Sunday, March 21, 2010

A New Season

One month ago when our bishop was called into the Stake Presidency we knew that change was coming.

It came today. Kurt was called to be the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric.

It has been an interesting month since we knew the change was coming. The spirit has been working on me, on Kurt, on both of us individually and together. It has been a very humbling experience as we look at the type of people we want to become and the process it will take to get there. It is a daily improvement process. I'm grateful for the enlightenment I've received and the peace that came as I aligned my will with the Lord.

I am so excited for Kurt! This will be such a wonderful opportunity to serve and grow. He will do such an amazing job.

He is serving with Bishop Ron Froerer and Scott Lamb. They were all set apart after church. Bill ordained Kurt has a High Priest first and then President Peterson set him apart. One of the sweetest experiences was during his setting apart as I looked at my kids (to check on their behavior) and watched Austin sit more still than I ever thought he could with his eyes closed and ears perked. You could see him listening intently. He understood the importance of this experience. He wrote this card for Kurt:

"Dear Dad,
I love you so much. I'm excited you get to sit on the stand thingy. I will be a helper at church. From Austin."

Their first meeting was 3 1/2 hours long. He is feeling slightly overwhelmed. There is definitely a learning curve. Kurt is over Young Women so I'm excited to work with him! :D Inside contection to the Bishopric, sweet!

And now it's official. It is time to get busy.

I will miss Kurt as I know our life has just changed dramatically but I also know our family will be blessed for his service. President Peterson's words to me pretty much summed it up, "Welcome to 30 years of sitting by yourself in church."

6 comments:

Ben and Elaine said...

Congratulations Kurt!! We're so happy for you and know you'll do an amazing job, espcially with such a wonderful, supportive wife. :) I've got to go to bed, I'll up date my blog tomorrow... I love you guys and congrates!

Kelli said...

Kurt will do great and your family will be so blessed. Do you realize you wrote "inside CONTENTION to the bishopric"? Was that on purpose?!?!

mom said...

I caught the contention thing too. Funny. I'm thrilled for Kurt and all of you. It's wonderful! Congratulations Kurt! You'll do a great job, b/c you are a good listener, think of others and you're not hesitant to do the right thing even when it's not easy. You also like silly jokes, that is always a plus, ha ha! Go forward with faith!

Elliot and Traci said...

I'm so excited for you guys. I know Kurt will do a fantastic job. He is a true man of God and has alawys been a great example to me. I love Austin's note that he wrote. Love you guys!

'T' said...

Oh Rachel what an exciting season. Best of luck and please tell Kurt congratulations from someone who really knows and appreciates his dedicated service from seeing him in the T6 ward. Best of luck to you also, because the call is for both of you.

TulsaT said...

Don't worry about sitting alone. That was my biggest worry when I decided to come back to church all those years ago, but you made a place for me and kids with your wonderful family and now I am sure that someone will do the same for you, that's my prayer.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...