Saturday, March 7, 2009

Larger than Life

For Spencer's 3rd Birthday (tomorrow) Kurt & I decided that a sandbox would be the perfect gift for him. Instead of buying one that was small and not very sturdy Kurt said he would build one. It is a long running joke in our marriage that he'll build me anything I want. He was serious this time. I was excited. The plan was to build it today so he could play with it since his birthday is on Sunday.

Kurt went to Ontario to buy the pipe and sand yesterday. He put all the supplies outside and then came to get me so we could decide exactly where we wanted to put the sandbox. "It's a bit bigger than I planned." NO JOKE! The sandbox is about the size of our living room and about 1/4 of the backyard. This is a very serious sandbox!

Meanwhile we wanted to keep it a secret from Spence so he couldn't go in the back yard at all from Friday evening to Saturday afternoon. It was killing him! Especially since he knew dad was out there working on...something...I kept him busy with all kinds of fun things. He really didn't have a clue what was going on. I gave him a shovel set for a present and then told him he could go outside and play. He went straight to his old diggin spot. I had to show him the large area in the backyard now dedicated to his diggin pleasure. He was very excited! That box is going to get a lot of use especially as the weather warms. What a great present, Thanks Kurt for building such an awesome sandbox!


Bringing the pipe home


pieced together & in the right spot


laying the tarp underneath for the bottom


filling it with sand (lots and lots and lots of sand!)


Kurt's birthday message after the sand box was finished


Spencer's larger than life sandbox with a candle to match


Happy kids at play


Happy Birthday Spencer!

4 comments:

TulsaT said...

That is possibly the greatest sand box ever! Well done Kurt, Happy b-day Spencer!

Elliot and Traci said...

I LOVE IT! Kurt is such a great father. And I think I want to come play! :)

Dirk said...

Wow, Kurt you really think big!!! You could invite the Primary over! I guess the preschoolers are going to love it too! Yeah for Spencer!!! I hope you have many happy hours in your amazing sandbook! You are loved!

Grandma

Joseph Richards said...

go big or go home, I guess...now you need a few cats...

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...