, it's just no fun to have sick kids. I'd much rather have fun with them! Well Ruth was swallowed up in this fever since Monday & I missed my sunshine girl. The shots of antibiotics were amazing because her fever actually broke & SHE SMILED AT ME! There is a ray of sunshine through the darkness of sickness.

I always battle the exact time when I should take the kids into the Doctor. I absolutely HATE taking them in & having them declare "it's viral, there's nothing we can do." They all look at you like you're a complete moron, wussie mommy & pathetic care taker. I HATE feeling so belittled. I do know my kids & they really were sick! Maybe it's time to get off my high horse because it's really not about me & some silly feelings of belittlement from the Dr. staff. So ever since I've gotten home I keep wondering if I should have taken her in sooner. I noticed last week that her urine was starting to smell different. I kept thinking she had a 24 hour fever bug (it's going around - Emma even has it) but she couldn't ever seem to shake it. And then you have their father who has been appropriately dubbed as having fever phobia. The minute any child's temperature goes higher than 100 degrees he wants me to take them into the doctor. And I seem to delay until I know for certain...So what IS the right answer? How do you know when to go?

2 comments:

janalee said...

:)found you on Tessie's blog- I'm so sorry Ruth has been sick.
As far as your dr visits, I think it sounds like you need a different doctor- one who will understand that you worry about your kids, and need advice and sympathy- not condescension. I've brought mine in for colds before :) because they were coughing badly and I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else [strep throat] going on. And I've put off taking mine to the doctor's, then felt guilty and like a bad mother because I should have had them in there immediately. :)That probably doesn't help LOL. Maybe praying?

Krystal said...

Rachel, I think that you did the right thing. Mommies always know when something is wrong. So don't let anyone belittle you or even get to you. Your kids know that you will always take the VERY best care of them. Hang in there and little Ruth will be better very soon and your family will be back to normal.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...