Thursday, September 30, 2010

Time to Say Good-bye

The kids have been in school for 6 weeks now.

The day before Emma turned six it officially turned fall.

Emma has been six for a week now.

I guess its time to say good bye to summer...can you tell I'm a little hesitant to? Maybe I'm expecting to pull some magical powers out of my non-existent hat. The power to turn back the hands of time. To go back to the endless, carefree summer days. But alas I can't find that hat.

It was a good summer.

Super, S U P E R l o w key.

All routines and schedules completely dissolved and we.just.were. It felt sooo good.

I had a flashback of the early days of motherhood. The simple days.
{{contented sigh}}

It was the complete opposite of the summer of 09 when I was never home and constantly on the go. I didn't want to go a n y w h e r e. And we didn't. Except for camping. I love camping. It makes me happy.

I personally read 14 books this summer. {{even bigger happier contented sigh}} Reading is the perfect getaway. Amongst them were the Love Comes Softly series and many of Shannon Hale's books. And one truth was born this summer: I have a love for Christian Romance. Laugh if you will but I'm standing firm in my conviction. I love a good chick flick love story. I know with Christian Romances they will be clean and even make your soul feel good as you come to know the Lord and accept His divine grace and mercy as you are born again in His everlasting love {yes sometimes skim reading is necessary for the preachy parts.}

Looking back I'm pretty sure that I was more depressed than I'd ever like to admit during those warm care free months. Couponing was a needed blessing.

The kids and I made a TO DO list for the Summer. We called it our 60 Days of Summer. We made a big poster and hung it on the door to the preschool room. We didn't accomplish everything on our list but we sure had fun. I'm pretty sure that is what matters most.

While I blogged about a few of these as they happened our complete 60 Days of Summer consisted of:

having an ART camp, putting together a Popsicle/lemon aide stand, going to Roaring Springs, going on a hike, plan and executing a dinosaur dig, watching an outdoor movie, running through the sprinklers, making an ice cream, camping out at Strawberry, learning about our flag on flag day (June 14th), making and eating rainbows, having a PJ day, watching Toy Story 3 in the theatre, making smores, pull weeks, bake cookies {impressive since it was another GREEN summer}, D.I. closet sale, make recycled ART, have RBF {a.k.a. Root Beer Float}, make a home made slip n' slide, have a dance off, go on a father/son cam pout, design a board game, wear red white and blue, have a sleep over at our house, throw a Why We LOVE Dad party, mail a care package to Elder Richards, have read-a-thon, go fishing, go swimming as a family in Vale, BUG day, go to the library, camp some where new, go to the Nampa water park, have a picnic dinner, go to the Dollar Store, have a water melon spitting contest, blow bubbles and host a BBQ.


{June 2010}






Good bye summer, you were good to us this year.

5 comments:

Elliot and Traci said...

Perfect. Those pictures are absolutely perfect. :)

'T' said...

What a great summer to remember. I haven't read a good Christian novel is ages, that's it, I'm going to the library! Tell me some specific books, k? I too like Shannon Hale, so does Andrea. xo

Kelli said...

What a good tribute to our dying friend I like to call 'Summer of 2010'. It was a great few months and cannot wait for the birth of our new friend 'Summer of 2011'.

What I'm trying to say is, I miss summer already too!!!

TulsaT said...

Precious.

Ben and Elaine said...

It was a great summer. Thanks for the wonderful week+ we spent in Vale. We all loved it!! So glad you made sweet memories... :)

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...